Notices

Who here actually runs water/alky injection?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2002, 11:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who here actually runs water/alky injection?

Im curious who here actually uses it and has personal or some experience with it and what it has allowed you to do or helped you prevent.
Old 11-11-2002, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Who here actually runs water/alky injection? (blufke)

Just installed the JR liquid injection thingie. Not much of a difference, runs better on hot days but I'm only making 4 psi. With more boost only time will tell.
Old 11-11-2002, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who here actually runs water/alky injection? (Replica667)

anyone?
Old 11-11-2002, 08:38 PM
filetofit

OT: What'd you do to get down to 94%? You bang a mod's old lady?
Old 11-11-2002, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Who here actually runs water/alky injection? (filetofit)

lol
Old 11-11-2002, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have been using water/alky injection for quite some time now. I first used the spearco water injection kit, but recently upgraded to the aquamist stage 1s kit. I have been raving about the effectiveness of water injection for quite sometime now on h-t, but there isnt much of an audience to listen. It works, point blank. I have successfully ran 18lbs of boost using my 60-1/t3 on my stock block b16a, this was using pure methanol giving me an octane boost of around 105 octane in conjunction with 93 octane. I am running the aquamist kit now on my newest engine combination. I am running 14lbs daily using the kit with no detonation at all, this is tuned with hondata stage 4b, 720cc injectors. My newest engine set-up going in this winter is going to use a "wet" style injection with the aquamist kit that will give it the neccessary dispersion for repeatible and predictable spray patterns into all cylinders. If you have anymore questions, please ask them in this post, I want more people to see and use the water injection technology.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Who here actually runs water/alky injection? (boosted hybrid)

FYI, a lot of turbo'd nissans use it with success.
http://www.se-r.net/about/200sx/scc/...injection.html
Old 11-11-2002, 09:39 PM

If you have anymore questions, please ask them in this post, I want more people to see and use the water injection technology.
I'd like to hear more about this "wet" style kit you are going to use, and how it is different from your previous aquamist kit. Water injection is something I have been considering for my setup.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:04 AM
New User

Default Re: Who here actually runs water/alky injection? (sharkcohen)

Where can I buy the aquamist kit?? How much does it usually run? Definately looks interesting.
Old 11-12-2002, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who here actually runs water/alky injection? (filetofit)

i really dont know why its so low. i posted a joke thread about racing a lingenfelter vette in my stock vx. then it got deleted and i guess my percentage went down, i dunno why. maybe someone can raise it back up.

im considering just putting together an injection kit myself and it will run around 180 bux and uses a nice pump and other nice stuff. anyone have a custom kit or recommend why not to do it?
Old 11-12-2002, 02:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

also, how good is the aquamist kit and is it worth the approx. 400 bux when i can build a fairly nice kit for 180?
Old 11-12-2002, 02:11 AM
New User

people on the supra forums are making insane power with meth, stock fuel system and the aem pms. they make like 850 rwhp on the stock fuel system with 65% duty cycle!

thats not normal.

Just curious how do you have the hondata and the meth tuned together. I would really like input on that please
Old 11-12-2002, 02:37 AM

Default Re: Who here actually runs water/alky injection? (simple4012)

i will be using the spearco kit with my setup. it was, in fact, boosted hybrid who helped convince me that water/alky injection is worth it. the spearco kit it low buck but it does the job. the aquamist kit is nicer and has the potential for more precise tunability. DSM and GN guys have used this technique alot with great results.

for more info you can look here:
http://www.geocities.com/rad87gn/tech/alcohol.html
there is a lot of basic info there and some FAQ as well.

some people will knock water/alky injection, saying its just a band-aid for poor tuning. however, a cooler intake charge and a higher effective octane rating are proven results. is an intercooler a band aid for poor tuning?

a properly tuned system WILL make more power. it will also help increase the margin of error for those of us tuning higher comp/high boost motors. i say use it.
just my $.03
Old 11-12-2002, 06:57 AM
New User

Default Re: Who here actually runs water/alky injection? (downpipe)

ttt

good topic!
Old 11-12-2002, 08:55 AM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

I'm putting together a system. I bought a pump from Northern tool.com, a pressure switch from napa, and everything else from mcmaster.com. Seems like getting it going for under $150 is easily possible. I'm probably just going to tap into the stock windshield washer fluid resevoir, and use regular washer fluid. Here is an approximate price list:

Shurflo 12v 1gpm 60psi pump $45
Misting nozzle, brass $3
Solenoid, 12v $17
Adjustable pressure switch $27
Hose/wires/switch/relay/brass fittings @$30

I have not finished or run it yet, so I too am intrested in hearing from anybody here who has used it before. Please chime in if you have used it and have some results to share!
Old 11-12-2002, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The wet style system i am making is going to use 4 individual sprayer nozzles, directly from aquamist. I am using .7mm nozzle now, so 4 .2mm nozzles will be used on my intake manifold. Much in the same way the injectors are set-up with a fuel rail, these nozzles will be set-up. A nozzle in each runner above the injectors, then a rail similar to a fuel rail which i am going to machine will be used to feed all the nozzles in a similar manner. Its easy, precise and will def. work.

As far as hondata and water injection are concerned, I tune the hondata normal, meaning disconnect the water injection while tuning at whatever boost level I am at. I tune for 12.5:1 air/fuel, a bit high for my liking for high boost street, then I hooked back the water/alky injection. I keep the nozzle size fairly low on the aquamist .7mm being middle range of nozzle sizes available. It'd be neat to calibrate my oxygen sensor to work with the methanol and see what kind of air/fuel i am running with them. There is no adjustment with the aquamist kit as far as how much spraying of liquid is done. I mainly use the kit to surpress denonation, as well as lower intake charge temps. It works dramatically well, and i have never gotten any knock, even when running excessive boost pressures that should have blown my engine even tuned on honata, haltech, efi pms or whatever standalone i was using at the time.

As far as making your own kit, its kind of hit and miss. I priced out making my own kit a few years back, but the cost was basically the same as the spearco kit, so i just went with the kit. As far as the aquamist goes, the quality of the components are top notch. Its really that much better than the spearco kit, its expensive but you pay for what you get. If i was going to build my own kit, i'd be based off of the aquamist pump, sprayer nozzles and fittings. Even then it would still run around 300.00.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Spearco

I paid $180 brand new. It kept my charge pipe COLD to the touch (I run no intercooler @6psi)

Old 11-12-2002, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who here actually runs water/alky injection? (maztur)

keep it coming! and where can i get info on the spearco kit? anyone know the cheapest place to get both the spearco and aquamist kits?
Old 11-12-2002, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i don't know about water, but i definantly go with the alcohol injection!

i run an 18oz. slimline container with 1/8" ID hose and 50psi pump.

the line runs up the A pillar and hangs at the top so i can get an injection anytime with the flip of the dash mounted switch. it comes in handy when i happen to pull up to a Vette or Camaro SS. it keeps me calm and collected.

i usually go with Bacardi, it's good stuff but i little costly. oh well...

Old 11-12-2002, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who here actually runs water/alky injection? (sweet)

There is nothing wrong with using water sprayed into the engine. Water atomizes, vaporizes and basically turns to steam when its injected. There is no hydrolock or whatever other rumors that water injection gets. You must, repeat, you must run distilled water or your sprayer nozzle will clog up, and probably will get mineral deposists in your engine (although highly unlikely). The aquamist pump is a dual purpose pump, able to run water and alcohol. The pumps that you are using, or planning to buy make sure that they operate at high psi (aquamist is 100psi or greater), and that they can handle pumping alcohol. There are specific pumps that are made for alcohol, using alky in a water based pump will either ruin the pump immediately or wear away at the life of the pump. Also the aquamist pump has a long service life, cheaper pumps will fail after awhile. Dont skimp on buying a pump, it will come back to haunt you.

[Modified by boosted hybrid, 6:00 PM 11/12/2002]
Old 11-12-2002, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i figure any stainless steel pump should work fine. resists the alcohol corrosion. stainless internals that is.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:49 AM
BoM
Honda-Tech Member

do u have times w/ and w/o the injection?
Old 11-12-2002, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who here actually runs water/alky injection? (BoM)

do u have times w/ and w/o the injection?
it doesnt seem like it would change times much, if at all by simply adding the injection. it would allow you to run more boost because of the decrease in chances of detonation so thats where the better times would come from.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:34 PM
New User

Ok guys after reading, Im really getting more and more interested. I have a few questions. Is the water or alky always injecting?? Only under boost? I dont know where I can purchase a kit so I cant really see what it comes with to determine if it just comes on with a switch or what.

Is water good enough(so I can get a spearco) or should I go ahead and get the aquamist and run alcohol? Thanks a lot for the help...any more informative websites on this welcomed.

Boosted hybrid: Do you have any cons so far with the injection?
Old 11-12-2002, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Who here actually runs water/alky injection? (IntegD)

Ok guys after reading, Im really getting more and more interested. I have a few questions. Is the water or alky always injecting?? Only under boost? I dont know where I can purchase a kit so I cant really see what it comes with to determine if it just comes on with a switch or what.

Is water good enough(so I can get a spearco) or should I go ahead and get the aquamist and run alcohol? Thanks a lot for the help...any more informative websites on this welcomed.

Boosted hybrid: Do you have any cons so far with the injection?
here are links that have taught me a lot:

http://www.turbomirage.com/water3.html
http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/fuel...lkyrecipe.html

oh and the thing about the water/alky injection always being on, you simply wire a boost switch to the relay that turns on the pump that comes on at a desired boost level.

Quick Reply: Who here actually runs water/alky injection?