Notices

Who has an opinion of Payne Technologies (Troy MI) and Wired SpeedLab (Dayton OH) and their Hondata

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has an opinion of Payne Technologies (Troy MI) and Wired SpeedLab (Dayton OH) and their Hondata

Im in Cincinnati OH where no one has Hondata experience. The two cars I know of with Hondata both were tuned at Payne Technologies. Wanted to get feedback from others who have been tuned there. How was your experience and were you happy with the numbers?

The few tunes Ive seen from them seem very conservative. Help me make my decision...

also, Wired Speedlab is listed as a tuner on Hondata.com also. I didnt know they actually tuned cars. any opinions there?
Old 02-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Who has an opinion of Payne Technologies (Troy MI) and Wired SpeedLab (Dayton OH) and their Hond

Wired Speed Lab has great prices on Hondata. The owner, Kyle, knows how to tune and install the unit. You can buy from him with confidence.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:15 AM

Default Re: Who has an opinion of Payne Technologies (Troy MI) and Wired SpeedLab (Dayton OH) and their Hond

Kyle / Eric can tune your hondata
Colletti Motorsports in Centerville can tune it also since they have a dyno
option 3 tune it yourself
Old 02-02-2004, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by earl &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wired Speed Lab has great prices on Hondata. The owner, Kyle, knows how to tune and install the unit. You can buy from him with confidence.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed. I bought my Hondata from him (although I never used it) and met Kyle at SEMA and he was a nice guy.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hasn't blundar tuned a few Hondata systems? Or, does he work exclusively with uberdata and DIY tuning?
Old 02-02-2004, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

as far as I know, dave doesnt do much in the line of Hondata. Hes a uber genius but Im getting rid of the uberdata (props to Dave for helping me with it while it lasted) but I found a s200b for a price I cant pass up. I already have it so Im not looking into buying it from Wired (although it originally was bought from them and they have super awesome prices!).

I emailed wired speedlab hoping for a response to cars they have actually tuned. I know I could take the extra few hours of driving and go get tuned by Payne in like 2 hours or less and already know their reputation for Hondata tuning. All I really want is to see some number proof that kyle or whoever else tunes there can put down good power and precision tuning. kyle is a great business man but have yet to see a car tuned by him. last time I even talked to him he wasnt a hondata approved tuner.

trust me.. Id love to drive 45 minutes rather than like 6 hours. just want the best tune for the buck.

anyone else?
Old 02-02-2004, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You already know my opinion. but, Tom did an excellent job tuning mine and craig's cars this past year. He is a bit expensive though. He has a MD also which is nice. Or we could fly st00pid in which is what i want to do for the next setup
Old 02-02-2004, 01:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i liked the st00pid idea but i need tuned in the next month. cant wait till summer.

how conservative was your integra tune from payne?
Old 02-02-2004, 01:55 PM

i have had tom do alot of work for me he is a great guy all i can say is you get what you pay for i have never been disappointed with payn. if you ask him what a part will give you he will tell you and he is right on the money of what that part will do for you. with a AWD dyno and the other guys in his shop knowing drag and auto cross he can do more then just tune the car for u. i have seen 502 big block twin turbo boat and cobra kit cars in his shop along with a few carb big block cars that he has tuned really good guy.

Old 02-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for late crew... anyone ever tune thru wired speedlab/colletti??
Old 02-02-2004, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (phiberoptik)

payne tech- -first class.
Old 02-02-2004, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (grndcont)

http://www.collettimotorsports.com

Colletti
I give him two thumbs up any time

Seen lot of his work, and even worked on my car

geart work!
Old 02-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USDM 4G VTEC)

dont forget to use this thread as reference when you talk to steve tomorrow, felix...
thanks again!
Old 02-02-2004, 06:59 PM

i wouldnt let colletti tune ****...couple years ago i took my supra there to tune it, first off they put the front wheels on the the runners...then steve wouldnt touch the afc, he made me do all the tuning (which i dont really care) and whenever he suggested a certain % change it always turned out to be waaay off what it need to be...and during the entire session he would get in my car, do a pull then walk away out of site for up to 30min sometimes...
after only about 10-11 pulls, and 3 hours later (due to him walking away) i finally got it how i wanted it...then he has the nerve to give some random guy that walks in a printout of my dyno sheet so he could show his friends...then on top of that charges me out the *** (around $350, and thats with a $75 voucher) and im the one that did all the tuning and there was only about an hour or so that i actually spent tuning the car..the rest of the time i was waiting around on him...

oh and i had to run the computer program the hole time, he sat in the car, pressed the button, did a pull then walked away.

very unproffessional IMO. and ive never heard of any car they have tuned come out with decent numbers

its just make the trip to payn.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I went to payn back on jan 14th (horrible snow storm while I was there too-took me 4 1/2 hrs to get home = 80 miles) to tune my b16 w/ hondata s100b @ 7lbs, and I will say that I think Tom is very professional and has an excellent shop/set up. to payn
Old 02-02-2004, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tom Payn tuned my old car. He did a good job. I honestly wanted to see higher numbers but I also didn't want my engine to have any problems either.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mustang dyno will read lower than a dyno jet, and I was happy with my safer/ conservative tune from payn (stock block jdm b16) w/ itr head/ctr cams (216hp and a very flat tq curve from 3800 to redline -we let off @ 8250 ).
oh and this was @ 7psi

Tom expressed his relative displeasure in tuning turbo + ctr cams (he likes tuning on gsr cams)- and his prediction was "we'll be lucky to break 200 whp."
His first pull he let off @ 6800 and we got 201whp. He was actually a bit surprised. we finally worked our way up to 8250 and he pulled some more timing around 7800 or so but the hp curve is a pretty steady slope up (you almost cant see the vtec crossover its so smooth) on the dyno graph. I finally just bought a scanner and I wish I knew how to post it up...hint hint

Modified by markaria at 9:30 PM 2/3/2004
Old 02-03-2004, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump... any more experience...

Im also maybe just waiting and street tuning with a friends fjo wb o2 and waiting for jeff (boosted hybrid) to make a trip my way.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:46 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Kyle's a personal friend of mine and I have nothing but good things to say about his knowledge and professionalism . Wired SpeedLab = good people.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

but does HE tune or does steve colletti tune? Ive emailed them asking and no reply... also, Id like to see Kyles tuning resume first... as Ive said before he is a great businessman but I want an experienced tuner.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:56 AM

talk to kyle or eric over @ wiredspeed... great prices and excellent service
Old 02-03-2004, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by markaria &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Mustang dyno will read lower than a dyno jet, and I was happy with my safer/ conservative tune from payn (stock block jdm b16) w/ itr head/ctr cams (216hp and a very flat tq curve from 3800 to redline -we let off @ 8250 ).

Tom expressed his relative displeasure in tuning turbo + ctr cams (he likes tuning on gsr cams)- and his prediction was "we'll be lucky to break 200 whp."
His first pull he let off @ 6800 and we got 201whp. He was actually a bit surprised. we finally worked our way up to 8250 and he pulled some more timing around 7800 or so but the hp curve is a pretty steady slope up (you almost cant see the vtec crossover its so smooth) on the dyno graph. I finally just bought a scanner and I wish I knew how to post it up...hint hint</TD></TR></TABLE>

What boost level? I made 204whp on 10psi on stock usdm b16a2. Hoping for 220+ at 7psi with my b18c engine.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:10 AM

Payn Technologies...

Great guy and excellent tuner. I wouldn't take my car anywhere else.

Old 02-03-2004, 09:15 AM

I went to visit Kyle last fall when they moved into their new place and they do not have a dyno there. The last time that I talked to him they were trying to get some sort of discount for their customers that they sent over to Coletti. I don't know how that ever worked out.
Old 02-03-2004, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (brkrnu)

problem is I cant get anyone to reply to me over there... if they trust colletti, I MIGHT consider it, but only if I hear some good things from them.

Quick Reply: Who has an opinion of Payne Technologies (Troy MI) and Wired SpeedLab (Dayton OH) and their Hondata