Notices

who else has done stupid things when putting together setups??

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 04:36 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default who else has done stupid things when putting together setups??

Been driving my civic around for the past two weeks ironing out bugs in it after finishing up my turbo install. This isnt the first turbo car I've had...nor the first turbo civic I've had. (probably the last though...stupid back).

anyway, ever since getting it running I've had oil puddles under the car. got up under it yesterday and scratched my head for 20 minutes until I figured it out.

damn oil pan bolt was loose as hell and about halfway out of the pan lol. Guess I never re-tightened it after draining all the old oil out.

I can only imagine if it had vibrated out all the way while I was on the highway.

anyone else done stupid things like this??
Old 04-02-2008, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: who else has done stupid things when putting together setups?? (stackz)

head gasket upside down and backwards ? (on a vtec engine)

1 and only time i did that... what a phuckin mess..
Old 04-02-2008, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: who else has done stupid things when putting together setups?? (stackz)

i forgot to retension my tensioner for the timing belt one time and it jumped teeth, broke my woodruff key in half, bent some valves, and ended up in me needing a new cam.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: who else has done stupid things when putting together setups?? (SOHC_MShue)

I got you guys beat. I took the end of my middle finger off with a timing belt about 5 or 6 years ago. Just did cam gears/ timing belt on my b18c1 and a friend asked what that noise was (inside cover rubbing - front cover was not installed yet because I didn't trim it yet) and I had gloves on and just pushed on the inside cover to stop the noise, when I was pulling my hand away, the glove was sucked into the t belt. Now that was stupid and a fvcking mess. to me.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who else has done stupid things when putting together setups?? (jmm96gsr)

I was in a rush to finish my motor and installed the thrust bearing in backwards. It ran for 400 miles and ended up cutting a 1/8" channel out of the crankshaft. I just had the whole rotating assembly balanced. What a waste of money that was. And yes, that was the one and only time that happened. It wasn't my first motor either. You live and learn from your mistakes. That's how you get better. Good thing it happened to my honda engine and not one of our customers engines. I used to work at a shop that specialized in the 350Z. That's an expensive motor.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Somehow I installed my dizzy 180 degrees out after removing the MSD **** and re-installing my stock coil, went and turned the car over and the intake cam jumped a **** load and somehow at the same time it managed to fry the ignitor, which it was only like 24hrs to my tune date.

My friend one time forgot to tighten down all the lugs on his 95 GST, we made it like 2 miles from the track, we lost all lugs except 1 on each wheel, the car was wobbeling like we were riding down a rumble strip on both sides.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:02 AM

Default Re: (96 GSR-T)

Two things for me:

1.) Started up my first turbo engine and forgot to tighten down the oil feed line. That little hole had enough forceful oil coming out that it was like a loose firehose.

2.) I forgot to install that little spring that that holds the main seal to the crankshaft nice and tight. Had a big leak their too. I didn't want to pull the freshly installed motor so I worked from underneath.....suprisingly easy.

3.) Forgot to pout back all four gaskets seprates the valve cover from the spark plugs. Neadless to say I had 4 nice puddles of oil where my sparkplugs where.

Hey, if this kinda stuff hasn't happened to you then you just haven't been working on your car hard enough right?
Old 04-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (adseguy)

a friend of mine was putting his cams in the head, not paying attention as to which way was tdc, needless to say, he installed them, then decided to rotate them around to get them to tdc..... well one of the exhaust valves was open, and the intake valve hit the exhaust valve when the cam was being rotated, and broke the bitch right off ! OUCH hahhaha
Old 04-02-2008, 08:22 AM

not on a honda but I did a compression test on my old car. I pulled the coilpack plug and proceeded to do the compression test. When I was done I tryed to start the car with no success. I spent a good 20 minutes pulling my hair out trying to find out why it wouldn't start I couldn't figure it out until I noticed the loose coil plug dangling there...

then on the motorcycle I suddenly lost all this power and everytime I got near a stop sign it died. Limped her back home and checked spark, compression, just about everything I could think of. I started her up again to reevaluate the symptoms and realized that the fuel light was on and I was running out of gas...

lol that's it luckily
Old 04-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh wait i've got a pretty good one. A friend of mine had just built a beast all motor engine. I came over to tune it and get it running. Everytime we started it up the entire day it was puking coolant out of the breather. We'd drain the oil and there would be just as much coolant in the oil pan as there was oil. I was like wtf did you do wrong on this thing. Probably did 5 oil changes that day trying to figure this problem out. Finally later that night he calls me and is like "was it bad that i ran this coolant line from my intake manifold into the black box thing on the block?" The dude had been dumping coolant straight into his crankcase!
Old 04-02-2008, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hahaha...that's a good one.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (batboyvaj)

this is a domestic one, i just got done rebuilding my big block chevy in my car with i had just finished detailing and restoring. i was priming the oil pump and i wasnt building any oil pressure, so i kept priming it. after about 5 min i could hear the oil gurgling so i stopped and looked and i forgot one of the plugs that went into an oil gallery beside the timing cover. it shot 7 quarts of oil all over my freshly painted engine bay, my garage floor, and down the drain. the funniest part is that is that about a week later i was out behind my house and there was a huge section of dead grass, come to find out the oil that went down the drain killed all my grass!

Eric
Old 04-02-2008, 10:21 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Two things for me:

1.) Started up my first turbo engine and forgot to tighten down the oil feed line. That little hole had enough forceful oil coming out that it was like a loose firehose.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

did something similar with another turbo engine I did haha. I put the wrong banjo in the turbo feed line at the turbo. both the line and the banjo were male end so there was no compression at the junction. It spit out about a quart of oil a minute lol.

I thought the line was bad at the braided flange until I got it off and took it to a hydraulic shop and they were like..."uhhhh its gonna leak bad if you have it like this"

I was like DOH!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: (stackz)

I've got you ALL beat.

Look at what I found in the intake manifold of the ITR swap I bought last year...I couldn't figure out why it sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders, and I wasn't going to boost it (obviously) until I found the issue. I assumed that it had bent valves or worn rings.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1981931
Old 04-02-2008, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (boostincoupe)

^^^ wow
Old 04-02-2008, 11:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

install a head with the dowel pins before.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

...Leaned my arm on the distributor while the car was running listening and looking for leaks..

got zapped and jumped 10 feet in the air .. hit my head on the hood..

Old 04-02-2008, 12:19 PM

Dumbest thing I did on my current setup was to cut into the stock wiring harness to run the crappy JR BTC with the FMU... took 2 hours of soldering everything back together once I switched to a tuned ECU to fix the random stuttering/dying problems.

Also, took about 4 broken alternator belts before I finally discovered that all I had to do was shim one of the idler pullies with 2 washers to get the belt running straight.

On my old '93 VTEC, didn't torque the valve cover down tight enough after performing my first ever valve adjustment because I didn't want to strip the head. Went to crank it and wondered why it wasn't starting, then finally it did and was running like total crap. Hopped out to check the engine, and oil was PORUING out of the VC. Retightened everything and cleaned it up, and it ran fine, whew!
Old 04-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: who else has done stupid things when putting together setups?? (borat)

Was released from 'work release jail', spent the next 12hrs putting my turbo kit back on, and didn't notice the WG line was cracked bad. Had 15 mins left to get to a wedding, didn't have time to put the boost gauge on. Pulled up the on-ramp, noticed it was madly fast - then BANG! Sounded like something smacked the hood... I got lucky and the coupler where the stock airbox was didn't take the &gt;15 psi it made and let go - charge pipe tapped the hood.

Limped to the wedding NA, then impressed the bride after a few minutes screwing (the coupler, that is ).

I also burned my first uberdata turbo BIN wrong. It was like constant boost cut @2psi. Then when I tried to show my friend the problem, I downshifted (finally putting it in VTEC), and it was flying at 10psi! Somehow, I or uberdata had reverted the vtec-low ignition map to stock, with -6* in every cell above 1psi. But I'll tell you, that was the strongest VTEC engaugement I've *EVER* felt.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who else has done stupid things when putting together setups?? (HiProfile)

pretty good thread .Towel one was the funniest so far.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who else has done stupid things when putting together setups?? (blue2000em1)

buddy of mine had a built h22 that he built. and something happin to the crank pully..i dont remember exactly what. but he was replacing it and he noticed the crankshaft had crazy play..so he just got so pissed cause he was having other stupid lil issues with the car alsoo he just started taking the motor apart. pulled the head blah blah..then just for ***** and giggles. tested the end play to see how far out of spec it was

guess what..it was in spec

that was an interesting night.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who else has done stupid things when putting together setups?? (Lewy. Dee Ayy)

My dad and I put the head on my Z6 after we had built it. We tightened the ARPs to 60 foot lbs but it was INSANELY hard. I had to wrap my body around the block so that it wouldn't move as my dad pulled on the torque wrench. It was rediculous. After we had gotten all the bolts down and tight, I stood up and saw the headgasket sitting on the bench. D'OH!

That's the worst I've ever done on my car really.

Then one night I was helping a buddy take apart his F22 from his Accord. We were pulling it all apart and cleaning everything up. Well there was like 4 or 5 of us, and me and another guy were finishing up pulling apart the block and I told one of the less experienced kids there to take out the bolts for the rocker assembly. I then finished up what I was doing on the block, and then moved on to the head. I took off the last bolt of the rocker assembly and slowly lifted it out of the head... without the bolts still in their holes. For those of you who don't know, those rocker assemblies are SPRING LOADED.

By the time I realized this small fact, I had a full rocker assembly stretching from one side of the garage to the other. I even managed to find all the pieces and put it back together!
Old 04-02-2008, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who else has done stupid things when putting together setups?? (SovXietday)

I didnt do this but a buddy of mine did, he claimed that he worked on Hondas before and had pulled 20+ motors.

We had the entire motor unbolted and everything all the wiring un-done, i asked him if he un did the shift linkage and he said yes...

So were pulling the motor out with the picker and the thing just wont budge past a certain point, i look under the car and i see the shift linkage all binded up on the pavement, he apparently only un-did the linkage from the shifter and not the trans, so it was binding on the ground making the motor completly stuck.

He claims that all people with Hondas dont pull the motors from the top, to that i said get the [freak]outofmygarage, ill do the rest my self.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who else has done stupid things when putting together setups?? (urbansi)

I GOT ALL YOU BEAT AND WE ALL HAVE DONE THIS AT ONE TIME IN OUT LIFE ----- LEFT THE RATCHET ON THE CRANK PULLEY AND THEN START IT!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who else has done stupid things when putting together setups?? (urbansi)

i got a few, but the most recent is

did a clutch, put the trans all back in, new oil everything on. Get in the car to start it and I have no clutch pedal....yea I forgot to put the lever and TOB back in

On the same car I had the hood propped up all the way, and the car jacked up in the front. Someone hit the garage door opener and it scraped the entire front of the hood. Man that night sucked.

Quick Reply: who else has done stupid things when putting together setups??