Notices

who is doing 250+whp on SOHC, stock everything

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default who is doing 250+whp on SOHC, stock everything

i was just wondering if anyone is doing 250-300whp on stock SOHC's. i was thinking if it could be done, then i have been contemplating selling my gsr and boosting a d16z6 or something
Old 09-22-2005, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: who is doing 250+whp on SOHC, stock everything (spooncivic1)

Nope, your rods will be hasta luego at the level. Sure you might make one pass, two even, beyond that pray to whomever you pray too.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:53 PM

264 whp on a stock d16z6 and will be pushing it to its max very soon on the dyno, shooting for 300whp on stock block. Oh and I have been beating the **** out of my car, boost spiking to 20+ psi on many times and still no probs, runs like a champ. Just depends on the tune.
Old 09-23-2005, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbo_CRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbo_CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">264 whp on a stock d16z6 and will be pushing it to its max very soon on the dyno, shooting for 300whp on stock block. Oh and I have been beating the **** out of my car, boost spiking to 20+ psi on many times and still no probs, runs like a champ. Just depends on the tune.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what is your setup?
Old 09-23-2005, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (spooncivic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spooncivic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what is your setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-23-2005, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (AbitAvenger)

from this thread: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1361038

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbo_CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">as requested by many, here is the specs to my turbo civic

Car weighs 2280 lbs with no people in car and empty tank of gas.

-Stock D16z6
-Exedy Stage 2 clutch
-Quaife LSD in my SI tranny
-Obd0 to obd1 and uberdata
-GTR 440cc injectors
-255 walbro
-b18 throttle body
-2.5" chargepipes to ic from turbo
-3" from ic to intake
-vortech bov
-precision sc50 .60/.63 60A/R
-full 3" exhaust mandrel bent from turbo to HKS carbon Ti muffler
-Custom short runner equal length manifold
-Turbosmart 38mm wastegate
-26" x 12" x 4" yonaka intercooler

And the rest is stock. Oh and BTW when my old wastegate wasnt working it stuck closed all the time, but not having a boost gauge at the time, spiked well past 20psi while the engine was tuned for 6psi off a basemap and I use to race like this for about 2 months but I always wondered why it stopped making power and seemed to die out hard, I thought maybe boost cut, I asked my tuned to change my boost cut because it kept on cutting out, he told me there wasnt a boost cut, well lone and behold I put in a wideband when I was on the dyno and I had my new wastegate on and well I looked at the old 02 sensor and it was soo white it looked like snow. I undertand that I sound like a complete idiot but I am just wanting to point out that these d-series are virtually industructable even for the low intelectuals like me.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-23-2005, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who is doing 250+whp on SOHC, stock everything (dr_latino999)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dr_latino999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nope, your rods will be hasta luego at the level. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Production defects aside, rods in the average D-series application typically fold due to detonation. Actually takes out the bearing (which is being hammered against the crank by the detonation, displaces the oil film that is supposed to be there), spins it, siezes the rod to the crank, and pitches the rod through the block in the three cases I've seen. There's a "200-250 whp" safety level set by a bunch of guys who run tiny compressors run at their max where charge temps are high, across super restrictive turbines that hold heat into the engine.

So now you are pumping a lot of heat ino the engine, and can't get rid of it. Wonderful.

Caveman had a stock D16Z6 with a tiny Greddy 15G at 14 psi for six months of flogging before it took out #2 ringland. The key to winning was getting enough fuel in there to cause EGTs to drop under boost - 1250-1300 deg F typically. Correct cam grind to encourage flow through the engine helps, as do those fancy-*** merge collector manifolds and not being a ***** about where your turbo spools. D-series isn't as pimpshit to play with as B-series, but you can go somewhere with i if you actually DO something with it.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who is doing 250+whp on SOHC, stock everything (J. Davis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
D-series isn't as pimpshit to play with as B-series, but you can go somewhere with i if you actually DO something with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-23-2005, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Production defects aside, rods in the average D-series application typically fold due to detonation. Actually takes out the bearing (which is being hammered against the crank by the detonation, displaces the oil film that is supposed to be there), spins it, siezes the rod to the crank, and pitches the rod through the block in the three cases I've seen. There's a "200-250 whp" safety level set by a bunch of guys who run tiny compressors run at their max where charge temps are high, across super restrictive turbines that hold heat into the engine.

So now you are pumping a lot of heat ino the engine, and can't get rid of it. Wonderful.

Caveman had a stock D16Z6 with a tiny Greddy 15G at 14 psi for six months of flogging before it took out #2 ringland. The key to winning was getting enough fuel in there to cause EGTs to drop under boost - 1250-1300 deg F typically. Correct cam grind to encourage flow through the engine helps, as do those fancy-*** merge collector manifolds and not being a ***** about where your turbo spools. D-series isn't as pimpshit to play with as B-series, but you can go somewhere with i if you actually DO something with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow, haven't seen you for a while. Good to see you back.

See my sig. I tried for 300 but anymore boost than 12.5 it would throw a CEL on the stock map sensor.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Production defects aside, rods in the average D-series application typically fold due to detonation. Actually takes out the bearing (which is being hammered against the crank by the detonation, displaces the oil film that is supposed to be there), spins it, siezes the rod to the crank, and pitches the rod through the block in the three cases I've seen. There's a "200-250 whp" safety level set by a bunch of guys who run tiny compressors run at their max where charge temps are high, across super restrictive turbines that hold heat into the engine.

Caveman had a stock D16Z6 with a tiny Greddy 15G at 14 psi for six months of flogging before it took out #2 ringland. The key to winning was getting enough fuel in there to cause EGTs to drop under boost - 1250-1300 deg F typically. Correct cam grind to encourage flow through the engine helps, as do those fancy-*** merge collector manifolds and not being a ***** about where your turbo spools. D-series isn't as pimpshit to play with as B-series, but you can go somewhere with i if you actually DO something with it.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I retract my prior statement and humbly put my foot in my mouth
Old 09-23-2005, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Production defects aside, rods in the average D-series application typically fold due to detonation. Actually takes out the bearing (which is being hammered against the crank by the detonation, displaces the oil film that is supposed to be there), spins it, siezes the rod to the crank, and pitches the rod through the block in the three cases I've seen. There's a "200-250 whp" safety level set by a bunch of guys who run tiny compressors run at their max where charge temps are high, across super restrictive turbines that hold heat into the engine.

BTW you still have my turbo, (robs old one)
Old 09-23-2005, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: who is doing 250+whp on SOHC, stock everything (dr_latino999)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dr_latino999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I retract my prior statement and humbly put my foot in my mouth </TD></TR></TABLE>

You accept being wrong. That is a good thing.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was thinking of doing a greddy setup, but instead of the 15g, get a 18g and tune to 12-14psi
Old 09-23-2005, 04:00 PM

alot of fuel and almost no timing = long lasting fun, I will be going to the dyno soon when i get my car back and will be installing 880cc injectors and seeing how much power i can make before kaboom, I will make a good video for all.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbo_CRX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbo_CRX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alot of fuel and almost no timing = long lasting fun, I will be going to the dyno soon when i get my car back and will be installing 880cc injectors and seeing how much power i can make before kaboom, I will make a good video for all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very true. Low timing is key to longevity.

Looking forward to seeing what your motor will do!!!
Old 09-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JFK78)

anything is possible
Old 09-23-2005, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BoostedED9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dr_latino999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nope, your rods will be hasta luego at the level. Sure you might make one pass, two even, beyond that pray to whomever you pray too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

typical h-t view...i hope to push the limits once i can afford to blow my engine but i have faith in my D but somehow i dont think my super 60 will be up to the task of 300whp on the y8

for the time being im at 11psi and i beat the living day lights out of my car i simply dont understand how it still runs haha...i figure im at about 220ish whp since i dyno'd 187 at 8psi with stock exhaust i run Open DP now....well cutout
Old 09-23-2005, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dornon13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dornon13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">typical h-t view </TD></TR></TABLE> Wrong!<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J. Davis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Production defects aside, rods in the average D-series application typically fold due to detonation. Actually takes out the bearing (which is being hammered against the crank by the detonation, displaces the oil film that is supposed to be there), spins it, siezes the rod to the crank, and pitches the rod through the block in the three cases I've seen. There's a "200-250 whp" safety level set by a bunch of guys who run tiny compressors run at their max where charge temps are high, across super restrictive turbines that hold heat into the engine.

Caveman had a stock D16Z6 with a tiny Greddy 15G at 14 psi for six months of flogging before it took out #2 ringland. The key to winning was getting enough fuel in there to cause EGTs to drop under boost - 1250-1300 deg F typically. Correct cam grind to encourage flow through the engine helps, as do those fancy-*** merge collector manifolds and not being a ***** about where your turbo spools. D-series isn't as pimpshit to play with as B-series, but you can go somewhere with i if you actually DO something with it.</TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dr_latino999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I retract my prior statement and humbly put my foot in my mouth </TD></TR></TABLE><TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You accept being wrong. That is a good thing. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-23-2005, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dr_latino999)

most people on h-t will tell you 250whp is max a stock D can take...
Old 09-23-2005, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dornon13)

I make around 250whp on my stock zc sohc, personally I think anything more you are asking for it. Seen a few setups come and go.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:49 PM

Default Re: who is doing 250+whp on SOHC, stock everything (spooncivic1)

im at 250 here!
Old 09-24-2005, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm still in awe that turbo_CRX and BoostedED9 are running .60/.63 turbos on their STOCK single cams.

i've heard some people say that the .48/.60 is laggy on stock single cams.

i think it's time to move away from my Greddy 15g.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nerdsports)

there was a guy forever ago that was running 300whp but got greedy and turned up the boost without extra tuning...you all know what happend then
Old 09-24-2005, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nerdsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nerdsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm still in awe that turbo_CRX and BoostedED9 are running .60/.63 turbos on their STOCK single cams.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Add me. I did as well.
Old 09-24-2005, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what trim were they though?

Quick Reply: who is doing 250+whp on SOHC, stock everything