Notices

white smoke after acceleration: crankcase issue? *Solved*

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 05:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default white smoke after acceleration: crankcase issue? *Solved*

so my turbo type r is having a smoking issue after pulls. Right after a pull il hit the clutch and put the car in neutral. After doing so a blimp of greyish white smoke pops out. it doesnt happen every pull. the car isnt over heating and stays between 185-187 in the florida heat. Now the car is on a "rough" street tune with little timing and i have afr around 10.0-10.7 in boost (9lbs on s362). car doesnt smoke on start up or on decel at any other speed, it literally only smokes after a pull. so i have 2 thoughts in my head

car is fully built with cp pistons and i had the cylinder head checked for leakage when i had it shaved (was like 2%)

1. the pistons are pretty loose in the cylinder (you can move them back and forth) could this loose p2w clearance be causing this issue?

2. Now i know sometimes youll see cars on the dyno blow some white smoke after a pull then do a clean pull right after so could this be tune related?
Old 09-20-2018, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default re: white smoke after acceleration: crankcase issue? *Solved*

oil pulling into cylinder under high vac. not a tune, motor issue. how many miles? depends on ring type and how long its been together. may take a few more heat cycles if they are steel nitrated rings. i know mine smoked when new and then stopped onces they broke in more.
Old 09-21-2018, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Crank case/motor ventilation will do it (or should I say a lack there of). If you do not have a catch can setup on the car, add one in.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turbociv910
oil pulling into cylinder under high vac. not a tune, motor issue. how many miles? depends on ring type and how long its been together. may take a few more heat cycles if they are steel nitrated rings. i know mine smoked when new and then stopped onces they broke in more.
the motors been together for at least 1,500 miles. I bought the motor together already. Never had this issue on the last setup (changed turbo setup).

I get around -17 vac at idle, then -24 on decel
Old 09-21-2018, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Autoworks
Crank case/motor ventilation will do it (or should I say a lack there of). If you do not have a catch can setup on the car, add one in.
thats what I was thinking also. All I have are the oem ventilation ports. Will add some fittings on the valve cover.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Too rich. Too much fuel can cause some thick white smoke too. I've noticed on street tuning myself before the the richer I was, the more white smoke I would get. It seemed a bit like the kinda steam type smoke you'd see on those cold mornings.. Anywho.. You're running SUPER rich..
Old 09-26-2018, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Typically if you start seeing smoke on deceleration that would be more of a valve stem seal issue. When it gets bad you start to see a bit of smoke upon start up because the oil will start to leak down. Too much fuel would be more of a blackish color, you could always start with a leak down test to help guide you in a direction.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
Typically if you start seeing smoke on deceleration that would be more of a valve stem seal issue. When it gets bad you start to see a bit of smoke upon start up because the oil will start to leak down. Too much fuel would be more of a blackish color, you could always start with a leak down test to help guide you in a direction.
OP said they didn't see any smoke on decel at any speed. **shrug**
Old 09-26-2018, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
OP said they didn't see any smoke on decel at any speed. **shrug**
This is what he said "Right after a pull il hit the clutch and put the car in neutral. After doing so a blimp of greyish white smoke pops out. " So he is saying after a full acceleration pull he throws the car in neutral and see's smoke which would technically be on decal.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This is what he said "Right after a pull il hit the clutch and put the car in neutral. After doing so a blimp of greyish white smoke pops out. " So he is saying after a full acceleration pull he throws the car in neutral and see's smoke which would technically be on decal.
Originally Posted by bcintron95
so my turbo type r is having a smoking issue after pulls. Right after a pull il hit the clutch and put the car in neutral. After doing so a blimp of greyish white smoke pops out. it doesnt happen every pull.
the car isnt over heating and stays between 185-187 in the florida heat. Now the car is on a "rough" street tune with little timing and i have afr around 10.0-10.7 in boost (9lbs on s362). car doesnt smoke on start up or on decel at any other speed, it literally only smokes after a pull. so i have 2 thoughts in my head

For speculative purposes, OP is describing the issue as immediately following a boost pull only. **throttle pressed, boooooost, hits clutch/puts in neutral, (boost drops), small puff of white smoke**
under decel would be **throttle pressed, booooost, let off throttle, coast in gear**
What you're describing here is exactly what I do to *prevent* my valve stem seals from causing smoke.. If I'm not on the throttle in gear, I'm in neutral or I'll smoke like a train after decel. Valve seals will cause smoke whether there's boost or not under certain circumstances, but, they will not cause smoke after decel in neutral under ANY circumstances, at least nothing obviously noticeable. I don't have the engineering knowledge to explain how this is so, but it IS how I prevent mine from being the spy hunter-esque smoke spewing monster.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So we added 2 ports on the valve cover and also fixed an issue with the injector dead times (Bosch 2200cc injectors) and the smoking has gone away.

Thanks for all the help guys! H-Tech for the win!
Old 09-26-2018, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So we added 2 ports on the valve cover and also fixed an issue with the injector dead times (Bosch 2200cc injectors) and the smoking has gone away.

Thanks for all the help guys! H-Tech for the win!
woot! Too much fuel can be a pain and scary. Lots of fuel can look like you've got headgasket issues and all sorts of **** at idle. Really rich driving isn't much better. Lol! Glad it's sorted. Now get her tuned!!
Old 09-26-2018, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Never seen a car spewing white smoke from running too rich LOL.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Never seen a car spewing white smoke from running too rich LOL.
I get lots of white smoke from my exhaust when I activate my anti lag. It becomes less prevalent when I adjust my fuel enrichment.
Thick white smoke at idle is possible especially when it starts getting to operating temp. Never seen a flooded carbureted engine poor out the same white smoke when trying to start?
Old 09-26-2018, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be your turbo. Usually turbo's on their way out the door will puff after a pull on deceleration.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
I get lots of white smoke from my exhaust when I activate my anti lag. It becomes less prevalent when I adjust my fuel enrichment.
Thick white smoke at idle is possible especially when it starts getting to operating temp. Never seen a flooded carbureted engine poor out the same white smoke when trying to start?
No I can't say that I have, I watched cars on the dyno many and many of times and have watched cars with way too much fuel with black smoke. I've watch my own car on the dyno with tons of black smoke because my fuel pressure regulator stuck open and was dumping a ton of fuel during a dyno pull.

Not saying somehow it is impossible just never seen a car running too rich cause white smoke.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tootsie7944
Could be your turbo. Usually turbo's on their way out the door will puff after a pull on deceleration.
Shaft play on the turbo is good and no oil stains on the turbo or down pipe. Also it isn’t smoking like a freight train. It’s very quick
Old 09-26-2018, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Shaft play on the turbo is good and no oil stains on the turbo or down pipe. Also it isn’t smoking like a freight train. It’s very quick
At least all the problems are taken care of now and fixed.