Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Where is the most optimal location to install a wideband oxygen sensor? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/where-most-optimal-location-install-wideband-oxygen-sensor-2658126/)

B16CivicSi00 10-05-2009 01:35 PM

Where is the most optimal location to install a wideband oxygen sensor?

Im thinking about getting an AEM UEGO Wideband for my Victor X Turbo setup. Just wondering what distance from the turbo would be the best? Ive searched and AEM said 36'' from the turbo and before the cat but that seems impossible. Do i still need to use the stock o2 sensor or can I just replace it with the wideband?

civic_r87111 10-05-2009 02:41 PM

re: Where is the most optimal location to install a wideband oxygen sensor?

It is recommened that it b placed at least 8" from the turbo if possible and to be angled away from the turbo as well, I personally think 3' away is a lil far. As far as replacing the stock one with that one is possible but u will have 2 do some rewiring and reprogramming.

93turbo16 10-05-2009 02:44 PM

A good spot for it on our cars is right before the firewall.

You also want it to be vertical so it does not collect water and shorten the life of the sensor.

B16CivicSi00 10-05-2009 06:02 PM

Could I just take out the stock o2 sensor and screw in the wideband in its place without throwing a cel??????

civic_r87111 10-05-2009 06:06 PM

Not without some rewiring and reprogramming ur ecu, it's pretty simple tho.

B16CivicSi00 10-05-2009 06:52 PM

Thanks man! Is this a good spot if I end up keeping both sensors? http://i602.photobucket.com/albums/t...Downpipe-1.jpg

B16CivicSi00 10-05-2009 08:46 PM

ttt

everythingwentblack 10-05-2009 09:46 PM

The uego comes with a new (bosch i think) o2 sensor. It says in the instructions why not to place it wherever you want or too close to the turbo because it is not going to be accurate due to the way the mix is or whatever. Your best bet is to place it as the instructions say around 36 inches from the turbo, and make sure its no less then a ten degree angle as the instructions also state. I know people who have an eugo for tuning, and just leave it in after the tune so they can get accurate AF ratios. The argument there is how long it will take before it burns out because some people say 5k miles, others have theirs for 30k and is fine

everythingwentblack 10-05-2009 09:48 PM

I dont know about that spot man, I wouldn't recommend it. Ive never seen an o2 facing down and out, that just sounds like a bad idea

civic_r87111 10-05-2009 10:32 PM

No way man, it needs to b on the top of the pipe.

B16CivicSi00 10-05-2009 10:32 PM

Yeah I dont know why Edelbrock put a o2 bung there anyways. What could that spot be used for? Hope my sensor doesnt fail after 5000 miles that would suck. Guess Ill have to get a shop to weld the bung next to the factory o2 sensor and hope for the best. Does this sound like a good plan????

civic_r87111 10-05-2009 10:34 PM

That would work best in ur setup

B16CivicSi00 10-05-2009 10:46 PM

Thanks for the help guys! One more thing tho....Once I install my turbo would it be safe to start my car if it is not tuned yet??? I have a adjustable fuel pressure regulator and an apexi VAFC so could I just turn up the fuel till I get a good reading then drive like 5 miles to the tuner?????

civic_r87111 10-06-2009 11:09 AM

It would be safe to start it but it depends on how far things r off if I would drive it or not. My advise to u is take the Vafc off and jump up and down on it and throw it away, lol. I just hate those things because they r hacks that don't properly do anything, they work somewhat to a degree but not in the right way and can throw off a good tune. As long as u stay out of boost and ur AFR's r 15-16 u should b ok to get to the tuner.

B16CivicSi00 10-06-2009 11:59 AM

Lol! Yea they are a piece of junk. I just use mine to monitor the engine. I got a chipped p28 to handle everything else. I guess Ill just try to stay out of boost till its tuned. Any tips on getting it to the tuner safely????

bigD 10-06-2009 12:44 PM

just stay out of boost and you will be fine, or get a basemap if your worried about it.

everythingwentblack 10-06-2009 06:00 PM

If your turboing your car, why do you have a cat on there? I thought of that as I was shutting down my computer last night right after I posted.

B16CivicSi00 10-06-2009 07:03 PM

I dont have a cat on mine. That pic was off the instruction manual. I dont have the kit installed yet so ill probably get a bung welded where my test pipe is. Sorry about the confusion.

Liamtelfer 05-04-2017 07:16 AM

i installed mine a few inches behind the firewall so about 26" all seems to be fine