Notices

Where do I start? D16Z6 long block, completely disassembled...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where do I start? D16Z6 long block, completely disassembled...

Ok, so I picked up a long-block from redsi37 here on the board (thanks man!). Anyway, I'd like to build this motor up to take at least 10 psi, maybe more. I'm a beginner at turbo stuff (been working with N/A V8 stuff all my life with my dad), but I'm ready to learn, and would like some ideas about where to begin with this motor. I know the ideal setup for turbo is better rods/pistons and lower compression, but after that I'm cloudy. Don't tell me to swap in a DOHC or something like that... i've already made up my mind to go with the SOHC. I'm looking for any suggestions, tips, pointers, recommended reading, or product recommendations I can get from the collective here...

Keep in mind I'm on a budget... I'm not looking to go crazy here, but I understand this is going to be a pretty in depth project and will lighten my wallet some, so I am prepared to dip into the savings if it's necessary

Anyway, here's what I've got... D16Z6 long block assembly

Block... cleaned, inspected, good... needs to be bored out to .25 over is what I'm told
Head... good condition, complete valvetrain, cam, cam gear, valve cover
Intake manifold... throttle body, injectors, fuel rail, etc
Crank... one journal looks to have had some damage... may need to replace this... are there any alternatives or is the stock crank good to run with turbo? Also have the crank pulley and timing belt gear, and all the bearings
Pistons/rods... stock pistons and rods... these are still at redsi37's house, so I haven't had a chance to look at them yet.
Just about all the other misc. parts are in the box I got as well, including water pump and oil pump, thermostat, various hardware and electrical pieces, etc.

Anyway, like I said in the subject... where do I start? I'm going to be doing all the work here, with help from my dad who's an experienced engine builder (who's never built a honda engine before, but is pretty confident we can get it done), so most assembly tips and tricks I should have covered. What I'm really looking for here is theory (ie, lower compression), and how to implement this theory in real life... if y'know what i mean?

Sorry for the rambling post... I did a search, but couldn't find anything that encompassed this sort of topic.

[Modified by matt-eg, 1:50 AM 7/7/2002]