Notices

Where to buy used Holset Housings

Old 02-21-2014, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy used Holset Housings

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had a lead on where to pick up used Holset Housings, specifically the turbine housing. My H1C has a 21cm^2 hot side, which I'm pretty sure would never ever ever spool on my setup, so I'm looking to snag a 12cm^2 housing.

I was thinking maybe some diesel guys would be into trading for a big housing, or getting rid of their old small one, whatever. I found a couple cummins forums but they required like 50 posts before access to the market place and I don't want to spam "nice truck" 50 times just to get access.

There are a couple on eBay, but they are $130 for the cheapest, and it looks pretty rough, which seemed pretty pricey to me, seeing as I could buy a whole turbo for that much.

All help appreciated.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:17 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Where to buy used Holset Housings

Check with Bullseye Power turbos or the Honda Marketplace. No one really "trades" them. It also depends upon the turbine wheel you have , as they are not always readily interchangeable.

Good luck.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Check with Bullseye Power turbos or the Honda Marketplace. No one really "trades" them. It also depends upon the turbine wheel you have , as they are not always readily interchangeable.

Good luck.
I know BEP makes a housing, but it's not a divided housing, and I'm going to be running a true EL twin scroll manifold, so I want to be able to retain that functionality. I usually check the marketplace here and on a couple other forums every couple days. It doesn't seem like people sell them too often.

I've never heard anyone say they are not readily interchangeable. The way I understood it, H1C and HX35 can swap turbine housings at will. The difference being the HX35 has the internal wastegate flapper that needs to be welded shut to run and external gate, and the H1C is vband out.

Do you have a link or anything that talks about the different turbine wheels?
Old 02-21-2014, 02:22 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

eBay is your best bet

a guy on there called tims turbos machines Garrett T31 .63 and .82 turbine housings fit Holset turbine wheels and they are fairly cheap
Old 02-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will see if I have one kicking around. ran the 18cm on my ls spooled but very late with the 12cm I hit full boost 20psi by 4500rpm
Old 02-21-2014, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by 93ls10.0
I will see if I have one kicking around. ran the 18cm on my ls spooled but very late with the 12cm I hit full boost 20psi by 4500rpm
Which is still "late" considering what that H1C is made from.

Considering you've got a good setup goin'

p&p p8r head
supertech spring retainers
crower 404 cams
ge intake manifold
blox 76mm tb
ge sleeved block 85mm
supertech 9.5:1 pistons
eagle rods
all acl bearings and arp hardware
injector nation ev14 900cc injectors
Boy, that H1C is going to disappoint with that good P8R head... Not to get too off topic, 93ls10.0 When you're ready to reach full boost pressure under 20psi by 3800rpms and 222ft/lbs (12psi) with the same lbs/min flow rate, on a BONE stock LS..in a real Garrett contact me.. I'll show ya how its done. ..

In the meantime, even a divided housing at that volute won't help you "spool" it up when a proper sized volute would do a much better job overall.

Yes, twin scrolls do exist and do quite well, but you're falling for the wrong "divided housing" vs. "Twin scroll" hype..

Good luck.. eBay may have some good 12cm or even 8cm that would work better for ya, Mr. Trebek.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you are finding complete holsets for 130 bucks i would buy all of them you can find and throw them on ebay, you would make some bank. i cant even find a decently priced one around here anymore. everyone wants 4-500 for an hx35 now
Old 02-22-2014, 06:19 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

one guy had his hx35 listed for 150 buy it now that came off of his sti, should have bought it just because

I got my he351ve new off ebay for less than 100, yay for mislisted items lol
Old 02-22-2014, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Which is still "late" considering what that H1C is made from.

Considering you've got a good setup goin'

Boy, that H1C is going to disappoint with that good P8R head... Not to get too off topic, 93ls10.0 When you're ready to reach full boost pressure under 20psi by 3800rpms and 222ft/lbs (12psi) with the same lbs/min flow rate, on a BONE stock LS..in a real Garrett contact me.. I'll show ya how its done. ..

In the meantime, even a divided housing at that volute won't help you "spool" it up when a proper sized volute would do a much better job overall.

The h1c is on a 8.3:1 engine not the new one I know its late spool but I consider it track control. Buddy has the hx35 on his 8.7:1( I believe) engine and his spools a lot quicker that mine. I want something that can put me in the 700hp rang won't reach it with my engine but its worth a shot.

Yes, twin scrolls do exist and do quite well, but you're falling for the wrong "divided housing" vs. "Twin scroll" hype..

Good luck.. eBay may have some good 12cm or even 8cm that would work better for ya, Mr. Trebek.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:03 PM

The h1c is on a 8.3:1 engine not the new one I know its late spool but I consider it track control. Buddy has the hx35 on his 8.7:1( I believe) engine and his spools a lot quicker that mine. I want something that can put me in the 700hp rang won't reach it with my engine but its worth a shot.
Old, old thinking.. especially with 8.7:1..That H1C won't make 550whp, much less 700hp no matter what housing you put on it. Those are similar to a 50 "trim", which will get no where NEAR what you're asking.

But I wish you good luck in your quest.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:16 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

you'll be lucky to get 450 out of that turbo.. and the turbine housing size isn't helping the situation

putting that larger compressor wheel on won't help either because then the turbine wheel size becomes the choke point, so either way you're screwed
Old 02-22-2014, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Now I know
Old 02-23-2014, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
one guy had his hx35 listed for 150 buy it now that came off of his sti, should have bought it just because

I got my he351ve new off ebay for less than 100, yay for mislisted items lol
That's how I got my hx35 so cheap lol. If I see them that cheap on eBay I buy them and rebuild them. People will pay good money for them
Old 02-23-2014, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

eBay is your best bet

a guy on there called tims turbos machines Garrett T31 .63 and .82 turbine housings fit Holset turbine wheels and they are fairly cheap
Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can find him on eBay and see what he has.

Let me know if you find it, and how much you want if you do.

And for TheShodan: You don't know what my setup is, so how can you be telling me what will work best for me? Also, you have yet to explain why the housing are non-interchangeable. Also what is the bit about falling for the wrong hype? I happen to know the difference between a divided housing and a twin scroll manifold/housing/turbo. And both the H1C and HX35 are true twin scroll turbos. That is why I want to use a stock holset housing and not a BEP housing. That is also why I will be using a true twin scroll EL manifold. And lastly, 8cm housing? I've never heard of one. AFAIK the smallest holset housing is on the HY35 which is a non divided 9cm and that doesnt fit the H1C/HX35. If you're referring to the BEP housing maybe? But as I said, I don't want to use the BEP housing.

But all this is off topic, I didn't ask anyone their opinion on what I should or shouldn't run, I asked for any tips on where to get housings at a reasonable rate.
Old 02-23-2014, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gained huge results going from a ramhorn to a twinscroll paired 1/4 and 2/3...granted I have other factors that play a roll I am now on a forward facing setup and also bumped my runners down to 1.25 to keep the velocity higher as I wasn't going to NEED the flow of 1.5" runners....I also cut about 2'+ of intercooler piping out of the setup.

that being said I was getting 1st-5psi@8.5k, 2nd-16psi@8.5k, 3rd-25psi ~6k (full boost) to now 16-18psi in first and 25+ just after switching to second maybe 6k

its a completely different car...it went from highway monster to a general street terror...is spools crazy fast for the size of this turbo...and this is on a 7.5:1 compression vitara d16...with a higher compression or b-series would spool much faster yet

also on a 12cm^2 hot side
Old 02-23-2014, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Alex Trebek
Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can find him on eBay and see what he has.

Let me know if you find it, and how much you want if you do.

And for TheShodan: You don't know what my setup is, so how can you be telling me what will work best for me? Also, you have yet to explain why the housing are non-interchangeable. Also what is the bit about falling for the wrong hype? I happen to know the difference between a divided housing and a twin scroll manifold/housing/turbo. And both the H1C and HX35 are true twin scroll turbos. That is why I want to use a stock holset housing and not a BEP housing. That is also why I will be using a true twin scroll EL manifold. And lastly, 8cm housing? I've never heard of one. AFAIK the smallest holset housing is on the HY35 which is a non divided 9cm and that doesnt fit the H1C/HX35. If you're referring to the BEP housing maybe? But as I said, I don't want to use the BEP housing.

But all this is off topic, I didn't ask anyone their opinion on what I should or shouldn't run, I asked for any tips on where to get housings at a reasonable rate.
You know what.. you're right.. I went by 93ls.s information.. because I was talking with him in his setup that he described..

As for yourself.. hey. I'll gladly stay right out of your way and let you continue your search and let life teach... this isn't my first rodeo with what you're trying to accomplish, but no.. go ahead, it's cool.. go ahead with that...
Old 02-23-2014, 10:55 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

most are not interchangeable as each model Holset has numerous turbine and compressor wheel sizes in terms of diameter, tip height, wheel contour, etc ... also different models have different ways of attaching the turbine housing to the center section as wel as different diameters for the mounting surfaces.

what makes this difficult is not much is known about Holsets different model options, each turbo has a customer number and other is numbers, none of which are indicative of the precise turbo configuration... not much is known about their id method outside of Holset themselves, their OEM clients, or if you happen to know someone who has their model catalog. (TheShodan has most of them IIRC)

they are very tight lipped about this stuff, even compressor maps. a few have been released but again, each one has a unique number as far as the turbo model, so you don't really know what turbo the map relates to. again not many people outside of the Holset engineers know.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You know what.. you're right.. I went by 93ls.s information.. because I was talking with him in his setup that he described..

As for yourself.. hey. I'll gladly stay right out of your way and let you continue your search and let life teach... this isn't my first rodeo with what you're trying to accomplish, but no.. go ahead, it's cool.. go ahead with that...
Again, though! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH. Nowhere at all did I say one single word about what my setup is, what I'm trying to accomplish, what my budget is, etc. I have said nothing about what I'm doing, but you keep speaking as if you know.

I don't doubt that this "isn't your first rodeo" but you don't know anything about me, my skills, or my project. You don't even know if this is going on a Honda or a 4BT or a stroked DSM.

most are not interchangeable as each model Holset has numerous turbine and compressor wheel sizes in terms of diameter, tip height, wheel contour, etc ... also different models have different ways of attaching the turbine housing to the center section as wel as different diameters for the mounting surfaces.

what makes this difficult is not much is known about Holsets different model options, each turbo has a customer number and other is numbers, none of which are indicative of the precise turbo configuration... not much is known about their id method outside of Holset themselves, their OEM clients, or if you happen to know someone who has their model catalog. (TheShodan has most of them IIRC)

they are very tight lipped about this stuff, even compressor maps. a few have been released but again, each one has a unique number as far as the turbo model, so you don't really know what turbo the map relates to. again not many people outside of the Holset engineers know.
Thanks for the info. Their lack of public information doesn't really surprise me. Most automotive OEM's are like that.

I know there is a large variety of configuration of Holset turbos. I also know a number of people who have swapped the exhaust housing from the 4 bolt HX35 to the 4 bolt H1C without complications. I also know the year and model of Cummins my turbo came off of, so that should help in ensuring compatibility between housings.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:48 AM

Again, though! YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT I'M TRYING TO ACCOMPLISH. Nowhere at all did I say one single word about what my setup is, what I'm trying to accomplish, what my budget is, etc. I have said nothing about what I'm doing, but you keep speaking as if you know.

I don't doubt that this "isn't your first rodeo" but you don't know anything about me, my skills, or my project. You don't even know if this is going on a Honda or a 4BT or a stroked DSM.

I said OK... I wasn't being sarcastic... Really.. That's fine... Being angry about it, doesn't make you more correct. Relax..

I hope you're not always this high-strung..

Good luck to you and your quest... my goodness
Old 02-24-2014, 09:55 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

^he is a former Garrett/Honeywell engineer so I wouldn't ignore his advice completely
Old 02-25-2014, 04:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's all fine and well. And as I said, I don't doubt that he is knowledgeable. Nothing of the sort ever came out of my mouth (keyboard). I was simply pointing out the fact that 1. I did not start this thread looking for advice on what housing to run, just where to find housings and 2. One should not give advice when they don't have any information about what someone is trying to accomplish.

I am an engineer as well (DENSO), and if there is one thing every engineer should know, it's that you need to understand a problem before you can come up with a solution. Being that I gave no information whatsoever about my problem, outside of the fact that I needed a smaller turbine housing, and I would be using a twin scroll setup; it would be impossible to give someone meaningful advice.

My issue, beyond points 1 and 2 above, is that when people come in and give advice when they don't know the details, they end up (not maliciously) spreading misinformation and if I was someone with less understanding or less experience I might make an incorrect/ill informed decision. It's just not possible to advise with that little information on what the desired outcome is.

Think of every other thread where someone says "I want to make 500hp, what turbo should I use?" The first responses are usually, "what engine are you running?" "what is your compression?" "post your setup" "what powerband?" etc etc.

If you don't have the details and information necessary to advise or solve a problem, you end up making assumptions. And everyone, especially engineers know that doing so is a terrible idea. At the very least, one should preface an assumption with the fact that they are about to make one.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:59 AM

With all due respect, from one Engineer to another, Mr. Trebek You also have to read carefully. As much as I [I]stated]/I] a particular goal, it was for 93ls10.0's particular goals, and admittedly NOT YOURS, due to me not reading correctly. I fully accept responsibility for that. For someone that wants to get assistance in what they need, you sure are hell-bent on making it known that you don't want help. Hell, I even had two parts service manuals from a retired GM engineer who worked with the Holset line. But now, well...

On another note: Which DENSO location are you located? I know a few heads still in the MI location.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ahhh, well, then I will admit that was also a mis-read on my part. I'll take responsibility for that. My apologies.

While I'm sure sharing the manuals would be useful for the holset community at-large, I'm not sure how much help they would do me at this point. It seems like for the price and headache it is more effective to buy a different turbo with the correct size exhaust housing, and then sell my H1C as a whole. I will end up spending less money going that route that just trying to buy the housing.

I was at DIAM (Southfield, MI) in BCS1 up until a few years ago, now I'm down the street working for a Honeywell competitor actually
Old 02-25-2014, 11:57 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

wanna hook it up? :D
Old 02-25-2014, 12:12 PM

Ahhh, well, then I will admit that was also a mis-read on my part. I'll take responsibility for that. My apologies.

While I'm sure sharing the manuals would be useful for the holset community at-large, I'm not sure how much help they would do me at this point. It seems like for the price and headache it is more effective to buy a different turbo with the correct size exhaust housing, and then sell my H1C as a whole. I will end up spending less money going that route that just trying to buy the housing.

I was at DIAM (Southfield, MI) in BCS1 up until a few years ago, now I'm down the street working for a Honeywell competitor actually
Yeah, you're better off doing it that way. Although Holsets are nice, you need a bit of ingenuity to have them work specifically and properly.

I was at DIAM as a contractor (on Telegraph) for a bit as well... Interesting people to say the least.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where to buy used Holset Housings