Notices

when you first put the turbo on and start it what do you do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when you first put the turbo on and start it what do you do?

when you first put a turbo on a motor what do you do when you start it? do you let it idle for a while. do you drive it. do you let it idle for a while, shut it down wait a while start it back up let it idle a while then drive? let me know what you do when you first install a turbo.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

crank it without starting it to get the oil pressure going.. then start it and let it idle.. check for leaks... if no leaks after a while... take it for a drive.. but a short one.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do not attempt to hti boost on the first run because A: Chances are you aren't tuned yet. B: You wanna make sure to pay attention to the sounds comnig from your car and get a feel for things. not a feel for the gas pedal.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:04 PM

Default Re: (Tchleung)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16Civic93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you first put a turbo on a motor what do you do when you start it? do you let it idle for a while. do you drive it. do you let it idle for a while, shut it down wait a while start it back up let it idle a while then drive? let me know what you do when you first install a turbo. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly, the first drive should be a checking for leaks kinda thing. Don't get a heavy foot.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tchleung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do not attempt to hti boost on the first run because A: Chances are you aren't tuned yet. B: You wanna make sure to pay attention to the sounds comnig from your car and get a feel for things. not a feel for the gas pedal.</TD></TR></TABLE>
exactly

The first time i got mine running right i took it for a long drive and ended up blowing my headgasket because i was boosting 15psi from my wastegate being messed up . It just felt so good that i didn't want to let off ....not such a good idea now that i think about it.
Old 03-19-2005, 08:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: when you first put the turbo on and start it what do you do? (B16Civic93)

I went out and blew the BOV out of the mount (Bosch BOV with the Saab rubber elbow). Then I dyno'd it, then drag raced it and drove it around for a couple of months just checking the oil regularly and popping the hood every time I parked to make sure everything was OK.

In my opinion if you're that worried about things falling off or not working right you shouldn't even leave the garage yet. Just let it warm up, let the fan cycle a few times, if everything's OK do a part-throttle run and build a few psi. Then work up to full throttle in stages.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

I shat myself.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:28 PM

Default Re: (boostincoupe)

Fire that ****** up and have some one hold the compressor for the first few seconds until oil reaches the turbo, then start checking for leaks. If everything is cool go for a quick drive and keep your foot out of it. Use all your sences to tell you if anyting is wrong, vibrations, sounds, smells, watch the gauges. I was nervous as hell my first drive. After that take it back and do a thourogh check of everyting, then start tuning (that is the fun part)! Routine maintence is very important, I fragged a rod bearing and some mains because i used shitty oil and didn't change it often enough , now I live under the hood. Good luck, happy boosting
Old 03-19-2005, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (96-EJ6 B18C)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96-EJ6 B18C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Fire that ****** up and have some one hold the compressor for the first few seconds until oil reaches the turbo </TD></TR></TABLE>

That is the msot retardedly unsafe thing I have ever heard in my life. for gods sake just pull the ecu fuse out and crnak the engine 10 times and you're done. fuse back in. then start the car. Better safe then sorry. especially for whoever is holding the wheels
Old 03-20-2005, 01:34 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tchleung &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

That is the msot retardedly unsafe thing I have ever heard in my life. for gods sake just pull the ecu fuse out and crnak the engine 10 times and you're done. fuse back in. then start the car. Better safe then sorry. especially for whoever is holding the wheels</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your stoned dude, there is hardly any force trying to spin the turbo at idle, I easily held mine on startup...it didn't even try to slip out of my hand.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:48 PM

its just like a radiator fan rite? has a clutch in it so you can hold it with your fingers and it wont force them off
Old 03-22-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: (honda90si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honda90si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its just like a radiator fan rite? has a clutch in it so you can hold it with your fingers and it wont force them off</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ehhhh, kinda, there is no clutch, just not enough exhaust gas going by the turbine wheel to spin the compressor very fast or with much force.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 96-EJ6 B18C &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Your stoned dude, there is hardly any force trying to spin the turbo at idle, I easily held mine on startup...it didn't even try to slip out of my hand.</TD></TR></TABLE>

how did you pull this off without melting your hand???
Old 03-22-2005, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

He is talknig about holding the compressor wheel. The whole idea is still pertty iffy. Liek I said. Better safe then sorry. And alot of ppl liek to run filters and such.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (dornon13)

Because he held the compressor, not the turbine thingy.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:29 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Re: when you first put the turbo on and start it what do you do? (B16Civic93)

Kick back and relax....enjoy the fruits of my labor (for about 5 min). And then "take" it for a spin and see how the damn thing pulls of course.
Old 03-22-2005, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (xthephilx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by xthephilx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Because he held the compressor, not the turbine thingy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would have to give props if he held the turbine hahaha
Old 03-22-2005, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: when you first put the turbo on and start it what do you do? (NVturbo)

its still hot anywhere down there imo
Old 03-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It only gets hot after you have it running for af ew mintues. teh first minute is no prob..
Old 03-22-2005, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Crank the motor a couple times with the ECU fuse pulled to pump some oil into it.
Old 03-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16Civic93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when you first put the turbo on and start it what do you do? </TD></TR></TABLE>

...**** my pants.

Defiently let it idle for a while and get up to normal temps. Check for oil pressure, fuel pressure, and any odd sounds.

shut the car off, and look for leaks.

No leaks? Take it out and start tuning...
Old 03-23-2005, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: when you first put the turbo on and start it what do you do? (Bryson)

take the oil return line off and let it hang over a oil pan then crank it till you get oil goin through...on mine it took a while so i would give the advice to crank it a few times and go. then hook it back up then crank a few more times then start it up and do as mentioned before...
Old 03-23-2005, 06:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

first step prime the oile line system and make sure that is working just discconnect the ecu fuse and crank over and over again till oil pressure builds up in the feed line. After than hook it to the turbo and make sure all connections are good.

Start it up idle it and look for leaks and any abnormal stuff.

After that tune it enjoy it and have fun
Old 03-23-2005, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: when you first put the turbo on and start it what do you do? (dornon13)

Just to add to what was said before... of course crank your car a few times to get oil to the turbo...

I also installed fuel injectors so I pressurized the fuel system by turning the key until the fuel pump turned on, then turning the key off, then on again... I did that three or four times and checked for fuel leaks... THEN I cranked it over...

It's a good idea to check your fuel system and make sure your injectors are all sealed up against the fuel rail and such, I ended up having a bad injector and was able to catch it in time before I broke something because of it...
Old 03-23-2005, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

let it idle for a few mins, check for leaks, make sure no cels, and take short drive and dont rag on it just check drivability

Quick Reply: when you first put the turbo on and start it what do you do?