Notices

Whats up with the anti-ball bearing movement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats up with the anti-ball bearing movement?

Why is it that everyone's complaining about the extra cost of a BB turbo?

I did some calculations, and it seems to be only $400 more for a BB turbo than a Non BB turbo, thats not such a big deal.
One more thing, howcome garret went with steel bearings instead of the ceramic bearings, ceramic bearings are suppose to last longer and are lighter.
Old 02-10-2004, 05:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats up with the anti-ball bearing movement? (ZoRG)

Some will say they cant afford the extra 400, but if they are spending all this money on a turbo they might as well save up and get something they want instead of wanting to upgrade what they have. I think in the long run they'd be saving money if they got all the stuff they wanted the first time around..........

Maybe garret used steel bearings for price reasons, i hav no clue about it?
Old 02-10-2004, 06:49 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ZoRG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why is it that everyone's complaining about the extra cost of a BB turbo?

I did some calculations, and it seems to be only $400 more for a BB turbo than a Non BB turbo, thats not such a big deal.
One more thing, howcome garret went with steel bearings instead of the ceramic bearings, ceramic bearings are suppose to last longer and are lighter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't understand it either. People wouldn't complain about lag anymore if they tried a BB turbo.

Are you sure about that longevity issue between the two? Who use's ceramic BB? Turbonetics, HKS, Mitsu?
Old 02-10-2004, 06:57 AM

That $400.00 - $550.00 went towards Hondata
Old 02-10-2004, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Whats up with the anti-ball bearing movement? (0x64Work)

thats a waste of money for most people. My $50 turbo is sized correctly and lag is not a problem for me. I would get brakes or good tires instead.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats up with the anti-ball bearing movement? (0x64Work)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 0x64Work &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">That $400.00 - $550.00 went towards Hondata </TD></TR></TABLE>

my thoughts exactly
Old 02-10-2004, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ZoRG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why is it that everyone's complaining about the extra cost of a BB turbo?

One more thing, howcome garret went with steel bearings instead of the ceramic bearings, ceramic bearings are suppose to last longer and are lighter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

*only* $400.. wow, what a steal.

That's almost the cost of a full turbo, NVM a few ball bearings.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats up with the anti-ball bearing movement? (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thats a waste of money for most people. My $50 turbo is sized correctly and lag is not a problem for me. I would get brakes or good tires instead.</TD></TR></TABLE>

See now that's a good answer I got my turbo from ebay, 150$ shipped to my door, factory rebuilt .48 t3. It's exactly what I was looking for, and the lag is nil. BB isn't really necessary if you pick the turbo right.

Matt
Old 02-10-2004, 08:51 AM

Another factor is that from what I understand the ball bearing turbos cannot be rebuilt. If somehow you flow a tiny spec of dust through the bearings or a flec of metal and it trashes everything, you have to buy a new center section again (basically a new turbo). I'm not about to spend 500 dollars extra on a disposable turbo... Also.. People are under the misconception I think that ball bearing turbos are a HUGE spool time advantage, when they usually aren't. Ball bearing turbos usually have much larger exhaust a/rs and it just balances it out. Yes they will spool a little faster, but not ridiculously faster. Just not worth it imo.