Notices

whats the threshhold for stock ignition

Old 04-07-2005, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the threshhold for stock ignition

hey guys just wondering at what point do i need to switch over to aftermarket ignition, im thinking MSD digital 6. but im not sure when i would need it, im aiming for 450whp by next spring...

im planning on building up the heads, sleeves, new crank, a few other things so i can pump up the boost a little more. right now its basically a stock b16a block w/ JE pistons and eagle rods, stock heads, i dont wanna go past 14lbs right now....
Old 04-07-2005, 09:18 AM

Default Re: whats the threshhold for stock ignition (B00STED Si)

neone?
Old 04-07-2005, 10:14 AM

Oh man another one who thinks he can't go past xxPSI!! IT doesn't MATTER!! aim for HP not PSI, it won't matter (too much). and yes from what people have said and done it looks like around 400-450 hp the stock ignition needs to be beefed up so i say you will need to upgrade it
Old 04-07-2005, 10:20 AM

Default Re: whats the threshhold for stock ignition (adseguy)

thanks man.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats the threshhold for stock ignition (adseguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh man another one who thinks he can't go past xxPSI!! IT doesn't MATTER!! aim for HP not PSI, it won't matter (too much). and yes from what people have said and done it looks like around 400-450 hp the stock ignition needs to be beefed up so i say you will need to upgrade it</TD></TR></TABLE>

The whole HP not PSI argument is being taken way out of context. For all you know he may not want to upgrade his map sensor and that's where he is setting his limit. He's running an SC50 on the same engine 200+ on this board are, I'm sure if you did any research you could predict the horsepower level he is going to make at xxPSI!! with having a 15whp degree of accuracy. The norm amount of people here aren't pioneering any setups, these are copies of proven setups the consistantly make the same level of power.
Old 04-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: whats the threshhold for stock ignition (ScottEK)

alright then what psi..?
Old 04-07-2005, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats the threshhold for stock ignition (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright then what psi..? </TD></TR></TABLE>

What PSI for... ? The oringial poster didn't ask any type of question regarding the maximum amount of boost he could run on said setup.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:10 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ScottEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The whole HP not PSI argument is being taken way out of context. For all you know he may not want to upgrade his map sensor and that's where he is setting his limit. He's running an SC50 on the same engine 200+ on this board are, I'm sure if you did any research you could predict the horsepower level he is going to make at xxPSI!! with having a 15whp degree of accuracy. The norm amount of people here aren't pioneering any setups, these are copies of proven setups the consistantly make the same level of power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very good argument and I totally agree, but I think a lot of us are tired of hearing "I want to run low boost" when they don't even know what turbo they are using yet or how much HP they actually want. Also most engine react differently depending on the condition. most tuners call it a day when adding boost doesn't provide anymore drastic results hence around 240-260whp for LS's...anyway I'm waaaaay off topic here so I'll stop.
Old 04-07-2005, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well back on topic then...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B00STED Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey guys just wondering at what point do i need to switch over to aftermarket ignition, im thinking MSD digital 6. but im not sure when i would need it, im aiming for 450whp by next spring...

im planning on building up the heads, sleeves, new crank, a few other things so i can pump up the boost a little more. right now its basically a stock b16a block w/ JE pistons and eagle rods, stock heads, i dont wanna go past 14lbs right now....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Peronsally, with your setup I would get it right now. You will already see gains from it and at mid-high boost you are at you could already expierence spark blow out. Plus right now you know your setup works so it will be one less thing to worry about when it becomes full-build time. I wish I would have previously bought it...
Old 04-08-2005, 04:47 AM

im running a 3 bar map sensor...idk how much more you want me to upgrade too lol thanks a lot guys.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would upgrade the ignition as soon as you have the money. Stock ignitions were never designed for all out performance. I know all of the arguments, but you can put an aftermarket system on a stock car and notice performance gains. There is a reason most every car on the race track has an MSD etc...

A good resource on this topic would be the book written by Dr. Christopher Jacobs I think the title is: "A Step by Step Guide to Optimizing Your Ignition"? He is the founder of Jacob's Ignition and really explains it in terms those of us with degrees other than electrical engineering can really understand.

I hope this helps, I am not trying to start a big argument with all of the oem faithfuls, but it is this simple, the same coil you are trying to power your boosted 400hp car with was designed to power your mom's 160hp Accord.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well look at my sig that was made with a stock ignition with just a msd coil
Old 04-08-2005, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats the threshhold for stock ignition (B18C1CYA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C1CYA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well look at my sig that was made with a stock ignition with just a msd coil </TD></TR></TABLE>

your MSD coil is probably at least 20,000 volts stronger than your factory coil. Its also fair to say you are using a modified ignition system. I still use my factory ignition module in the coil but then send it to a Jacob's exciter box and then a Jacob,s coil. The only other mods to my system are an MSD cap, rotor, and 8.5 mm wires. By the way this is all on a 2000 ITR with 9psi boost. My factory coil gave out about 10,000 miles ago before the car was boosted.