Notices

Whats the easiest way to relive crankcase pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the easiest way to relive crankcase pressure?

Alright, so now that I have most of the catch can info straight, I just had a few quick questions

I am running a boosted b16, stock block. I was planning on just running a breather on the valve cover, but i found out that it isn't enough. Can i modify the pcv valve in that black box to get it to stay open? If so how would i do it?

I just don't have the cash right now to get the can, lines, barb fittings, and the pcv plug.

TIA
Old 07-31-2006, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: Whats the easiest way to relive crankcase pressure? (AaronJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AaronJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I just don't have the cash right now to get the can, lines, barb fittings, and the pcv plug.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then don't boost it. Why risk your motor?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:10 AM

Default Re: Whats the easiest way to relive crankcase pressure? (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Then don't boost it. Why risk your motor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't have to buy those things to get the proper ventilation, i just want to know how i can modify the stock pcv valve to keep that open. I have seen people do that on here but i just don't know how it is done.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:12 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easiest way to relieve crankcase pressure? leave your pvc valve open (or remove it) on the back of your block and leave your valve cover breather open. Free and easy, problem solved.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:16 AM

Default Re: Whats the easiest way to relive crankcase pressure? (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Easiest way to relieve crankcase pressure? leave your pvc valve open (or remove it) on the back of your block and leave your valve cover breather open. Free and easy, problem solved.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just remove the valve? not the black box? do you still leave the pcv vacuum hooked up?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:21 AM
Moderator in Chief

no just vent both to atmosphere. this isn't complicated.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:22 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no just vent both to atmosphere. this isn't complicated.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I know its not, but what do i do with the stock pcv valve and the black box?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:24 AM
Moderator in Chief

nothing. black box &gt; PCV &gt; nothing. no tube, nothing. vents to atmosphere. all crankcase pressure can relieve itself without restriction. PCV will never close. Or you can remove it. it serves no purpose anymore.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:27 AM

so just yank the whole assembly off? I know that will work, but won't i be tossing oil out of hole where the black box used to go?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Leave the black box, it's basically an OEM catch can. I took the PCV valve, drilled it out so it stays open all the time, stock the PCV valve fitting back in the black box and ran a hose down from it underneath the car. Filter on the valve cover.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:28 AM

Default Re: Whats the easiest way to relive crankcase pressure? (RyanEJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanEJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Leave the black box, it's basically an OEM catch can. I took the PCV valve, drilled it out so it stays open all the time, stock the fitting back in the black box and ran a hose down from it underneath the car. Filter on the valve cover.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where did you run the hose from? did you keep the pcv vacuum hose on the intake mani?
Old 08-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Moderator in Chief

Nobody said to yank the black box off.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanEJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Leave the black box, it's basically an OEM catch can. </TD></TR></TABLE>
very true. and built in drain back!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AaronJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Where did you run the hose from? did you keep the pcv vacuum hose on the intake mani?</TD></TR></TABLE>

On the D16Y8 motor the PCV is in the black box and a hose ran from it to the intake manifold. I ran the hose from the PCV valve and instead of going to the intake manifold, I ran it underneath the car. The PCV valve is drilled out so it stays open all the time without having to have vacuum on it.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:33 AM

so the hose you ran was originally the hose that ran to the intake manifold correct? Doesn't that hose have all of the vapors/oil comming out of it?

Sorry for all the confusion, i am just having a hard time visuallizing this. I feel like a noob all over again
Old 08-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AaronJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so the hose you ran was originally the hose that ran to the intake manifold correct? Doesn't that hose have all of the vapors/oil comming out of it?

Sorry for all the confusion, i am just having a hard time visuallizing this. I feel like a noob all over again</TD></TR></TABLE>

Too bad I don't have any pictures of it. You can use the same hose yes, or you could put a longer one on if you wish. Yes the vapors come out of that hose now. Don't worry though, you won't be "spilling" oil everywhere. If you are then something else is wrong.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanEJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Leave the black box, it's basically an OEM catch can. I took the PCV valve, drilled it out so it stays open all the time, stock the PCV valve fitting back in the black box and ran a hose down from it underneath the car. Filter on the valve cover.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sweet! Now I'm ready to boost my car, phuckacatchcan!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the easiest way to relive crankcase pressure? (boostincoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boostincoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sweet! Now I'm ready to boost my car, phuckacatchcan!!! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn straight. Go boost that ****.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry for all the confusion, i am just having a hard time visuallizing this. I feel like a noob all over again</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thant's ok I have that problem all the time,Just look at the configuration of the parts and read over what has been said here again and again and it should come into perspective then. You are probably thinking to hard
Old 08-01-2006, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanEJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Leave the black box, it's basically an OEM catch can. I took the PCV valve, drilled it out so it stays open all the time, stock the PCV valve fitting back in the black box and ran a hose down from it underneath the car. Filter on the valve cover.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Pictures of this hose?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is pretty interesting. i may do this to my car even though it is not boosted.

so do you block port on intake manifold where the pcv hose connected?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (THE LORD OF CHAOS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THE LORD OF CHAOS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
so do you block port on intake manifold where the pcv hose connected? </TD></TR></TABLE>

You can. I used mine to run a hose to my vacuum distribution box.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RyanEJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanEJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You can. I used mine to run a hose to my vacuum distribution box. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Where's that (the dist. box)?
Old 08-01-2006, 10:55 AM

this thread needs pics badly. So if you open the pvc system it voides the need for a catch can? is this what you guys are saying? How will this effect an NA car that will soon see boost?

SORRY TO JACK!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Whiteintegra)

If you just vent to atmosphere you will spew oil ALL OVER your engine bay!!!

Here is a good pic on how to do this correctly. Note, I said correctly, there are other ways to do it but this will work the best.

Then there's the always infamous tony 1 picture!!

Old 08-01-2006, 11:23 AM

Default Re: (Whiteintegra)

Alright, so i think i found the pcv valve, and i broke it into like 30 pieces on accident..oh well.

it was in this hole

which then ran a vacuum hose up to here

I pulled out the black box

What do I do with the second hose that goes to the back of the block? keep it there?? the other one will just be replaced with a longer hose like Ryanej8 said to do. And then i will run a breather.

It all makes sense when you just go take **** apart. This should be alot easier than a catch can, and you shouldn't have to worry about draining the can, and having to fill your car back up with oil.

Thanks alot for all of your help guys.

Quick Reply: Whats the easiest way to relive crankcase pressure?