Notices

whats the cost of building turbo motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the cost of building turbo motor?

im thinking of building a motor, probably a Z6, and was woundering the cost. i was thinking it would be like around $1200. am i wrong? i want 20psi for the track and 15psi daily.
i have been told many things, need a block gaurd, block gaurds are ****, need sleeves for that much boost, no you dont as long as you got good fuel management, etc, etc, etc...
whats your opinion? or better yet what you got??

btw i will NOT go OBD-1 and will be using a Zdyne SECU Gold, in my CRX...
Old 05-21-2002, 12:01 AM

Default Re: whats the cost of building turbo motor? (turbohf)

Dustin to do it right, you do exactly what I did... But sleeve it

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/ZC.html

1200 bucks wont cut it either.. that would be a very hack job.. I recommend you find a good machinest and talk to him. Parts are another story.. you will never stop buying them.. Some people say its simple as buying forged pistons and some beefy rods.. Well it doesnt stop their, because you will need to do some type of re-inforcment for the cylinder walls since hondas are open deck. Sleeving is by far the best way to go. Or you can cheap out and do the method I did (posting) Posting is what Nascar uses, it is alot better then blockguards. Once your bottom end is built it will need to be balanced, then you will also need new main/rod bearings. Ok so now your running 15psi and blowing head gaskets and burning clutches into peices, time to O-ring the block/head or both. Also time to get a Race clutch. theirs another 1000 bucks. What about fuel? probably should get a fuel pump to.. Ok so now your making good power, what about the head? its damn near stock, lets get some real power and port it out, and a nice 3-5 way valve grind, and a good cam.. holy **** you are at another 1000 bucks..

Just to mention this, but your turbo wont even flow 15psi.. the compressor air wil be so freaking hot at 15psi it wont be worth it. That turbo is very small and great for 7-10psi. Also the HF/STD manifold will be bottleing up horsepower at 15psi anyways, so a custom manifold is going to be made.. Probably should externaly gate it to if you are going to run that much boost.. Hard to control boost when you are in the teens running internally gated.

So your making 275hp to your stock Si/DX tranny whatever, do you think you will get traction with that? How does your torque steer feel right now with those un-equal length axles? Time to buy a LSD tranny with a 3 peice axle set.. damn thats another 1300 bucks.. Plus you will need some slicks to get some sort of traction.. 400 bucks

Sorry to sound like an ***... but after 2 years of building this thing, I have learned alot... Dont start with a D-series.... B-series is a way better platform. and always expect things to be more...

Jeff Frank

[Modified by AbaZ, 9:05 AM 5/21/2002]
Old 05-21-2002, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats the cost of building turbo motor? (AbaZ)

Heh Heh Heh, like Abaz made apparently clear, turbo is expenxive and no one knows that better than someone that has switched to turbo. Some peeps on this board have over $15,000 invested in their street cars (and prolly still don't boost 20psi !) 20 psi is a large amount of boost and power... now granted you can more than likely put together a turbo kit from $1000-$1200, but that will just get you turbo'd. You said 20 psi ? The turbo and intercooler alone, for that kind of power, will cost over $1000 (if you steal it) Not to mention piping, BOV than can handle that kind of pressure, W/G that can control 20 psi. A stock head will be pointless at that stage. Forged internals definitely, Will need to balance everything, as abaz said...LSD,clutch,PP,slicks, axles. As well as some type of engine management... an v-afc and an inline just won't cut it for fuel management. And 20psi on a stock honda block ? Sure, some people do it, you see inlinepro daring you to run 20psi on stock motor and ECU, but that is BS, it might work for a while, but physics will catch up to you really soon and you'll find out why you need to sleeve a high boost honda block when your $1200 set of rods and pistons are trash.

good luck
Old 05-21-2002, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, Abaz is right. I have spent two years as well. I lurked here and readreadreadread. There is LOADS of info here. Its all about Money, then patience, then Money. There is always something to buy. I think the longest I went without buying anything was 2-3 weeks. Then something broke or wore out. Its constant. But if you want it and you know you want it then you will be happy.

Oh yeah, if you have a girl friend, dump her. You will thank me later!
j/k
Old 05-21-2002, 06:37 AM

Default Re: whats the cost of building turbo motor? (turbohf)

all comes down to paitence. You need $200 more to your blocked sleeved but that means downtime for the car and you need it to go to and from work. You look into block guards and see they are cheap and can easily be put on 1-2 days. What do you do? Do it right the first time believe me it's a lesson well learned.
Old 05-21-2002, 12:03 PM

Default Re: whats the cost of building turbo motor? (Doodoo)

Oh yeah, if you have a girl friend, dump her. You will thank me later!
j/k
Haha, thats why it took me nearly 2 years

I would have had that **** done last year if I didnt have birthdays/xmax/Aniversarys blah blah.. that money could have been spent on go fast parts
Old 05-21-2002, 12:26 PM

girls get in the way

all you do is spend time on your car.

don't tell me you are broke you just bought some thing for your car.

i sware you spend more time on your car than you do with me.

i see how it is: your car, your friends, and then me.
Old 05-21-2002, 12:45 PM

Default Re: whats the cost of building turbo motor? (CovertFI)

i say 'i dont love none them ho's!'

yapiity yappity yappity

is all i hear from broads
Old 05-21-2002, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i understand what you guys are saying. and i wont be using that small *** turbo either (Mazda MX6 turbo is what we are refering to), i was thinking a 14b DSM turbo. DSM guys boost up to 20psi on them. but your right with the tranny/axles and all that ****.

the idea with this was to build a motor (D16Z6 VTEC) for around $1200, and to boost on it (the 15psi) and be pretty damn fast. then be saving up for a B18A/B swap with a built motor (with sleeves and all that ****, like 3-4k worth?) that can boost at least 20psi. and the Z6 would also be a 'test run' so i would know what i could do better (or not do) next time.

btw i have a ZC in my car now, but i think i want to go with the Z6 cuz they can be had pretty cheap and i will still be able to drive the ZC while the Z6 is being built. maybe i should just skip the Z6 and build the B18...more thinking to do....