Notices

Whats the Compression Ratio for a GSR motor with Civic Type R pistons???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2001, 08:22 PM
King of the One Liners

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Whats the Compression Ratio for a GSR motor with Civic Type R pistons???

I am looking at buying a 92 hatch that has a gsr swap with Civic type R pistons and rods, CTR cams, sKunk2 mani, and ECU, CAI, kooks 4-1, no cat and N1 exhaust. I was wondering what the compression would be. He said it is somewhere around 12:6:1. Does that sound right? Also this will be my daily driver, does this setup sound safe for the street, on pump gas? Thanks
Old 11-05-2001, 07:05 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Whats the Compression Ratio for a GSR motor with Civic Type R pistons??? (2fastGSR)

more like 12.2:1. THat can be used on pump gas, you have to tune it to prevent knocking.
Old 11-05-2001, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the Compression Ratio for a GSR motor with Civic Type R pistons??? (FAST94GSR)

Have it tuned and make sure you always use Ultra 94 and your good to go.
Old 11-05-2001, 09:17 AM
King of the One Liners

Default Re: Whats the Compression Ratio for a GSR motor with Civic Type R pistons??? (b18b98)

What is actually involved in tuning?
Old 11-05-2001, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the Compression Ratio for a GSR motor with Civic Type R pistons??? (2fastGSR)

What is actually involved in tuning?
No, I've heard high 12's as well (like 12.6:1). I wouldn't even run that on pump gas unless it was mad tuned. It sucks to build something and then have it blow (been there more than once). by tuning, meaning someone remapping the ECU with ignition/fuel maps that suit your motor as well as fuel upgrades.

Honestly, I'd just get ITR pistons and call it a day. Way less headaches and money.

-C
Old 11-05-2001, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am looking at buying a 92 hatch that has a gsr swap with Civic type R pistons and rods
Here is something to think. Does it truly have CTR rods in it? If so, the compression ratio may not be as high as these guys are suggesting. The CTR is a destroked ITR motor to accomplish the 1.6L. I checked the figures and the CTR uses a 77.4mm rod length versus the ITR uses a 87.2mm rod. This would lower the compression ratio significantly would it not? Effectively, wouldn't it lower displacement too?
Old 11-05-2001, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the Compression Ratio for a GSR motor with Civic Type R pistons??? (RStoR)

I am looking at buying a 92 hatch that has a gsr swap with Civic type R pistons and rods

Here is something to think. Does it truly have CTR rods in it? If so, the compression ratio may not be as high as these guys are suggesting. The CTR is a destroked ITR motor to accomplish the 1.6L. I checked the figures and the CTR uses a 77.4mm rod length versus the ITR uses a 87.2mm rod. This would lower the compression ratio significantly would it not? Effectively, wouldn't it lower displacement too?
no, stroke and bore are the only thing that change displacement. I think the guy is full of it and just has GSR or ITR rods. I'm just guessing, but the Cr would be like 5:1 or something stupid. (I'm pulling this out of my ***).
Old 11-05-2001, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the Compression Ratio for a GSR motor with Civic Type R pistons??? (TypeC)

I agree that the car probably does not have CTR rods in it! Just wanted to make it clear that most people don't ask enough questions before they comment on a topic. Everyone needs to read more carefully before they rattle off answers. That is how so much mis-information is passed along.
Old 11-05-2001, 12:52 PM

That is not advisable, I was at the tuning session of a similar Civic, and the car pinged and knocked like hell, everything they tried was to no avail. By the way this tuner knows his ****. Job Spetter, (Turbo People) It was not until we put C16 in that the car started making some serious power. Made 216whp. They tried everything with the fuel and Ignition but nothing worked. I will not advise that for a daily driver.
Old 11-05-2001, 04:01 PM
New User

Default Re: Whats the Compression Ratio for a GSR motor with Civic Type R pistons??? (Liltrix)

That's strange I have CTR pistons with a GSR head milled 20 and I only have slight pingin off idle only. I'm over 12:1 easy. I do have a Skunk ecu with a vafc. You can run 12:1 on pump gas. I do.
Old 11-06-2001, 08:46 AM
King of the One Liners

Default Re: Whats the Compression Ratio for a GSR motor with Civic Type R pistons??? (FAST94GSR)

You guys are right, it does not have CTR Rods, my mistake, I thought it did. It has shot peened stock rods. And the car also has Skunk2 ecu with V AFC.. So it should be OK?....maybe...hehehe I guess we will find out.

Just get ITR pistons and call it a day? Why so I can be like everyone else?
Old 11-11-2001, 12:50 AM
New User

Well, I am glad we got the facts strait about the ctr "rods". As for the pistons, the compression ratio varies from motor to motor. Even if it is just comparing gsr, to gsr. It depends on head gasket thickness. if the block has been decked (or not). If the head has been milled,(or not). If the valves have flat tops or domed tops, (stock ones have domes). Depends on rods used. Even elevation plays a role in the compression, (only about ten billions of a fraction though). Also depends on wether or not the builder chooses to de burr the valve shrouds, and the square combustion chamber, before assembly. Now considering all things "exactly as stock", I would hesitate to say, but I beleive the compression ratio of ctr pistons in a gsr motor would be roughly 12.4:1. I happen to run this setup, and I am very pleased with it. I have no knocking, and it pulls like a freakin' NASA shuttle launch off the line!! NO ONE, and I mean NO ONE has yet to take me off the line. These are just more facts to chew on. Don't listen to those geeks that say "You cannot run this setup". I have proof, because I do it daily. I run on 92 octane, and my motor runs as quit as a sewing machine. Now, the reason that this setup can be run is because of a little thing called a "KNOCK SENSOR". This little microphone listens for detonation "pinging" in your motor. When it hears this detonation, it backs off the timing until it goes away. It also adjusts the fuel map accordingly. So running CTR's is completely safe, and HIGHLY rccomended. Just my two cents biys and girls. Good luck to all on their projects.
ADAM
Old 11-11-2001, 07:01 AM
New User

Default Re: Whats the Compression Ratio for a GSR motor with Civic Type R pistons??? (adamp35)

YO Adam what kind of numbers are you putting down? What kind of ets are you running. I have 12.5:1 compression easy (CTR's with a milled .020 GSR head) and I friggin love it. The 12:1 compression gives you that torque you want for sure.

THere's an import race here in Orlando, I only have bout 600 m iles on my motor but i'm thinkin bout doin a run anyway. hmmm packing slicks just in case!
Old 11-11-2001, 12:30 PM
New User

fast 94,
I have yet to take my car to a track. But I LOVE street racing. I think it makes my adrenaline pump more, than would a track race. But in my days on the street I have my fair share of wins and losses. All of my losses though occured after 3rd gear, so I was doin some high speeds when I got passed. Like I said, NO ONE can take me off the line. My motor is a 95 b18c with ctr pistons. But my car is a 92 vx hatch back, full interior - the carpet. I have raced, mitsubishi eclipses, Nissan 300zx, Camaro Z28, Camaro SS, Mustang 5.0, a 56 chevy with an LT1, and a 95 hatch with a b18b and a dragIII turbo. I guess the best way to judge would be, I killed the '56 by two cars, and he runs ~14.5, and I lost to the camaro by about a car, he runs ~13.6. SO I am somewhere in there. 13.6-14.5. the turboed hatch I raced ran a 13.7, and he edged me out in the end. SoI would guesstimate I run about 13.9. Ill let you know whatI run after I do m head work , and cams. thats when I am going to the track. I want low 13's. Ill let you know.
ADAM