Notices

whats is better supercharger or turbocharger?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats is better supercharger or turbocharger?

if supercharger is better then what about a dual turbocharger is that even possible on a crx?
Old 04-29-2002, 12:19 PM

Default Re: whats is better supercharger or turbocharger? (sbplay22)

Turbo's are better but a lot is involved with installing them, and superchargers are pretty easy to install, but boost is limited... Turbo's take less power from the motor to create boost, and that is a scientific fact...
Old 04-29-2002, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turbochargers make more power than a supercharger will. The install of a supercharger is easier than a turbo but their are problems that are encountered with both setups. Tuning is key in whichever setup you are using. Twin turbos are not really practical on a street driven honda due to space limitations and the amount of tuning needed to get it running. It is much simpler and easier to make power using one turbocharger. However, on a drag car it might be more suited to use a twin system like the DRT civic.
Old 04-29-2002, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

for imports this question really shouldn't even be asked.

Is it that obvious to some people only???

Anyone who knows technology AT ALL knows the right anwser, so I feel I don't need to say it.
Old 04-29-2002, 12:56 PM
Urban Business

when people tell you hondas work better with superchargers their full of it. both work just as well depends on tuning and power curves are in different places.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:36 PM

When you can't descide, just superturbocharge.
Old 04-29-2002, 06:42 PM

Default Re: whats is better supercharger or turbocharger? (TorteX)

when people tell you hondas work better with superchargers their full of it. both work just as well depends on tuning and power curves are in different places.
Exactly turbos are for high revving and Super charger amke power down low. Go vortech on a b18c5
Old 04-29-2002, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats is better supercharger or turbocharger? (89 CRX SI)

Turbo all the way!!!
Old 04-29-2002, 07:15 PM

Default Re: whats is better supercharger or turbocharger? (civicefhatchback)

I have had both supercharger and turbo and my vote goes to turbo. There may be more things involved but the overall power and fun factor goes to turbo!!

vroommmm psssssssssss

That's what I love to hear!!
Old 04-29-2002, 07:32 PM

Default Re: whats is better supercharger or turbocharger? (ekb18c)

I had nitrous for 4 months, supercharger for 1 month, and now turbo for almost 2 weeks and i love turbo. It really depends on what end results u are looking for.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats is better supercharger or turbocharger? (94hondahybrid)

Superturbocharger
Old 04-29-2002, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats is better supercharger or turbocharger? (newgsrdriver)

torocharger
Old 04-29-2002, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats is better supercharger or turbocharger? (94hondahybrid)

saying "turbo is better" isnt exactly true. better for power? yes. But can you say you can start up your car on a cold morning, drive off after maybe a minute and not do anymore damage to the car than if it were stock? Can you say your turbo has instant boost? NO! Can you put a 100,000 mile warranty on the turbo? You can, but I sure as hell wouldn't! Only turbo car I would trust is a Subaru, which is factory turbocharged and still probably the most reliable car on the market today! Even so if you abuse the car by not allowing sufficient warm up and cool down of the turbo, it cannot be good for the car! What is better? I like turbochargers, but I will have to make a lifestyle change if I got a turbocharged car. I gotta wake up early to allow my car to sufficiently warm up and get to school at least 45 minutes early to let it cool down before shutting off, then taking my 15-20 min walk to class. If i had turbo'd my car instead of supercharging it, then I woulda probably killed it a long time ago. Do what you prefer, but I want a car I can live with. A JRSC'd car is practically idiot proof... just dont start trying to make it faster than it is. If you are happy with what it has to offer stock, then get a JRSC. If you want faster, get a turbo. Turbo's are as reliable as you make em and that involves plenty of money, but if you like to go fast, its worth the effort.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats is better supercharger or turbocharger? (csufweed)

Seems like there is a lot of misinformation about all this necessary "turbo maintenance". Turbocharged cars don't require anything beyond what a supercharged car needs. I think some people just tell themselves this to make themselves feel better...
Old 04-29-2002, 09:26 PM
Trial User

Default Re: whats is better supercharger or turbocharger? (dustin)

Seems like there is a lot of misinformation about all this necessary "turbo maintenance". Turbocharged cars don't require anything beyond what a supercharged car needs. I think some people just tell themselves this to make themselves feel better...
What I have never understood is how boost from a supercharger is so much less harmful to a motor than boost from a turbocharger? I would tend to think it's the other way around.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: whats is better supercharger or turbocharger? (Phantom)

I don't get that either. JRSC = pinging. How is this easier on the car?

Oh, I forgot. And JRSC is much cheaper. But then it gets more expensive when you need around fourty-three separate "controllers", "tricks", "mods", and "relays" to fool the car into trying to run right.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude whatever... you dont let your car warm up before you take off and you dont have a turbo timer or at least wait a lil bit before shutting off?

With a s/c all you do is drive and change the belt occasionally. None of that warm up and cool down of the oil is necessary at all!
Old 04-29-2002, 09:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude whatever... you dont let your car warm up before you take off and you dont have a turbo timer or at least wait a lil bit before shutting off?
I just drive it.

The turbo timer runs all by itself, but I usually just turn the turbo timer off because it isn't necessary. You only need one if you just ran the car really hard and feel the need to immediately shut the ignition off (track setting). Turbo timers are some of those neato-gadgets that everyone seems to think they need.

With a s/c all you do is drive and change the belt occasionally. None of that warm up and cool down of the oil is necessary at all!
My turbo doesn't have any belts to change
Old 04-29-2002, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

JRSC = no pinging with me.

Basic Kit = $2650 and occasional belts at $20 each = expensive??? NOPE!

My car runs right and I kept it at 6 psi and guess what? NO PROBLEMS! I have changed the belt twice in my 3 years with the kit.

Reliable, Cheaper than a Turbo, I was able to run a 13.9 which is fast enough with me, and I passed smog.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had no problems and I have changed no belts.

The smog thing might be the only aspect you've got me on
Old 04-29-2002, 09:38 PM

superturbocharged NOS
spoon engine with T66 + MoTeC exhaust !
Old 04-29-2002, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i also have you on 2psi boost at idle and max boost at 2k rpm... but that is besides the point.

everytime I drive, I drive far... even a bone stock car is extremely hot by the time I am done driving, so just driving wont work for me... and the car has frost on it in the morning when i get up at 5 or 6 am to go to school... so just driving it will probably not be a good thing. if it is, then let me know and guarantee to fix my car if i kill it...

Old 04-29-2002, 09:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You want boost at idle? hehe, I only want boost when I am seriously on the throttle.
Old 04-29-2002, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey, my point is different needs, different mods... obviously i cant abuse a turbocharged car like some people and still have it running. Nor can I legally pass smog with it. turbo's are fun, manual transmission cars are fun, but more than not I am thankful that i got a supercharged auto, instead of a manual turbo... driving in heavy traffic every day, driving home barely awake and hung over, driving while practically asleep and in traffic... UGH!!!

As for the boost, its there, but its being bypassed, but it is there... I want the boost there when i need it... pretty helpful when autocrossing or rallying (yes i rallied a few times before and that is when my car developed 99% of its squeaks and rattles)

Dont get me wrong I like turbos... my next car is most likely gonna be a WRX at this point and originally i wanted a turbo for my current car, but had to pass smog. i dont regret it too much... since illegal smogs are getting REALLY hard to find nowadays!
Old 04-29-2002, 10:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do this regardless. Even with my N/A cars I do this. You mean that you don't do this with your SC'd car? Geez, I'd hate to be the guy who buys your used car ::cringe::

Quick Reply: whats is better supercharger or turbocharger?