Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

What's the better option? Rebuild the D-series or Swap a K? Warning: Low funding

What's the better option? Rebuild the D-series or Swap a K? Warning: Low funding

Old 01-16-2019, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default What's the better option? Rebuild the D-series or Swap a K? Warning: Low funding

So I purchased a 1998 ek (ek6) hatch a few weeks ago and have been trying to decide my plans for the car. I have a hp goal of 180-200 since i want a fun daily, and the top priority is reliability, but the d16y7 currently in it has 322000kms on it. Since I am currently in college, funds are low and from what I read, a turbo d-series is the best bang for buck in my case (even though I am an N/A boi at heart).

Now I'm trying to decide if I should rebuild the current engine and piece together a turbo kit (not ebay), or try to find another d16 to just replace it with and turbo that one. With all the research I've done, I've come to the conclusion that an internally stock engine from the factory will always be more reliable than one that's been cracked open and messed around with. But on the other hand d series engines didn't come stock with a turbo so...

Since these d16's are so old, most are at least 200000kms. Would I have more reliability turboing a stock semi-high mileage one, or partially rebuilding my current one and turbocharging that? (I consider myself somewhat mechanically knowledgable, I swapped a b18a1 into my ef without too much hassle but have never done internal work)
Thanks!!

Sorry if this is in the wrong section
Old 01-16-2019, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: What's the better option? Rebuild the D-series or Swap a K? Warning: Low funding

Originally Posted by FourthGen View Post
So I purchased a 1998 ek (ek6) hatch a few weeks ago and have been trying to decide my plans for the car. I have a hp goal of 180-200 since i want a fun daily, and the top priority is reliability, but the d16y7 currently in it has 322000kms on it. Since I am currently in college, funds are low and from what I read, a turbo d-series is the best bang for buck in my case (even though I am an N/A boi at heart).

Now I'm trying to decide if I should rebuild the current engine and piece together a turbo kit (not ebay), or try to find another d16 to just replace it with and turbo that one. With all the research I've done, I've come to the conclusion that an internally stock engine from the factory will always be more reliable than one that's been cracked open and messed around with. But on the other hand d series engines didn't come stock with a turbo so...

Since these d16's are so old, most are at least 200000kms. Would I have more reliability turboing a stock semi-high mileage one, or partially rebuilding my current one and turbocharging that? (I consider myself somewhat mechanically knowledgable, I swapped a b18a1 into my ef without too much hassle but have never done internal work)
Thanks!!

i think you posted in the correct part of the board, you are correct about a Honda assembled engine being well assembled engine. With the mileage on that motor Iíd be a little concerned about adding a turbo, but it really depends on the condition of the motor and how well it got serviced. Iím guessing this is a daily car for you which makes readability a number one concern. I would start off with a compression test and see how it looks compared to the stock recommendation specs and the numbers are good you might get by with a basic amount of boost. If the car was not a daily...... turbo the poop out of it until it pops. Lol also, if you donít spend the money to build / assemble a motor correctly it will not last
Old 01-16-2019, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: What's the better option? Rebuild the D-series or Swap a K? Warning: Low funding

Bore cylinders .25mm and hone
Vitara Piston & Rod Combo
New bearings
Get the head & inspected, new OEM valve springs, retainers, and stem seals at a minimum IMO
New gaskets, fluids, done.

Confirm your clearances, pay attention to torque specs and assembly, and it would hold up great to those power levels.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The engine only has 126k miles, 200,000km. See my reply on your other thread.
Old 01-16-2019, 02:30 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by turboLScrx View Post

i think you posted in the correct part of the board, you are correct about a Honda assembled engine being well assembled engine. With the mileage on that motor I’d be a little concerned about adding a turbo, but it really depends on the condition of the motor and how well it got serviced. I’m guessing this is a daily car for you which makes readability a number one concern. I would start off with a compression test and see how it looks compared to the stock recommendation specs and the numbers are good you might get by with a basic amount of boost. If the car was not a daily...... turbo the poop out of it until it pops. Lol also, if you don’t spend the money to build / assemble a motor correctly it will not last
I agree with turboLScrx. Your HP goal isn't excessive, but it won't last unless you build. I will say it's extremely hard to not let the scope of your project creep, especially if it is going to take you a while to amass the parts. I honestly think to build an engine and turbo kit with good parts that will be reliable yet is somewhat budget conscious, you should still plan to spend between $4,000 - $5,000 if you buy all new parts.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just find a low mileage Y8 or z6 motor and turbo it...

Makes absolutely no sense to dig into a single cam motor if the goal is keep it stock and 200whp.

A running single cam can be had for like $300. Go out ur way and find one in great condition and pay $500 tops. Turbo and go.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I picked up a b18a1 in perfect condition on craigslist for 50 bucks LOL. perfect for 300 whp stock.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks!!

If funds are low, I don't recommend turbo at all. The absolute bare minimum you're gonna spend is still in the 2k range, even with such low hp goals, you'll want a basic rebuild done first. I don't know how you drew the conclusion about the engine info. Factory is good and reliable if you leave it alone, not if you increase its power by 200% or more.. You're bottle-necked by those internals; All bets are off after 220 horses. Can you slap a turbo kit on it now? Yes. Will it last? Uncertain. Any other engine you drop in will put you in the same boat; how long will THIS engine go in its condition? It's risky. Risky and low funds don't mix well. Rebuild what you already have and work from there. That's cheaper than spending 300 on another engine that you know no history of. 300 will buy an engine rebuild kit for what you have. 12 hours of labor and you got a fresh engine to work with! If you're keeping it stock, rebuild to freshen it up, simple GT28 setup on about 8psi will put you in a budget-friendly, zippy, low end power college mobile that would make ya happy!
Old 01-17-2019, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What's the better option? Rebuild the D-series or Swap a K? Warning: Low funding

OP isn't considering a K.

Boosting with limited funds is a bad idea, just as a side note.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What's the better option? Rebuild the D-series or Swap a K? Warning: Low funding

Originally Posted by Chance EG View Post

Boosting with limited funds is a bad idea, just as a side note.
^^^ Truth
Old 01-17-2019, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Imo it depends on the crank. Z6 is much more suited if you want to build later. People had problems on Y7 crank.
On the other hand K series is the king of swaps but very expensive.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im not sure what happened to the title, but I must not have been as clear as I should've been lol. I just wanted some opinions on if I should rebuild my d series (not for mad performance or anything, just enough to bring some life back into it) or try to source a different one and turbo that (like solo227 recommended). All the threads I've read about turbo d series seem to say they are good for up to 220 hp on stock internals. If I only want 180-200hp then I don't think Im asking too much out of it. Obviously building it for boost would be ideal, but I only need it to last me a year or two so I can save up some money for a gsr or k series.

Also I'm not super mega broke, I just am trying not to break the bank for a little extra power

And some ppl may have misread my first post, I do not have a motor with 200000kms (126000 miles). Mine has 320000kms, I was just saying how 20 year old engines like the d series are hard to find with less than 200000kms.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Save your money if you're going to swap, really stupid to buy parts for an engine you're not keeping.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 View Post
Save your money if you're going to swap, really stupid to buy parts for an engine you're not keeping.
I'd agree here. If you're gonna swap, save money for that. If you're wondering whether to turbo the D OR swap, that's a debate that'll stretch to no end.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah i guess you guys are right, but it still sort of relates to my initial problem. I have a high mileage engine d16y7, should I rebuild it to last me for a little longer, or try to find another engine. This car isn't currently my daily but it will be once I sell my ef.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:53 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

If you have a limited budget, just get the typical maintenance done with the car and drive it. I waited quite a while to start my current turbo setup. There are more important priorities than a boosted Honda.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The only problem is that I don't know when the timing belt was last changed and the clutch is on its way out, otherwise yeah thats what I would do. I just thought since I would be in the engine (doing a timing belt job), it would be worth the extra work to replace some things that may lead to the prolonging of my motor. As opposed to finding another d16 with less mileage
Old 01-17-2019, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

changing a timing belt is much easier than rebuilding the whole motor. You can also look at the belt rubber itself too see the condition. Is it getting stiff and cracking or still soft and pliable.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:00 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

The only problem is that I don't know when the timing belt was last changed and the clutch is on its way out, otherwise yeah thats what I would do. I just thought since I would be in the engine (doing a timing belt job), it would be worth the extra work to replace some things that may lead to the prolonging of my motor. As opposed to finding another d16 with less mileage
Yeah, get the thing running right, especially if it's going to be a daily driver. tiemze is right - rebuilding the whole engine is going to be a much bigger undertaking than freshening things up. If it were me, I'd just freshen up all the tired parts I could get to without pulling the head off, unless you have bad compression or leak down.
Old 01-17-2019, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Timing belt area. Change out the timing belt, tensioner, water pump, front crank oil seal, and cam seal, valve cover gasket, all accessory belts. Then check valve lash and adjust as necessary. Check CV boots for cracking, tie rod, ball joint; replace as needed. When you do the clutch, check passenger side CV and tie rod and ball joint, replace as needed. Rear main seal when you do the clutch as well. Check coolant hoses while you've got the tranny out, replace as needed. You can have most of your maintenance items done right there. Plugs, wires, oil change, bam done!
Old 01-18-2019, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisfrom1986 View Post
The engine only has 126k miles, 200,000km. See my reply on your other thread.
Thank you for your concern regarding the title thread change for the threadstarter.

The OP had two threads with exactly the same content on the FI and the K series forums. So, I'll simply eliminate the k-series portion once OP approves. I did not want to elaborate further regarding the K-series thread..

Is daily driving a K-series worth it?

fair enough?
Old 01-18-2019, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan View Post
Thank you for your concern regarding the title thread change for the threadstarter.

The OP had two threads with exactly the same content on the FI and the K series forums. So, I'll simply eliminate the k-series portion once OP approves. I did not want to elaborate further regarding the K-series thread..

fair enough?
Yes you can remove that K-series thread, thanks for asking. I originally was trying to decide between a gsr and k swap as a daily driver, but realized the cheapest of those 2 is still going to be around 4000$ and I wasn't sure if that was potentially overkill for just a fun daily. I then started researching turbo d series since I had read on a few threads that a stock d16 + turbo kit + good tune = not too expensive and still fun/somewhat reliable, thats why I created the rebuild vs swap thread. I just didn't want to half-***/settle on a setup for this car but at the same time, I don't want to put more money in it than I need to.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan View Post

fair enough?
Wasn't aware of the k thread, he has this mirrored on other sites and there was no mention of it in the OP. My bad.

Honestly the easiest thing for you to do is to swap in a b20 and choose your transmission. You can then decide if you need a turbo after. The extra torque from the b20 would put you close to a small budget turbo setup on your d16.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: