Notices

What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??.......

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2001, 07:32 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??.......

I am getting a stand alone at the end of the month and need some help deciding between my options....

-Option One: Drive 2000 miles round trip to get Hondata stage 4b with programmer and every option for about $1450 installed and tuned. I dont have a person in my entire state who has hondata or knows how to tune it. I really trust the person there who would be doing it as far as him knowing what he is doing and doing a great job. I would have to learn how to tune it myself do the fact that I dont have anyone here to teach me when i get back. I have a friend here with an electromotive tec II on his race car who said he is pretty sure he could figure out how to tune it and help me out with it. How hard is hondata to learn if you are familiar with other stand alones?

-Option Two: Get the Electromotive Tec II for around 2300 tuned and have it installed and tuned here. I would have someone here who is an expert at it to be there but he said he was pretty sure that he could figure out hondata as well.

-Some other factors: I already have msd 6al ignition which i will need with hondata but could sell if I am getting tec II as I undestand they come with upgraded ignition. How much would I be able to get for that thing cause I could take that off the cost of the TEC II??

Are there any advantages of one system over the other. Any preferences? Thanks
Old 11-07-2001, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??....... (dc2jdmhonda)

Get the Hyundiata....
Old 11-07-2001, 08:33 PM

Default Re: What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??....... (Damon501)

where are you located? if i were you i would save up some more money and get a real stand alone unit such as accel dfi, or haltech or motec. ya know one of those will be great. Haltech is pretty easy to tune. Its all in bar graphs.
Old 11-07-2001, 08:54 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??....... (Damon501)

Damon get hondata and bring your girl to florida and make a trip to the beach..
Old 11-07-2001, 09:42 PM

i'd personally go Hondata... but if you got the money, MoTec is the ****.
Old 11-07-2001, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??....... (InfamousCivic)

the tec2 is a real standalone...

the real question here is: Will this car see the strip only, mostly street, or half of each? If your car is mostly street driven, I'd get the hondata...as for a strip terror, I'd get the tec2. look into the tec3 if you're thinking about the tec2, supposed to be way easier to tune, more features, and plug and play kit for hondas...
Old 11-08-2001, 01:17 AM

Default Re: What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??....... (Slow_ass_4dr)

Hey bro, let me save you 2000 miles real quick:

If you're getting the Stage 4 with all the goodies, there's a absolutely no reason for you to drive 2000 miles to install it. That's crazy-talk. You can install it yourself in 30 minutes and have your local guy tune it on his dyno for you. Just give him the software to check out a little in advance and you'll be gravy.

Trust me, if you drive 2000 miles to see how easy it is, you'll be kicking yourself in the *** for wasting that much time (unless you're into long-*** drives).

Colby
Old 11-08-2001, 05:50 AM
New User

Default Re: What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??....... (AshlandSi)

Go Hondata dude, a lot cheaper and they have a great reputation.
Old 11-08-2001, 07:56 AM
New User

Default Re: What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??....... (97CivicFerio)

Thank for all the suggestions. Keep them coming
Old 11-08-2001, 07:59 AM

why not zdyne?
Old 11-08-2001, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??....... (MIDNIGHT)

Zdyne only makes SECU's for 88-91 non-OBD cars currently, although there OBD-1 is near completion for what i've heard.
Old 11-08-2001, 08:32 AM
New User

Default Re: What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??....... (Speed PHreak)

The main reason I am going to Tampa is that I want someone I feel 100% comfortable with doing my install and tuning. Someone that has done it before and produced great results. I am sure that the guy here could do it fine but I want someone who has done it before. So I can learn from him as much as I can. I am located in Little Rock, AR and planned on going to TX orginally but they were gonna rape me at Alamo for 3B installed and tuned for like $1370.. If anyone in TX who had ran Hondata and was very familiar with it could tune and install for around $300 I would be very thankful...
Old 11-08-2001, 08:51 AM
New User

well if you do come to FL and have Hondata installed & tuned, we'd teach you as we went along. It's not that difficult to do the actual tuning, but some of the finer points of tuning in general is different. I'm almost positive your friend with the Tec 2 could figure it out though
Old 11-08-2001, 08:54 AM
New User

If you're coming to Tampa to get your Hondata, I probably know the person that's gonna do the installing......and I say it would be worth your while. Learn as much as you can from him so that you can use that knowledge for yourself and others later.
Old 11-08-2001, 09:08 AM
New User

Default Re: What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??....... (Project_Integra)

If you're coming to Tampa to get your Hondata, I probably know the person that's gonna do the installing......and I say it would be worth your while. Learn as much as you can from him so that you can use that knowledge for yourself and others later.
wow those kind of compliments make me want to leave today for tampa!!!!
Old 11-08-2001, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just on a side note till the end of next week i can get apexi power fcs for you guys (Well integra R integra gsr) for 1200 with both comander and ecu its standalone and i think is pretty darn good ( if you arent looking to go completely nuts and rewire your entire car

email me fourdoorex@aol.com
Old 11-08-2001, 12:52 PM
Trial User

Default Re: What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??....... (PROFILE GSR)

there is a group buy on haltech by the rx-7 ppl, and they are selling the ecu + 3 bar map sensor for about 930... I think it will be much more worth your while that way.

on the side note, I agree that if you are getting hondata stage 4b, then there is no need to drive 2000 miles at all; hondata is meant to be PnP, so that almost anyone can install it.

you should decide which one you like better, then choose the standalone instead.
Old 11-08-2001, 12:57 PM
New User

Default Re: What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??....... (98lude)

I dont understand what you mean by choos the stand alone instead.. Arent these all stand alones?? Would I need the ecu for haltech? Is the halteh better than hondata, and why? thanks for all the opinons and comments..
Old 11-08-2001, 02:41 PM
Trial User

sorry.. what I wanted to say was that, you should decide on the ecu on their merits, and not on how far the dealers are away from you. should have made myself clear, but I tot I heard my boss walking behind my cube..

haltech takes a bit of work to get installed, but I am sure your tec2 friend will be able to install it. For Hondata, I believe that you should be able to install everything yourself.
Old 11-08-2001, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??....... (98lude)

Alamo in arlington does hondata...and it's only about 350 miles one way from little rocck....
they are authorized hondata dist...maybe you want to consider that option...
Old 11-08-2001, 03:12 PM
New User

Default Re: What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??....... (Flamenco-T)

Alamo was option one but they wanted $1370 for stage 3b... I didnt think that was a good deal.. Installed and tuned..
Old 11-08-2001, 03:22 PM
New User

i can tell you right now that i live in tec II country(virginia) and almost no one uses it here for hondas. i'd try hondata or think about speed pro, haltech, dfi, or even think about power fc. i'm sure if he's an expert at tec II, he can figure those out.
Old 11-08-2001, 07:13 PM
Dee
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??....... (jinxproof99)

If you have questions about pricing you might want to contact Doug and Hondata. All distributors are supposed to sell the ECU's at the same price. I guess Alamo charges more for the 20 minute install and tuning session.

I am the only person in Japan who has a Hondata 4b and I did my install w/o any problems. Next week I will getting on the dyno for fine tuning after the Greddy AF meter is installed!! The ECU has "custom" programs that can be taylored to your needs. My car with RC 440 inj's started on the first try, after I plug in the starter wire , and idled with no problems.

Speedpro is much better than TEC II!! DFI = blah!! Power FC is for JDM suck monkeys who don't know any better Power FC pro is GOOD!! Haltech is good to go!!
Old 11-08-2001, 08:33 PM
New User

Default Re: What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??....... (drealgsr)

yeah i guess the install and tuning cost one arm and one leg there.. and that was supposed to be the hook up price..
Old 11-08-2001, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HONDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: What would you do if you had to choose between these two stand alones??.......