Notices

what would happen if you sucked in some water with turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what would happen if you sucked in some water with turbo?

Some local guy just hydrolocked his ITR today. He had an AEM on there. Ive had mine for ages and everything is fine.you just have to be cautious sometimes. Now i was thinking. If you have turbo(and have your filter down low for cooler air..i know some people do) and you happen to suck some water in...ehehe this makes me laugh. I dont know why. Now, Cause the turbine is spinning at an incredible rate, would you screw your turbo up???? or coudl the turbo actually work with the water and actually make the water into a fine mist and you have yourself nature provided water injection???????? ahahahahahahahahahahahaha.sorry.
Cause I remeber my old air humidifier kinda worked like that. The water got sucked up into this kinda fan thing and it vapourized the water and shot it into the room. Could the turbo in a way , do this?
Just a retard thought I had for a minute.

[Modified by SiRkid, 5:57 PM 7/19/2002]

[Modified by SiRkid, 5:58 PM 7/19/2002]
Old 07-19-2002, 09:02 AM

Default Re: what would happen if you sucked in some water with turbo? (SiRkid)

I'd say the turbine blades would shatter if that happened. They're already thin, and if its spinning say even at 20k, and all of a sudden water gets in the stream, there's no possible way that the blades are going to slow down to accomodate the water, or at least be able to survive the shock of the water.

But then again I could be wrong
Old 07-19-2002, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what would happen if you sucked in some water with turbo? (SiRkid)

i think the turbin would make the water into a mist then the heat would just evportate it remeber that it is damn hot inside that thing.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:10 AM

Default Re: what would happen if you sucked in some water with turbo? (aemcivic_02917)

well there's only one way to find out...do we have any voulenteers?
Old 07-19-2002, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what would happen if you sucked in some water with turbo? (aemcivic_02917)

I also think the turbo would be hurt by this, the blades MIGHT NOT shatter but something bad would happen. When the turbo is sucking air it takes less to pull it through, but water would take more to pull it into the turbo. This would cause the turbine to slow down suddenly, putting stress on some of the parts. Its kind of like putting you hand over the back of you hair dryer, you can hear it slow down. Thats just what I think would happen, let me know if I am wrong.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what would happen if you sucked in some water with turbo? (genop)

The blades will CHIP. Trust me, I know
Old 07-19-2002, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what would happen if you sucked in some water with turbo? (BG Boost)

happend to me, sucked up water on a Rainy *** day. Blades had some knicks on them, not to bad. Car died, had water all in my pipes. Had to let the car sit. Pulled the piping off from the TB and then it started. Smoke came out for a while then went away. Damn water.
Old 07-19-2002, 11:00 AM

Default Re: what would happen if you sucked in some water with turbo? (synergy004)

How the hell do you people suck up water into your turbos???? That thing is mounted right in front of the engine, above the mud/water flaps, behind the radiators and fans.... unless you drive under LITERALLY 2 feet of water how do you gulp up water into your turbo like that?
Old 07-19-2002, 11:05 AM
New User

Default Re: what would happen if you sucked in some water with turbo? (shadowdawn)

I never understood why anyone hydrolocked motors. But I do enjoy the insurance settlements for them, I can buy a lot of things for the shop in the early summer months
Old 07-19-2002, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what would happen if you sucked in some water with turbo? (VaporTrail)

i dont get it either...i think you would have to go through a very deep puddle!
Old 07-19-2002, 01:40 PM

Default Re: what would happen if you sucked in some water with turbo? (genop)

water would take more to pull it into the turbo. This would cause the turbine to slow down suddenly
sure it takes more but think about how much air it is pulling in already just to keep up 5psi
Old 07-19-2002, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what would happen if you sucked in some water with turbo? (CovertFI)

I did this already and wrote a post about before....

I hit a 10 inch deep puddle at 50 mph with no filter doh

car was towed home. I took out spark plugs and turned the car over.

Pufsh pufsh...water shot out all cylinder holes. I took a vacuum cleaner and sucked out the remaining water from the cylinders then WD 40d cylinders.

Then I sucked out gross puddle water out of the vacuum lines.

I took off intercooler piping and intercooler and drained it all. I changed the oil and after a few cranks vroooommm.....got to love honda quality!

[Modified by SO3Burner, 12:56 AM 7/20/2002]