Notices

what to use for air filter for turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to use for air filter for turbo?

now that i have my turbo all on i been driving withno filter becasue nothing will fit. i can not even get rubber hose or coupling on the compressor inlet. the radiator fan is blocking the path and also the hydrolic line for my tranny is in the way too. the only thing that looks like will work is if i put some panty hose over the inlet and use a hose clamp to hold it on but im afraid to do this because the compressor might suck it in and mess thigns up any ideas?

i was thinking of going to home depot and getting some screen door mesh and clamping that down over the compressor inlet and then putting panyhose over the mesh to help filter out dirt and stuff.. is this a bad idea?
Old 08-26-2003, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what to use for air filter for turbo? (nextelbuddy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">now that i have my turbo all on i been driving withno filter becasue nothing will fit. i can not even get rubber hose or coupling on the compressor inlet. the radiator fan is blocking the path and also the hydrolic line for my tranny is in the way too. the only thing that looks like will work is if i put some panty hose over the inlet and use a hose clamp to hold it on but im afraid to do this because the compressor might suck it in and mess thigns up any ideas?

i was thinking of going to home depot and getting some screen door mesh and clamping that down over the compressor inlet and then putting panyhose over the mesh to help filter out dirt and stuff.. is this a bad idea?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The drag kit includes piping or elbows that connect to the compressor, then the intake goes on the other end... or you can use the mesh you described. That's what my buddy uses.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what to use for air filter for turbo? (TurboChrgd_Civic)

unfortunately my drag kit is used and came with nothing for the intake. i boght a new cone air filter but have no way to put any kind of piping or air duct osing or anything the are is too tight. i was wondering what are the bad effects of using mesh and then using panty hose over the mesh? also does anyone out there have any other bright ideas? i just dont want my compressor to get messed up and from dirt and rocks
Old 08-26-2003, 02:26 PM

How about this get a slimline fan $65 bux @ autozone, pepboys, then see if you have room to use the drag intake setup, or one similar. If not how about this you can get a 90 elbow silcone piece for $40 , then route the piping and filter away from fan. The elbow will save a few more inches over using a straight coupler
Old 08-26-2003, 02:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

use a sock... hanes owns k&n
Old 08-26-2003, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ambition)

The first two nights I took mine out I used a paint mask as a filter, it seemed to work pretty good and you could tell by looking at it they caught a lot of dirt. They have to be changed out pretty regularly.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beta13)

i cant even fit a 90 degree elbow in there i went and bought one and it wont fit. the hydro line for the tranny gets in the way and i dont want to bend that
Old 08-26-2003, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nextelbuddy)

i have the same problem, i just clamped a steel screen mesh on there... its okay for now, but i need to shave more of my block and get piping and a filter on there.. my turbo gets heat soaked too easily like this..
Old 08-26-2003, 06:00 PM

I thought the same thing with my Revhard kit but I was able to piece together 2 old intakes with 45 bends. I cut them where needed and put a mushroom filter on the end. I used 2 rubber coupling, on on the compressor and then crammed the 45 on there(Extremely close fit but does not rub the clutch line) and them a coupling for the other 45. make a S shape that routes through the radiator hoes.