Notices

what turbo to use on b16?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what turbo to use on b16?

Ok guys i have a stock b16 block
I want to know what size turbo to use that the boost will come in aggressive while not having too much lag.

I dont plan to run over 10psi on the motor
Old 01-04-2013, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what turbo to use on b16?

Good troll. Your post in conjunction with your username displays a great lack of intelligence.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by th3pwn3r
Good troll. Your post in conjunction with your username displays a great lack of intelligence.
BETTER TROLL. i asked a simple question so if you dont have a positive response to it you can kindly keep your comments to yourself as its not needed.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thugsbryan
Ok guys i have a stock b16 block
I want to know what size turbo to use that the boost will come in aggressive while not having too much lag.
What are your power goals? Do you plan to run the engine as-is or build it a little/a lot?

I dont plan to run over 10psi on the motor
This will be determined by your power goal. A boost number is simply the means to an end, and that end being your power goal.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mechanix619
What are your power goals? Do you plan to run the engine as-is or build it a little/a lot?

This will be determined by your power goal. A boost number is simply the means to an end, and that end being your power goal.

for now i am gonna run the engine as is,,and im looking about 280-320 if thats possible
Old 01-04-2013, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

for now i am gonna run the engine as is,,and im looking about 280-320 if thats possible
As long as the engine is in good health its entirely possible.

I run a Precision 5858, it was nice at around 300WHP and sits perfect at 420WHP. That turbo would be nice so you can have some wiggle room with your power goal. If you're dead set on not making more than 320WHP then a smaller turbo like the 4854 may be more appropriate but that turbo may be reaching its max flow rate at around 320WHP.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mechanix619
As long as the engine is in good health its entirely possible.

I run a Precision 5858, it was nice at around 300WHP and sits perfect at 420WHP. That turbo would be nice so you can have some wiggle room with your power goal. If you're dead set on not making more than 320WHP then a smaller turbo like the 4854 may be more appropriate but that turbo may be reaching its max flow rate at around 320WHP.
Oh I see,what would a equivalent size to the 5858 in a garrett brand turbo? I'm not to familiar with the precision sizes,and also what engine you run it on
Old 01-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

5858 would be between a gt30 and a gt35. If your wanting to stick to a garret go with one of the gt30's. Also if you get in touch with "theshodan" he builds custom turbos using garrett components. Is recommend a silver surfer from. Super responsive and 500+ capable.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i liked my b16 with a 35r
Old 01-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=thugsbryan;48292670]Ok guys i have a stock b16 block

I dont plan to run over 10psi on the motor[/QUOTE]

You can say that now, but when it comes to purchasing a turbo you MUST plan for the future unless you want to spend money twice. Now having had a stock b16a2 with everything else pretty much upgraded (Fuel/S300/traction bar/suspension/tuned) i would suggest you stick with a .35r or precision 5858 or something small... wont be laggy, will be really responsive and fun to drive
Old 01-04-2013, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd toss a 3076r with a .82 hotside on it.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh I see,,I want the boost to come in aggressive,,right now I have on a t3 t4 63back with a 60 front but it spools very easy so u don't feel that kick when the boost comes in,if you get what I mean,,I was told my front housing is too small,,so I want to change the turbo,so would a garrett t3 t4 be any better? I don't think I wanna go bigger than a 63 backhousing,,wat size back and front is on a GT35?
Old 01-05-2013, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am using a turbonetics 50trim on 8psi making 315whp. Is fairly quick. But like stated once you boost your going to want more. This is the position im i currently. I am gathering parts for a complete build right now. Im also running a peakboost manifold if your curious. My block and head are stock only running arp head studs and cometic hg.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:28 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Oh I see,,I want the boost to come in aggressive,,right now I have on a t3 t4 63back with a 60 front but it spools very easy so u don't feel that kick when the boost comes in,if you get what I mean,,I was told my front housing is too small,,so I want to change the turbo,so would a garrett t3 t4 be any better? I don't think I wanna go bigger than a 63 backhousing,,wat size back and front is on a GT35?
The housings don't mean a thing most of the time for a street setup, so what you were told was only HALF the truth. whether its a .60A/R compressor cover or .63A/R turbine housing, it doesn't say ANYTHING about the wheels inside of them. Having that "kick back in your seat" light-switch feeling actually makes your acceleration WORSE, not better, as you're too busy trying to fight the car to control it. (I've seen it a million times with guys that think they want that, have it for a few months, then wonder why the guy in the smaller turbocharger is out accelerating you while you're still thinking you're Marty McFly in the Delorean with the Flux Capacitor at full charge . )

Look. You need a better HP goal and use of the car with this B16, not just some random variances of turbos from 48lbs/min (50 tirm) to 61lbs/min (GT35). You need a budget, whether or not you want water lines, etc.

Now, if you Truly want "light-switch" power like that where maximum pressure isn't reached until about 4800rpms, look to something too big. Like a GT3540S journal bearing , GT35R ball bearing, Precision 6262, or Turbonetics GTK 500, or even a S362 Borg-warner.

You've got a lot of choices, but I bet my aunt in her old mint condition 91 Talon TSI with a stock turbo will out accelerate you for the first mile, while you're getting the "flux capacitor" effect on a turbo that's too big for such a small displacement.

Last edited by TheShodan; 01-05-2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^ very well said shodan
Old 01-05-2013, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a lot for that advice shodan,,thing is I don't want a turbo too big cause I don't want a lot of lag,,I would like that kick back feeling you speaking of though,,based on what you all are saying I'm thinking of a GT30 or a precision 5858 or something close to those,,I'm runnin a inline pro manifold as well
Old 01-05-2013, 04:52 PM
It's wU to the sOLdiEr!

lag is some what based on your tune and of course size of turbo. i would say i have little lag because my tuner lowered my vtec engagement and some other things. what you want is your motor to gradually create power and not have this sudden kick of power like a bipolar personality.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by justYncredible
lag is some what based on your tune and of course size of turbo. i would say i have little lag because my tuner lowered my vtec engagement and some other things. what you want is your motor to gradually create power and not have this sudden kick of power like a bipolar personality.
correct. When you're asking for that Huge kick in the pants at 5000rpms, you're in trouble. means the turbo is too large. You need something in the 53lbs/min - 60lbs/min range. This means GT3076R, Silver surfer, Precision 5858, or Turbonetics GTK450. That way you can still get your 300-400whp goal and still be able to get larger as things come along. With an Inline Pro setup, you'll be limited to using a 5 bolt 'ford style' turbine housing for your turbo options as that manifold is made to fit with that style turbine housing. Be prepared on some models to start grinding the webbing on the block to fit, such as the Precision and the GT3076R, as they are larger "E" sized covers that will require some adjustment. The turbonetics GTK can be purchased with a slightly smaller cover, and the surfer standard can fit without modifications to the engine block with that manifold.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
correct. When you're asking for that Huge kick in the pants at 5000rpms, you're in trouble. means the turbo is too large. You need something in the 53lbs/min - 60lbs/min range. This means GT3076R, Silver surfer, Precision 5858, or Turbonetics GTK450. That way you can still get your 300-400whp goal and still be able to get larger as things come along. With an Inline Pro setup, you'll be limited to using a 5 bolt 'ford style' turbine housing for your turbo options as that manifold is made to fit with that style turbine housing. Be prepared on some models to start grinding the webbing on the block to fit, such as the Precision and the GT3076R, as they are larger "E" sized covers that will require some adjustment. The turbonetics GTK can be purchased with a slightly smaller cover, and the surfer standard can fit without modifications to the engine block with that manifold.
Ok tanks a lot for the advice,,my car is already boosted but I just don't like how the turbo spools,,it jus feels like a car dat came from factory wit a small turbo,,not like a modified street car,,I am not familiar with the "silver surfer"turbo through,never heard of if,,I will google it,,so I think I'm gonna try get one of those size turbos u mentioned
Old 01-05-2013, 09:49 PM

Now this here:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/drew17ths-84mm-b16-dyno-results-experiences-kstuned-3115187/

Is truly an example of a b16 that has a LOT more power than would most here would utilize for torque and fun. BUT his purpose is different than what you're looking for. This is truly an example of "light switch" power. But remember, that's what he planned for because of his use on the drag strip.. so he expect that response to come in late. His purpose is for top end power, not midrange or anything else; light 'em up an see where it goes. So this is what I mean by looking at other setups like you're looking for and going from there. This person LIKES this type of power, while I know with a bit of accuracy, YOU won't.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now this here:
https://honda-tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3115187

Is truly an example of a b16 that has a LOT more power than would most here would utilize for torque and fun. BUT his purpose is different than what you're looking for. This is truly an example of "light switch" power. But remember, that's what he planned for because of his use on the drag strip.. so he expect that response to come in late. His purpose is for top end power, not midrange or anything else; light 'em up an see where it goes. So this is what I mean by looking at other setups like you're looking for and going from there. This person LIKES this type of power, while I know with a bit of accuracy, YOU won't.
This is a excellent build,,if I could afford it I would go a similar route but for now I can only afford to run my block stock,so I will ave to stay at 10psi or below,,I would prefer my car with a lot of torque and midrange than top end at the moment,,where I am there are not a lot of highways so to speak :-)
Old 01-06-2013, 07:36 AM

This is a excellent build,,if I could afford it I would go a similar route but for now I can only afford to run my block stock,so I will ave to stay at 10psi or below,,I would prefer my car with a lot of torque and midrange than top end at the moment,,where I am there are not a lot of highways so to speak :-)
That's fine, but you're missing the point. Its not just the build components that's making this power, its the purpose that he's using it for. You're falling for the classic "i'm only running 10psi of boost". 10psi on which turbo? 10psi on a GT40R is completely different than 10psi on a small T3/T04E 50 trim.

Look at the type of components for YOUR build. Not just cost, not just power, but what's used to make that power. Different components call for different power levels, not BOOST levels. you guys have to get out of this thinking of "PSI" so much and look more at the purpose of the car. I was showing an example of what you thought you wanted, and I was right, you DON'T want that, as much as you thought you did.

I think I'm done with helping to explain.. I hope this was at least insightful.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's fine, but you're missing the point. Its not just the build components that's making this power, its the purpose that he's using it for. You're falling for the classic "i'm only running 10psi of boost". 10psi on which turbo? 10psi on a GT40R is completely different than 10psi on a small T3/T04E 50 trim.

Look at the type of components for YOUR build. Not just cost, not just power, but what's used to make that power. Different components call for different power levels, not BOOST levels. you guys have to get out of this thinking of "PSI" so much and look more at the purpose of the car. I was showing an example of what you thought you wanted, and I was right, you DON'T want that, as much as you thought you did.

I think I'm done with helping to explain.. I hope this was at least insightful.
Ok I get you,,I appreciate your help and yes it was insightful,I'm going to try and source another turbo,,can u pm me prices for turbos you have and give me the specs of the silver surfer one,,thanks