Notices

What size turbo for my newly built GSR MOTOR.

Old 12-29-2010, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size turbo for my newly built GSR MOTOR.

Ok about a month ago i traded my Del Sol for a built GSR motor. Its built for turbo. I was looking for some input from you guys as to what size turbo would be best. I will be running my car at my drag strip and taking it on the streets once in awhile. Most of my friends are DSM freaks and and are running 35rs. i Was thinking around this size????????? I also have a complete Greddy 15G kit from my old D block. I plan on running a topmount manifold to show off my new turbo. so any suggestions?????

Motor specs

B18c1 (9.0:1 cp)
Mahle pistons
Eagle H beam rods
ACL bearing
ARP head studs
complete super tech valve train
skunk 2 intake manifold
Power sports port matched throttle body.
Has stock injectors but i have DSM 450 but am planning on buying bigger ones.
Moroso Oil pan
Stock cams. (would like some input on cams to)

Old 12-29-2010, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What size turbo for my newly built GSR MOTOR.

How much power do u wanna make.

I hear really good things about the precision 6262. Great turbo and makes a lot of power for around $800...
Old 12-29-2010, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It all depends on what kind of power you want to make and where you want want to make that power.

GSR cams are great cams for a turbo setup. I have friends that make a ton of power on stock cams, but if you want more, I would either go ITR of CTR cams for oem cams or Skunk2 Pro 1 cams for aftermarket.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ryguy2588
It all depends on what kind of power you want to make and where you want want to make that power.

GSR cams are great cams for a turbo setup. I have friends that make a ton of power on stock cams, but if you want more, I would either go ITR of CTR cams for oem cams or Skunk2 Pro 1 cams for aftermarket.

***GSR for cheap but great cams, they can take you to 500hp.

***ITR/CTR for a little more money but also a great cam choice that can do 500 but will yield more torque than GSR.

***Skunk Pro 1 obviously the most expensive out of the three and you will definitely need springs and retainers suited for the cam (I'm not sure if your valve train is adequate enough for the Skunk Pro 1's, need to make sure your spring pressure is stiff enough) and they will shorten the life of your valve train because of the larger profile. I wouldn't do them but it's your car.

Last edited by mechanix619; 12-29-2010 at 09:25 AM. Reason: edit
Old 12-29-2010, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

well is i was shooting for 400 but do you guys think i can make 500 with this motor?? and i was looking into the skunk 2 cam just didnt know which stage was better. and i will look into the 6262 thanks guys
Old 12-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 I just got an obx ram horn manifold from a 4g63 eclipse

I was wondering if that manifold would fit in my b18 ls motor?
Old 12-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: I just got an obx ram horn manifold from a 4g63 eclipse

Originally Posted by kuhwahh
I was wondering if that manifold would fit in my b18 ls motor?
the one in my pic?
Old 12-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh whoops no not the one in the pic. an obx ram horn manifold from a 4g63 eclipse. it doesnt have anything to do with that manifold up there. i just dont know how to use forums that well and i posted it on here on accident.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a 1994 eg hatch
Old 12-29-2010, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh whoops no not the one in the pic. an obx ram horn manifold from a 4g63 eclipse. it doesnt have anything to do with that manifold up there. i just dont know how to use forums that well and i posted it on here on accident.

Get a quality manifold. The OBX will crack.

http://www.speedfactoryracing.net/st...roduct=1650795
Old 12-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Gofastturnleft
well is i was shooting for 400 but do you guys think i can make 500 with this motor?? and i was looking into the skunk 2 cam just didnt know which stage was better. and i will look into the 6262 thanks guys
Are you running stock sleeves? The stock sleeves can hold a lot of power but most people feel safer with Benson, GE, or Darton sleeves.

You can make the power with GSR cams but ITR/CTR will add a bit more torque. If you want something a little more aggressive look into Blox cams, but that's just another $500 that could be spent elsewhere.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i got this one for free and its brand new. its also ac compatible which is what i need. i would love to get a better one but im low on money. i was wondering if it would fit.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i got this one for free and its brand new. its also ac compatible which is what i need. i would love to get a better one but im low on money. i was wondering if it would fit.
Not without a shoddy adapter plate hackjob. I wouldn't even try it. Gotta pay to play.

I know you're new, but please try to start your own threads instead of jacking someone elses to get your questions answered in a more respectable manner.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I re-read your post. I highly doubt that a manifold from an Eclipse will fit on a Honda engine. I know a way to find out though, try it.

Last edited by mechanix619; 12-29-2010 at 12:32 PM. Reason: edit
Old 12-29-2010, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

WOW!!!! I can't believe OBX charges $500 for a piece of **** manifold. Unbelievable.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mechanix619
WOW!!!! I can't believe OBX charges $500 for a piece of **** manifold. Unbelievable.
Yeah I was just awe-stuck at that myself.

Go-autoworks sells a quality ramhorn for $100 more and it comes with a lifetime warranty. WIN.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope stock sleeves. i was going to put a block guard in. it the only thing the guy i got if off of didnt do. He said he didnt do it cause it hinders the coolent flow. Is the restriction really that big of a problem?
Old 12-29-2010, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is this to big and is it worth the price????????????????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Preci...Q5fAccessories
Old 12-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nope stock sleeves. i was going to put a block guard in. it the only thing the guy i got if off of didnt do. He said he didnt do it cause it hinders the coolent flow. Is the restriction really that big of a problem?
Block guards suck because they are a band-aid, an afterthought. They aren't technically part of the sleeve casting. Aftermarket sleeves like GE have an integrated block guard which is actually a part of the sleeve casting which make them far superior.

Last edited by mechanix619; 12-29-2010 at 02:01 PM. Reason: edit
Old 12-29-2010, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is this to big and is it worth the price????????????????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Preci...Q5fAccessories
I wouldn't purchase a turbo from eBay even if it is a name brand, I don't trust eBay. Also, a journal bearing turbo would do the trick and they are a lot cheaper.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there really that much of a difference between the ball bearing and the journal? is it worth paying that much more. whats the typical hp gain over the journal bearing? I feel like if i buy a 6262 that i should just go all the way and get the ball bearing. thoughts?
Old 12-29-2010, 07:20 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

there's no power gain between the two bearing systems. yes, there is a big difference in price between any ball-bearing cartridge and its journal bearing equivalent. What is your budget to spend?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Is there really that much of a difference between the ball bearing and the journal? is it worth paying that much more. whats the typical hp gain over the journal bearing? I feel like if i buy a 6262 that i should just go all the way and get the ball bearing. thoughts?
Ball bearing turbos will spool faster and have a super smooth throttle response. Are they worth the extra cash? I'm not sure. I've never driven car with a bb turbo. I'd rather spend the money else where that's for sure.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by boosted94gsr
How much power do u wanna make.

I hear really good things about the precision 6262. Great turbo and makes a lot of power for around $800...
Ok about a month ago i traded my Del Sol for a built GSR motor. Its built for turbo. I was looking for some input from you guys as to what size turbo would be best. I will be running my car at my drag strip and taking it on the streets once in awhile. Most of my friends are DSM freaks and and are running 35rs. i Was thinking around this size????????? I also have a complete Greddy 15G kit from my old D block. I plan on running a topmount manifold to show off my new turbo. so any suggestions?????

Motor specs

B18c1 (9.0:1 cp)
Mahle pistons
Eagle H beam rods
ACL bearing
ARP head studs
complete super tech valve train
skunk 2 intake manifold
Power sports port matched throttle body.
Has stock injectors but i have DSM 450 but am planning on buying bigger ones.
Moroso Oil pan
Stock cams. (would like some input on cams to)

sorry, too lazy to put down all my motor specs....
I was putting out 563 hp on a mustang dyno with my old precision sc63 (T4) turbo. I decided to upgrade and this is what I added to my setup....
Victor X intake manifold, Skunk2 Pro 1 cams, injectors from RC 1200 down to T1 ID 1000, Top mount spoolin turbo mani, Precision S6262 billet non BB (T3), 3" charge pipe and 3 1/2" down pipe, 45mm turbosmart wg, and 50mm tial bov and I pulled an easy 620hp - 406tq. Easily can go more but Im only running a 255 walbro pump so I ran out of fuel. Dynoed and tuned by LDL Las Vegas.

When I pulled the 563hp I didn't have the skunk2 pro 1 cams and my charge pipe was only 2.5" and the down pipe was only 3". With the old T4 SC63 (w/shaft play) the power was on top end and with the T3 S6262 its all on low end. Spools a lot faster...overall it was good.

I would recommend the Precision S6262 billet wheel especially for the power you want. Either for street or track it would work the best. But also remember your setup and tuner will make a big difference to pull some power.
Good luck
Old 12-30-2010, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as far as my budget goes i could by the journal bearing 6262 but if i was to for to the ball bearing i would have to save for it. I think its more of me trying to be cool because my buddy has a ball bearing 30r and well i thought that was the the most boss pimp dope fly thing i ever seen. lol I think im going to go with the 6262 thanks alot guys.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What size turbo for my newly built GSR MOTOR.