Notices

what should I do/need to do to my GSR engine, so it safely handle more boost, etc.?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what should I do/need to do to my GSR engine, so it safely handle more boost, etc.?

I know this is a vague and kind of dumb question, but I think I want to take my GSR to the next level. My current setup is stock internals and head, etc. with a DRAG Gen 3 T3/'T4 turbo, Vortec FMU (using Hondata or Uberdata in spring), Deltagate wastegate at 7 psi (switching to Tial in spring), HKS BOV and intercooler. Also have an MSD 6AL ignition and cap, NGK plugs and wires, aftermarket fuel pump (don't remember brand) and I believe injectors are upgraded, but I could be wrong. Some of these things are questionable because I bought the car with the current setup. Engine has 80k miles on it. Anyway, I am contemplating the thought of building up my engine to handle more boost. I know that building a stronger engine doesn't mean that it won't blow up, that this still relies on tuning, but if it was properly tuned, at least I feel that I could safely up the boost. I am wondering exactly what should be done to the engine (I would have it sent out to a reputable shop most likely)? I was thinking of having it sleeved, heat-treated (not sure what this entails, but someone mentioned it), pistons, rods, valvetrain, etc.). I want my GSR to put out 400+hp without blowing the thing up and still being a daily driver. I don't really race, I just want more power for myself. Any comments/suggestions?
Thanks
Tim
PS - any recommendations on reputable shops, etc. would be great. And can anyone with a turbo GSR list your setup and about how much it cost?
Thanks again
Old 10-24-2004, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what should I do/need to do to my GSR engine, so it safely handle more boost, etc.? (CrazyModGSR

First thing i would recommended is getting the Hondata or Uberdata first. Then Build the bottom end, I think you will be fine with the stock sleeves, they are known to hold over 400whp. Maybe Piston and rod should do it for you, Some thing like Eagle H beam rod and CP or wesico 9 range compression. Building the motor cause a lot of money if you having the shop doing it, they will properly charged around 1200-1500 for installing the piston and rod alone with all the misc of course.
Old 10-24-2004, 10:26 AM

Default Re: what should I do/need to do to my GSR engine, so it safely handle more boost, etc.? (CrazyModGSR

Get some larger injectors (maybe 550cc) and uberdata, then up the boost and have your car tuned well. 7 psi on that motor with an FMU is weak. I wouldn't even worry about building the bottom end just yet. Since you don't even race your car building it for 400+ horsepower seems like a waste.