Notices

What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student?

I was planning to save up money throughout the summer so I could piece together my own turbo kit. What are the disadvantages that I might face when building or running a turbo? I dont have all the money in the world so I want to get it down right the first time. Basically my question is what are some of the problems you have faced after installing your own custom kit?
Old 05-08-2005, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student? (hondaracin24)

money is always an issue.... if this is your daily driver than dont go crazy on it... or buy you a 500 dollar beater for back up.....getting it tuned right is one of the most important thing
Old 05-08-2005, 06:49 AM

Default Re: What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student? (MrBui)

Definetly have a back up car man, i first boosted my integra when i was 16 and had problems with oil leaks and such it was down for a couple of weeks. But then the fun is pulling into the parking lot with a boosted car and everyone looking and being like wtf is that noise? Ha hope everything works out for ya
Old 05-08-2005, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student? (mademan2723)

having a back up car is a must. there is no way i would have a turbo car now, if i didnt have another car to beat around in.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student? (blackeg)

yah what they're saying. as you say your funding is limited, I'd try not to go overboard as well. keep the setup simple and cost effective. but make sure it's done right.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student? (M.A.R.C.)

patience is another thing. don't rush and do everything right so there won't be any problems at start up. if you don't have a back up car, what you can do is gather everything you need, and set aside a weekend to just put it on. make sure you have the appropiate tools.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Trial User

Default Re: What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student? (M.A.R.C.)

the best thing to do to set your self up for reliable kit, is to do just this, Read the crap out of these forums and don't assume anything. Ask a ton of questions (if you can't find your answer searching of course).

read the next part carefully

"The H-T noob motto"
Search, Read, and Repeat
Old 05-08-2005, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student? (Benjithx)

$money$ is the most important issue...im in college rite now and money is still a major issue
Old 05-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student? (Benjithx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Benjithx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the best thing to do to set your self up for reliable kit, is to do just this, Read the crap out of these forums and don't assume anything. Ask a ton of questions (if you can't find your answer searching of course).

read the next part carefully

"The H-T noob motto"
Search, Read, and Repeat
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think that is the number 1 thing to remember! If you have nice realiable parts and rush on the install and forget one thing, you could end up blowing it up. Take your time with it all, I took over a year gathering parts, learning how it worked, going over the install 109320392 times. *knock on wood* she has not failed me yet.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student? (cmGSR916)

yea I'm in the exact same situation, same car and everything. I'm trying to set aside about 4 grand to boost my car, for safe tuning and everything. Im not trying to post jack but do you guys think that I could do alot of the work myself on installing this turbo? (not welding or tuning or course) I haven't worked on my car all that much before, but I would like to save some money. Is this conceivable or should I take it to a good shop for my first time?
Old 05-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student? (dmurphy2k3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dmurphy2k3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea I'm in the exact same situation, same car and everything. I'm trying to set aside about 4 grand to boost my car, for safe tuning and everything. Im not trying to post jack but do you guys think that I could do alot of the work myself on installing this turbo? (not welding or tuning or course) I haven't worked on my car all that much before, but I would like to save some money. Is this conceivable or should I take it to a good shop for my first time?</TD></TR></TABLE>

do it yourself. great for experience and if you run into problems down the road you will know what you did wrong since you installed it yourself.

only work probably needed to be done at a shop (or if your friend has a welder) is having the oil pan welded.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student? (dmurphy2k3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dmurphy2k3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea I'm in the exact same situation, same car and everything. I'm trying to set aside about 4 grand to boost my car, for safe tuning and everything. Im not trying to post jack but do you guys think that I could do alot of the work myself on installing this turbo? (not welding or tuning or course) I haven't worked on my car all that much before, but I would like to save some money. Is this conceivable or should I take it to a good shop for my first time?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It really is easy stuff, just read around on things you think you might have problems with (i.e. injector install, oil pressure sending unit, etc). Just TAKE YOUR TIME during the install. When you feel that your starting to get irritated and angry, call it a day or take a couple hour break and get focused.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student? (eg6junkie)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg6junkie &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

only work probably needed to be done at a shop (or if your friend has a welder) is having the oil pan welded.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats when you have to cut a hole in the pan to run a line to the turbo right?
just making sure, im still a n00b in the world of FI
thanks
Old 05-08-2005, 04:48 PM

TAKE YOUR TIME AND INSPECT EVERYTHING 3 TIMES lol...i blew my first headgasket the first night i ever boosted my ls hatchback due to piecing a turbo kit together with a tial w/g with a 10lb spring...and running open downpipe with my car being slammed it hit my shift linkage and i blew the main fuse to the ecu it took me forever to get it right
Old 05-08-2005, 05:03 PM
mEr
Honda-Tech Member

you run an oil feed line from the oil pressure sending unit....to the turbo, and an oil return line from the turbo to the oil pan....
Old 05-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FRANK_WHITE)

I'm in high school and I run a boosted Ek. Just make sure you have a back-up ride to school. Turboed honda's usally have alot of downtime. And do your research to find out witch parts work the best with your setup.
So far my my biggest problems have been my oil return leaking constantly and my clutch slipping. But those are easily fixed. I also blew a headgasket due to the vacum line sliping off the wastgate and the boost going to 20Psi. Take you'r time and do it right
Old 05-08-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student? (hondaracin24)

Turbo issues for high schoolers and college people.

Money, Beater car, and cops.

Being the envy of all importaholics at your school, priceless.

I am currently in the same process, but going to college. My advice is buy quality parts, purchase tools (DIY), and find a good tuner to tune the crap out of it, and be patient.

Good luck. The dark side is calling.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student? (ORcivicsi)

i got one for u.............DONT DONT DONT do what i did and still is doing
installing everything by yourself! Friend a Friend make a friend RENT A FRIEND!!!!

The old saying 2 heads are better than one is so damn true.......
Old 05-08-2005, 06:07 PM

yea man, you shoudl be able to do it, i have faith in you, the simple fact that you posted a question about it here is proof you can do it, just keep reading up and ask about anything you cant find by searching, and if you run into any problems . . . theres like 54577534657 people on these forums to help you out, im in the process of boosting my eg, it takes time but its fun, you'll get to know your car very well, and like hondaSI88 said, get somone to work by your side, its always good to have a second opinion and somone to help check your **** for you. Good luck man, hope you coem back with a success story
Old 05-08-2005, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Just Drank A 5th of VODKA Dare me to drive, Ca, u.s.
Default Re: (Dual_Phart_cans)

all i can remember is how tough it was to maintain at the time...even after you buy the kit it will still suck money out of you...good luck though...h-t will be a HUGE help
Old 05-08-2005, 06:20 PM

Default Re: (Mr. LoSt)

thanks alot guys, since ive been in FI ive been real impressed with the people here, just alot more helpful than any of the other ones, and also alot less n00b bashing
Old 05-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student? (Civicman86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Civicman86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It really is easy stuff, just read around on things you think you might have problems with (i.e. injector install, oil pressure sending unit, etc). Just TAKE YOUR TIME during the install. When you feel that your starting to get irritated and angry, call it a day or take a couple hour break and get focused.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is excellent advice. i also like to call it a day at around 2 am when i cant see straight anymore .

in all honesty, its pretty much just bolting **** on. if you can bolt up a cold air intake and change your header, you can pretty much do the turbo install.

having a friend to help is crucial. even if they dont have much car knowledge, having them to turn the wrench, get you tools and keep you company is important
Old 05-09-2005, 06:26 AM

Default Re: What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student? (blackeg)

I put a greddy kit on my y8 when i was 17 last year and i was a junior in HS...biggest piece of advice that most have said is to save up your money untill you are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN you have enough money to buy a kit and also have some extra money for all the other necessary parts to make it run right...i was a 17 year old idiot and blew all my money on parts of a used greddy kit...i didnt have a boost controller, intercooler, or any ems...it had oil leaks and **** for about 2 weeks but then i used my incoming money to buy small parts to make it run ok on low boost, although it still was running super lean with no fuel management...but basically i blew the motor by redlining second at night when i couldnt see my boost gauge and it ran up to around 12 psi without intercooler...compression blew out of my dipstick and sent oil everywhere and fried the rings and a hole in my piston...it was fun while i had it runnin ok on low boost and it was awesome rollin into the school parking lot blowing off...just dont be an idiot like me and do it right...
Old 05-09-2005, 06:38 AM
Trial User

Default Re: What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student? (CivicEX96)

taking your time is the most important thing. even after you install the kit money will still be getting sucked from your wallet. but if you take your time and install it right, not as much will be taken from the wallet. i put my first turbo kit on like 2 years ago in my friends garage. i always had a few friends helping me/hanging out with me. only thing that was done wrong was the oil feed was tight enough and oil leaked all over his driveway, nobody noticed untll my friend fell on his elbow/hip/shoulder and was like WTF IS THAT!? we started it up at 2AM in the dark that is about the only thing i would have changed if i was going to do it again ( which i am in a few days mwahahah ) but i had my GSR boosted on 5 lb's for quite some time, and driving back and forth from NY to NC put a bit of milage on the car. just as long as you do things slowly and correctly im sure you wont have any issues, i know i didnt good luck and post up your SUCCESS story b/c i have a good feeling about this one
Old 05-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are the risks for building a turbo for a HS student? (SSBPGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SSBPGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> just as long as you do things slowly and correctly im sure you wont have any issues, i know i didnt good luck and post up your SUCCESS story b/c i have a good feeling about this one </TD></TR></TABLE>