Notices

what is the purpose of the spring in Tial BOVs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is the purpose of the spring in Tial BOVs?

i was just curious as to what is the purpose of the tial bov having springs? what are the remifications if you have the wrong sized spring for your application as in pulling 19inches of vacuum but you get a 9 psi spring.

is it all in relation to off boost? or would having the wrong spring for the incorrect vacuum reading cause issues during boost?

thanx in advance
Old 01-02-2007, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: what is the purpose of the spring in Tial BOVs? (Nextelbuddy)

the purpose of the wastegate spring is to hold the wastegate closed so the turbo will spool up faster till it hits the desired rating of the spring (psi) once the exhaust gasses exceed the pressure the spring is set for, it forces the wastegate to open slowly to bypass exhaust gasses so they do not go into the turbo and make it generate more boost.

The spring is what regulates the lowest psi setting that the turbo will generate. In your example, 9 psi will be the lowest amount of boost the turbo will generate.

It does not have anything to do with vacuum. Vacuum is sort of related to the health of your engine. If you have bad ring seal, you will have low vacuum.

I would suggest using the RED SEARCH button in the upper right hand corner of this forum. It will answer all of your noobie questions. Don't forget to click "archives" if you don't find anyting in the recent threads.

Old 01-02-2007, 06:41 AM

Default Re: what is the purpose of the spring in Tial BOVs? (mike1114)

He said BOV, not wastegate.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is the purpose of the spring in Tial BOVs? (High0ctane)

and he has no clue what the hell he's talking about cause a BOV doesn't have any lbs spring.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:52 AM
* B A N N E D *

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and he has no clue what the hell he's talking about cause a BOV doesn't have any lbs spring.</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow, you fucktard....the tial's sure do

i believe there is a 7 and 9lb???? someone correct me..cause i can't remember.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haha... self ownage.

It's okay though, most BOVs don't have springs that you can change out like the Tial, so it's an easy mistake to make.

Tial BOVs are the bomb ****!
Old 01-02-2007, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: what is the purpose of the spring in Tial BOVs? (rota92)

yeah that pdf shows the spring pressures and has a quick listing of which pressure to use fo your application.

i think what the OP was asking (even if he did a poor job getting the point across) is since he has 19 mm/hg at idle he should use the 11lbs spring, so will there be a problem using a 9lbs spring? the only problem i can see using too light a spring is that the BOV may stay slightly open at idle. i dont think it will really hurt performance.

also too heavy of a spring may cause compressor surge, and too light make open early and leak boost.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cause a BOV doesn't have any lbs spring.</TD></TR></TABLE>

obviously now you know the tials do. but generally bov's do have a spring inside of them, thats how they keep the valve closed and thats why they are adjustable.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and he has no clue what the hell he's talking about cause a BOV doesn't have any lbs spring.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow you need to save that attitude for a thread where you're actually correct. Maybe you should be the one searching?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is the purpose of the spring in Tial BOVs? (dpetro1)

[QUOTE=dpetro1]yeah that pdf shows the spring pressures and has a quick listing of which pressure to use fo your application.

i think what the OP was asking (even if he did a poor job getting the point across) is since he has 19 mm/hg at idle he should use the 11lbs spring, so will there be a problem using a 9lbs spring? the only problem i can see using too light a spring is that the BOV may stay slightly open at idle. i dont think it will really hurt performance.

so with the right spring the bov should be close at idle?? or open??

Old 01-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is the purpose of the spring in Tial BOVs? (eg:R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg:R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">[QUOTE=dpetro1]

so with the right spring the bov should be close at idle?? or open??</TD></TR></TABLE>

In my experience Tial BOVs are slightly open at idle. But as soon as you tap the throttle it shuts, so it won't hurt performance at all.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the purpose of the wastegate spring is to hold the wastegate closed so the turbo will spool up faster till it hits the desired rating of the spring (psi) once the exhaust gasses exceed the pressure the spring is set for, it forces the wastegate to open slowly to bypass exhaust gasses so they do not go into the turbo and make it generate more boost.

The spring is what regulates the lowest psi setting that the turbo will generate. In your example, 9 psi will be the lowest amount of boost the turbo will generate.

It does not have anything to do with vacuum. Vacuum is sort of related to the health of your engine. If you have bad ring seal, you will have low vacuum.

I would suggest using the RED SEARCH button in the upper right hand corner of this forum. It will answer all of your noobie questions. Don't forget to click "archives" if you don't find anyting in the recent threads.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

HAHA funniest **** ever.

From what I understand if you have to heavy of a spring and not running that much boost you may get compressor surge. But I could be wrong.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is the purpose of the spring in Tial BOVs? (underpressure02)

wow guys...didn't think it was THAT funny, so I was sorta wrong. I can find countless threads that everyone of you have said something not quite right.

On no, I missed that a tial BOV has a certain pound spring in it, big fuking deal.

quite crying babies, just let it go. Where is the <U>tech </U>in your gay *** posts?

At least what I wrote is correct about a wastegate.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is the purpose of the spring in Tial BOVs? (Nextelbuddy)

It really deals with the amount of vacuum needed to keep the valve open more so then the amount of boost needed to keep it closed. Its so cars with little vacuum can still hold open the valve when necessary. Many aftermarket BOV's have adjustment screws to take care of this. Tial does not so you have to swap out springs. One more reason to go against the bandwagon

ANY BOV should be completely OPEN at idle. If not, adjust accordingly.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:21 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow guys...didn't think it was THAT funny, so I was sorta wrong. I can find countless threads that everyone of you have said something not quite right.

On no, I missed that a tial BOV has a certain pound spring in it, big fuking deal.

quite crying babies, just let it go. Where is the <U>tech </U>in your gay *** posts?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You jumped the original poster's **** and told him to search and called him a NOOBIE when you as a SEASONED H-T'er should know one of the forum rules is DON'T TELL PEOPLE TO SEARCH and the info you have him was completely irellavant of what he was asking. It sounded like you were trying to be an *** to him BUT it backfired. Unfortunately the problem with this forum and about any other forum is noone wants to help anymore BUT just SLAM DUNK someone and humiliate them these days. It sucks

Read the Forum Rules at the top here https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/878169

"SEARCH?
Learn to do a search. Many times you can find the answers to redundant questions by just searching. A LOT has been covered. This doesnt mean you need to tell everyone to search if they post up something that has been covered.

DO NOT TELL PEOPLE TO SEARCH. If you think the thread doesnt belong, report it to a mod and we'll deal with it. Remember, there's a ton of archived information, but technology changes as do specific situations. There is often not a definitive answer for many questions in this sport.
"

Plus everyone knows Honda Tech's search function is prolly the worst out there, as much as I LOVE Honda Tech the search function is less than helpful and desitable most times

Tial BOVs do have springs in them and are determined by idle vacuum.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow guys...didn't think it was THAT funny, so I was sorta wrong. I can find countless threads that everyone of you have said something not quite right.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow someone is a little cranky.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: what is the purpose of the spring in Tial BOVs? (underpressure02)

no slack here
Old 01-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default YAAYYYY BOOBIE BOOSTFED!!!!

who the next mo fo im bout to SLAM DUNK you foool!!!!