Notices

What are people in PA doing for this new Emissions testing in PA?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are people in PA doing for this new Emissions testing in PA?

Since I have not seen anyone post this up I was wondering what are people with turbo cars planning on doing to pass the test. From what i know so far if you do not have obd 2 they only do a visual inspection but being that I have no cat and my wastegate vent into the atmosphere I think I will have a problem passing. I could get a cat but then still I would need to get a header and take my whole turbo setup off. Just wondering how people are going to get past this. Also the cost is 50 for the test then another 20 for inspection what a rip off if you ask me.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are people in PA doing for this new Emissions testing in PA? (underpressure02)

I have a beater and my R so I put less than 5k a year on each car = emissions exempt. It also helps to know people
Old 01-26-2004, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are people in PA doing for this new Emissions testing in PA? (DC2R714)

with the emissions exempt I heard that they still do a visual on your car. The exempt sticker is 30 bucks to each year which is also a dam rip off.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:16 AM

Default Re: What are people in PA doing for this new Emissions testing in PA? (underpressure02)

Chad...I can probably hook you up if you need it.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are people in PA doing for this new Emissions testing in PA? (TrymsGSR)

heres an idea chad, give me your hunk o junk hatch, and ill drive it down here in florida

then you dont have to worry about emissions and you can drive your s4 around instead.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What are people in PA doing for this new Emissions testing in PA? (Mase)

yea you have to pass once before you can get the exemption. i just got a fresh sticker on mine so i got another year to cruise by and think about how to get past it if i keep it . my friend runs a shop though we were gonna try to see if it will pass with the obd1 stuff. he said as long as it doesnt throw a code he thinks it will be fine . he wont do a visual on my car.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are people in PA doing for this new Emissions testing in PA? (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">heres an idea chad, give me your hunk o junk hatch, and ill drive it down here in florida

then you dont have to worry about emissions and you can drive your s4 around instead. </TD></TR></TABLE>

My hunk o junk hatch is sleeping in the heated garage until the snow melts. Then it will come out and play.
Old 04-13-2004, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okays guys need your help. I am trying to get my 1982 s-10 that I have a 350 V-8 in it emissioned. I was under the impression that I could just get an exempt sticker b/c I drive it like 10 miles a year and have not driven it for the past two years. So I went to my "friend" to get it emissioned and he tells me he thought he could just get me exempt but I have to pass the first time before I can get exempt stickers.

Does anyone know if this is true?
Also what about cars with swapped engines how does that work? I am going to see if I can register it as a street rod to get around it. Any help would be great.

Thanks
Old 04-13-2004, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Same prob here. i was told i have to pass the 1st time to get the exempt sticker from there on .
Old 04-13-2004, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What are people in PA doing for this new Emissions testing in PA? (itr206)

Get a P.O box in Monroe county. Have your car registered there to that P.O box. Monroe county is emissions exempt. I have several of my cars registered like this with no issues.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:01 AM

Default Re: What are people in PA doing for this new Emissions testing in PA? (boosted hybrid)

The emissions test in PA is a big joke......My brother in law owns a garage in Bellefonte Pa and i have watched him do numerous emissions tests, and well i was like is that it? he said yes....its dumb....They type your year, make, and model into the computer and then it gives a list of the emissions equipment you should have on your car, cat, pcv, egr, etc etc....Then he goes out and looks to see if each is there, if they are you pass the visual....Next he takes your gas cap off your car and screws it onto this tester that is hooked to the computer and then he hits a button and it sees if your gas cap leaks...If it does you have to buy a new one then you pass the emissions...They dont care what you have on the car performance wise, as long as you have a cat or something that looks like a cat, your pcv valve system and whatever else hondas have your set...NO PROBLEMS. i have a turbo'd honda and im not wiorried cause the emissions test is duuumb its not like cali....Huntingdon County is exempt too
Old 04-13-2004, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are people in PA doing for this new Emissions testing in PA? (TravSi)

i was told they hook into your computer for testing after they do the visual.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are people in PA doing for this new Emissions testing in PA? (itr206)

They can only hook into your computer if you are obd2.

Okay here is some more info I found out maybe helpful to you guys.

If you car is old enough such as my truck and you can register it as a classic you do not need emissions and you do not have to pay to renew your registration every year it is once and done.

I also spoke with a few places that do emission testing and they said if they can read my milage on my inspection sticker and it is less then 5000 miles they will give me an exempt sticker.

Going to get my truck registered as a classic.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Okays guys need your help. I am trying to get my 1982 s-10 that I have a 350 V-8 in it emissioned. I was under the impression that I could just get an exempt sticker b/c I drive it like 10 miles a year and have not driven it for the past two years. So I went to my "friend" to get it emissioned and he tells me he thought he could just get me exempt but I have to pass the first time before I can get exempt stickers.

Does anyone know if this is true?
Also what about cars with swapped engines how does that work? I am going to see if I can register it as a street rod to get around it. Any help would be great.

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

are you serious? a 1982 s10 lol... how many cars do ya got? damn kids..

TrymsGSR
..i need a sticker.. LOL im out of inspection..and uhhh... welll..

Old 04-13-2004, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are people in PA doing for this new Emissions testing in PA? (Dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

are you serious? a 1982 s10 lol... how many cars do ya got? damn kids..

TrymsGSR
..i need a sticker.. LOL im out of inspection..and uhhh... welll..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Dave if your car passes I need to know who passed it for you.

And I got a few cars.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Going to get my truck registered as a classic. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Speaking of classics

Why dont you post pics of the great green goober
Old 04-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I pass and My car doesn't even go to get inspected.

June
Old 04-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are people in PA doing for this new Emissions testing in PA? (june)

I got a friend who is doing my car just so he can drive it
Old 04-13-2004, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Speaking of classics

Why dont you post pics of the great green goober </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you talking about this one?????

Old 04-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are people in PA doing for this new Emissions testing in PA? (Dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how many cars do ya got? damn kids..
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Chad has more cars than Jay Leno
Old 04-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

just go any privately owned philly shop.
they usually don't care
Old 04-13-2004, 02:19 PM
Banned

Default Re: (igo4bmx)

my car is registered in pa, but i am in ohio for the time being. i havent got it inspected since i've had it. so i just try not to take that car to pa
Old 04-13-2004, 02:49 PM

It seems like a bitch to pass a modified car for all your guys that live in the east.

Out here in the middle of the desert, you could run open downpipe. all you have to do is put on a stock exhaust on (disconnected) and all they do is put the sniffer in and run the test. You get back perfect results . The emmisions people are so ******* stupid out here.

We get away with anything out here in Alb, NM

Jon
Old 04-13-2004, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What are people in PA doing for this new Emissions testing in PA? (shadow103rd)

Anybody in the philly area that has problems with inspections pm me. They are strictly legit..

June
Old 04-13-2004, 04:56 PM

Default Re: What are people in PA doing for this new Emissions testing in PA? (june)

im also under the "driven less that 5000 mile a year exemption" (cough extra gauge cluster cough). i just heard the other day that pa was looking to get rid of the exempt status all together, but i still gotta check into that.if they do im just gonna try to register my car as a collector vehicial.as far as the emmissions being a joke you are right,from what i heard they are only doing this new obd2 test because pa was supposed to get centrailized emmissions where the state tested your car at one of their stations rather than your local garage, but pa backed out and they were sued by the company that was supposed to run it so for them to get some money back from the suit(sp?) they started this second test.

Quick Reply: What are people in PA doing for this new Emissions testing in PA?