Notices

what mani lets turbo HANG? EF bay is cramped. have pic, need help

Old 08-24-2007, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what mani lets turbo HANG? EF bay is cramped. have pic, need help

see how this turbo is sticking way too far out?

it won't allow my downpipe & radiator to coexist.

so i need a manifold that positions the turbo more "down" instead of "out".

don't want to shave the block webbing necessarily, but it has to sit closer to the block for everything to fit properly.

B-series block & t3/t4 turbo in a '91 civic with HCP mounts (that already position the motor further forward than hasport mounts, for instance.)

i need opinions on what manifold will fit my needs. thanks h-t

oh, and i believe the downpipe is from AFI, but a matching manifold will be like $800 and i don't have that kind of fetti
Old 08-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what mani lets turbo HANG? EF bay is cramped. have pic, need help (mahatma)

not to be a dick, but why don't you mount the turbo 180 degrees around?
Old 08-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what mani lets turbo HANG? EF bay is cramped. have pic, need help (JaredKaragen)

i ran a peakboost ramhorn with my b-series crx, had no clearance problems at all.
Old 08-24-2007, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its cause your turbo is placed on the wrong side
Old 08-24-2007, 05:21 PM

Default Re: (ALLMOTA92EG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ALLMOTA92EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its cause your turbo is placed on the wrong side </TD></TR></TABLE>
OIC...

well the downpipe faces that way. i guess i could cut it in half and have it re-welded to work in the other direction...?

does placing the turbo that direction interfere with airflow?
Old 08-24-2007, 05:29 PM

Default Re: (ALLMOTA92EG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ALLMOTA92EG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its cause your turbo is placed on the wrong side </TD></TR></TABLE>

I bet you if you flip that turbo...it will not bolt up. You'll think you can cut webbing, but as soon as you do...you'll see there still will no be enough room and your intake will be smashed against the tranny.

I ran into the same issue two years back. The problem is that your mani is designed for a T3 Exhaust housing, but not a T4 Compressor.

At the time, I didn't have the funds to just order another mani...so I did the next best thing and made it work. The Radiator was always the problem after that and had to be angled. It was ghetto at the time...but did work well once finished..

If you can...stop and order a new Mani
Old 08-24-2007, 05:59 PM

Default Re: what mani lets turbo HANG? EF bay is cramped. have pic, need help (mahatma)

mahatma your turbo does not look that big. Unless you have an S compressor housing you ain't got nothing to worry about. Just a little bit of trimming will make everything fit. Keep your many unless you got the extra $$ to waste.

Even if you have a B16, with an E housing all you need to do is a littl bit of trimming. Many people have done it and it will fit.

Now XSIintegra have you bolted the turbo and manifold in 1 complete piece with all the bolts tight to see if it fit instead of just holding it in place? It makes a big difference so just wondering.

Anyhow check this thread out https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1263795
Old 08-24-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Re: (XSIintegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XSIintegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I bet you if you flip that turbo...it will not bolt up. You'll think you can cut webbing, but as soon as you do...you'll see there still will no be enough room and your intake will be smashed against the tranny.

I ran into the same issue two years back. The problem is that your mani is designed for a T3 Exhaust housing, but not a T4 Compressor.

If you can...stop and order a new Mani</TD></TR></TABLE>

wrong. its cuz you have a <FONT SIZE="6"> 4 bolt turbine housing</FONT> and the manifold is built to run a <FONT SIZE="6"> 5-bolt turbine housing </FONT>
Old 08-24-2007, 06:07 PM

Default Re: what mani lets turbo HANG? EF bay is cramped. have pic, need help (CRX T-Si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX T-Si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now XSIintegra have you bolted the turbo and manifold in 1 complete piece with all the bolts tight to see if it fit instead of just holding it in place?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Check the second pic down. Thats the actually a picture of the two flanges pressed right together. There is no way these would have ever worked.
I did a lot of research at the time..and it was a well known problem with older style T3 Manifolds...
Old 08-24-2007, 06:11 PM

Default Re: (project dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by project dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wrong. its cuz you have a <FONT SIZE="6"> 4 bolt turbine housing</FONT> and the manifold is built to run a <FONT SIZE="6"> 5-bolt turbine housing </FONT></TD></TR></TABLE>

Wow...simply wow.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XSIintegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I ran into the same issue two years back. The problem is that your mani is designed for a T3 Exhaust housing, but not a T4 Compressor.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'll correct it just a bit for ya then...
Most T3 are built for the 4 bolt housing. You'll find a lot of older mani's using the 5bolt housing configuration...Either way...works out the same...without the big font or flair...ty
Old 08-24-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Re: (XSIintegra)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by XSIintegra &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow...simply wow.

I'll correct it just a bit for ya then...
Most T3 are built for the 4 bolt housing. You'll find a lot of older mani's using the 5bolt housing configuration...Either way...works out the same...without the big font or flair...ty</TD></TR></TABLE>

hahah its just big cuz i see a lot of misused information and also customers asking me for downpipes and they get mad that they wasted money on a manifold that wont fit cuz they jsut though itll fit all t3t4 manifolds
Old 08-24-2007, 08:56 PM

Default Re: (project dc2)

I don't think his downpipe would made it past the front crossmember anyway.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbob16b)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbob16b &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think his downpipe would made it past the front crossmember anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>
your right about that...just noticed he has an aftermarket x-member. Looks like it will still be a tight fit

Modified by red_crx at 9:28 AM 8/25/2007
Old 08-25-2007, 06:02 AM

if you check oput my site. http://www.oscarmayer.net
you will see my setup is running a t3 housing turbo and a very simular manifold (mine's a drag not an ebay knock off) i have my turbo on the other direction and it works awesome!
Old 08-25-2007, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (red_crx)

To make a long story short, that manifold (copy of revhard, iirc) was made for:

An Integra with much more space AND a t3/t04<U>B</U> fliped 180*, as they have a much smaller compressor housing and fit fine between the b18 block and integra radiator.

You are now confining it into a cramped EF body with a very thick radiator. Your solution is to flip it around & make a new DP, or cut & weld the radiator to narrow it enough (and you could run the turbo either direction). Since you have the jimfab xmember, I'd go with the flip/new DP instead.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:47 AM

Default Re: (HiProfile)

thanks for all the help so far. i checked out the links posted, and it's nice to know i'm not the only one who's run into this...

another problem you may see in the pic, the dumptube would collide with the charge pipe if i left things as-is. just not meant to be.

i'm going to try and flip the turbo around, see if it bolts up/clears the block OK.

i really wanted the keep the exhaust & compressor where they were since:
1) i could keep my downpipe
2) i've already fabbed the charge piping to fit the compressor as it sits now

bahh

oh and good eye recognizing the jimfab. it definitely doesn't allow much clearance compared to today's traction bars. but it's great at controlling wheelhop.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mahatma)

You might want to try looking into an InlinePro manifold. It does hang the turbo a bit more "in". I had no problems with my InlinePro manifold and GT4088R.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:32 AM

Default Re: (Redline130)

Dang come to thing of it people, InlinePro was the only Cast manifold that I saw before that made 2 different manifolds.

This one is for the 4 bolt turbine housings. Notice the Ninja star look on the wastegate connection.

and this one is the one for the standard 5-bolt turbine housings.

Right now you have 3 options
1. Change the Manifold
2. Change the Turbine Housing
3. Leave it the way you have it with it sticking out and make a DP to fit.

I would suggest #2 for that is much cheaper but that is just my 0.02 cents.

Well hope this helps.