Notices

what is it that makes people give up on their FI car???

Old 04-27-2003, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is it that makes people give up on their FI car???

hey guys...i am about to boost my TEG but when i started hanging around the FI boards i noticed one big theme...

so many people seem to stop doing it because of "too much trouble"..."too much money always fixing things"...

what exactly is it that takes people out and what can you do to make sure your turbo civic or integra doesnt become a money pit???

after much research and questioning i decided and was told my best bet was to join the turbo crowd for the whole power/money ratio...but i would like to know what it is that breaks people and what i can do to avoid it...thanks for any and all help...
Old 04-27-2003, 08:55 PM
New User

Default Re: what is it that makes people give up on their FI car??? (tmekjian)

When you stay up all night to get your car running right, drive an hour to the track without any sleep, and then break on your first pass you will want to take a BFH to your car. Or when you drop a ton of money into go fast parts and then realize that you have a warped rotor or some other basic maintenance thing to get done before you can go try out your new parts. That's a bitch too.

Personally, I don't mind breaking as long as I know what is wrong. If my car is messed up and I don't know why, then I get pissed.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:02 PM

Default Re: what is it that makes people give up on their FI car??? (laughinxxx)

is there one, or a couple things that are notorious for needing constant fixing/replacing with a turbo setup???

like i said, i really want to go turbo...but i also want it reliable like a factory turbo car (if there is such thing, ha ha)
Old 04-27-2003, 09:03 PM

Default Re: what is it that makes people give up on their FI car??? (laughinxxx)

if you do it right the first time you won't have any worries. You have to do normal ****, just more often. Everyday i check the oil, radiator reserve, vacume lines. I monitor the car to be sure nothings wrong. watch the oil pressure, water temp. its not a pain at all.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:17 PM

nothing breaks on a regular basis. It's the random **** that sets me off.

You'll have less reliability issuse if you follow a K.I.S.S. mentality.

keep it simple stupid.

learn everything you can about what it takes to turbo a honda reliably.

here are a few points that I would highlight.

management- Search this, it's the most important component in you entire setup

Engine limits-know what power you can make safely, don't push your stock components. they WILL make nasty power but you have to realize that cast pistons WILL crack ringlands in a turbo application at some point.

tuning-before you even bolt your kit on have a dyno day appointment.

maintenance- after the previous points are taken care of all you need to worry about is changing you oil & checking plugs on a Regimented basis.

don't be a afraid to spend money where you need to & if you are good to your turbo honda it will be good to you for years to come.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahhhhhh the joys of owning a shitty sohc unloved motor. $200 for 60k longblocks.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats the answer to 99 out of 100 questions?

Money
Old 04-27-2003, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tmekjian &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so many people seem to stop doing it because of "too much trouble"..."too much money always fixing things"...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

for me? none of those. I need to pay off some educational bills. Education comes way before my car ... unfortunately. tuition and books and **** are a bitch in CA.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is it that makes people give up on their FI car??? (Accord94DX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ahhhhhh the joys of owning a shitty sohc unloved motor</TD></TR></TABLE>

My thoughts exactly!
Old 04-27-2003, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is it that makes people give up on their FI car??? (EggEX2000)

Yup, money is a big one.

If you budget for the turbo stuff alone, you'll be in for a big surprise and a whole lot of depression.

I got REALLY down at one point with my Jetta, and back then it was almost stock. We VW guys have a lot of trouble with our trannies, they blow up all the time, even with 180-200 hp ...

The problem is that we run out of patience. When you know what has to be done to complete the project and you're sure it's going to get going, you start to get excited near the end and any little bug that pops up get's you extremely angry, then you lose it and start breaking ish, 'cause you've been up for 14 hours working on your stupid car, and you still don't even know if it's going to work ...

It's frustrating, but if you TAKE YOUR TIME, don't expect too much and let things happen, you'll be okay. Working with crap parts sucks too, so spending a little more on parts will save a lot of frustration down the road.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:56 PM

Blood in Blood out for me! I will never sell my civic, thats a promise!
Old 04-27-2003, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is it that makes people give up on their FI car??? (Daniel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Daniel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">for me? none of those. I need to pay off some educational bills. Education comes way before my car ... unfortunately. tuition and books and **** are a bitch in CA. </TD></TR></TABLE>

God I wish I had your mentality ... I'm so dumb when it comes to this stuff, I got suspended from work 'cause I didn't come in and I was in the middle of working on my car and I forgot to call in. (Work evenings) Not smart, considering I need the job to pay off the loan I took to finance the project.
Old 04-27-2003, 09:59 PM

Default Re: what is it that makes people give up on their FI car??? (Agtronic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Agtronic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Not smart, considering I need the job to pay off the loan I took to finance the project. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats one thing i could never do, get a loan to fix up my car. thats just digging yourself deeper in a hole
Old 04-27-2003, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is it that makes people give up on their FI car??? (Agtronic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Agtronic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

God I wish I had your mentality ... </TD></TR></TABLE>

well, it wasn't an easy choice for me. took about two months of thinking and then i finally said, "Yep, it's the right thing to do."
Old 04-27-2003, 10:25 PM

Default Re: what is it that makes people give up on their FI car??? (Daniel)

alot of people done have a 2nd car to drive. There is no way i would still have my car turbo if i didn't have a 93 nissan sitting outside.

Chad
Old 04-27-2003, 10:43 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The main reason is money and the other is people set goals that they cannot achieve or goals that are strait up impossible.

You can be very happy and have a great FI car if u keep it simple. that is until the bug bites u and u have to be faster, After that its no longer affordable or simple anymore.

Set realistic goals and don't expect too much out of the car. Do things right and you will be very happy.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:29 PM

Default Re: what is it that makes people give up on their FI car??? (IRepD)

guy sed it up higher.

knowing whats wrong with your car thats fine u know what to fix. but dicking around with sensors and ECU codes and ****.. that just cooks my noodle.
Old 04-27-2003, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is it that makes people give up on their FI car??? (TurboDANDEE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboDANDEE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thats one thing i could never do, get a loan to fix up my car. thats just digging yourself deeper in a hole </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah. Big nono. Don't spend money you don't have.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:21 AM

Default Re: what is it that makes people give up on their FI car??? (Accord94DX)

1. Like everyone else said, money issues.

2. The fear of getting your car stolen. BOVs and intercoolers just scream: "Follow me home and steal me!" It sucks knowing that you can't stray too far away from your car even for a few minutes. Plus the thought of all your hard work and money being stolen pisses you off even more.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:01 AM
New User

Well, for me its fixing things as the power goes up. I have to change my brakes way more often and my tires need rotating more often too. it sucks to come back from an autocross with flat=spot tires, but more power is harder to control.

What breaks? Everything normal. But more power puts more stress on the normal components, so they go quicker. A turbo does shorten your cars life.

Randy
Old 04-28-2003, 07:58 AM

Default Re: what is it that makes people give up on their FI car??? (RGAZ)

$$$..Don't think once u think u got everything u need you're be set. $$$ will continue to flow out ur pocket. Replacements, upgrades and more hunger for power....

Apart from the $$ side. I get so paranoid. After each drive, I have to pop under the hood making sure nuthin has fallen off/loose. U spend half the time lookin at gauges than driving..

Wit NA u can drive the ***** out of it and just leave it without worrying about what might happen to it. Still, having said that, FI is twice the fun!!! There is no going back... If need be, oem turbo will have to do to keep me
Old 04-28-2003, 08:17 AM

when you realize you could've spent just as much money on a supra...and run 12's all day...and be rollin around in a pimpass supra
Old 04-28-2003, 08:36 AM

My thought is of course what everyone is saying....money. My car has been under construction now for 3 weeks, I thought I had everything, and boom, something else that I need comes up. As for me ever getting out of it because of the money........NEVER!!
I think maybe the ones that completely give up their whole goal for any setup was never serious about it in the first place, the love was not there. A lot of people following the trends and never know what they want.
I also know that if you have an additional car, the hurry is not as great as having your primary mode of transportation out for weeks.
Old 04-28-2003, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is it that makes people give up on their FI car??? (fmaxturbochic)

I gave up my turbo car a week ago, and i already miss it...
Old 04-28-2003, 09:30 AM

stolen vehicle

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what is it that makes people give up on their FI car???