Notices

what makes bullet proof 600plus b series

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what makes bullet proof 600plus b series

i am going to have earl build short block for me and i don't want to accidently skimp somewhere that could really cost me if you know what i mean, any help would be great i am just trying to be extra cautious because of the price of this build will be like 4 to 5 times what i paid for my civic 4 years ago!!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 11:09 PM
i ♥ snails

Yeah he pretty much sumed it up. Most engines failures are due too poor assembly. Tolerances are important
Old 10-24-2006, 02:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what makes bullet proof 600plus b series (sloweredcivic)

You are on the right way if you let Earl build you block, he also build my engine.
I´m will also put 600+whp on it.
I have 100% confidance on his work.
Old 10-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i was just wondering if there was anthing else that gets overlooked and can cause failure
Old 10-24-2006, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (sloweredcivic)

Tuning I would spend all my time on tuning right now since the assembly part is already being taken care of by the best.Earl can pretty much answer all of your questions and he doesnt mind when you ask either he is a great guy
Old 10-24-2006, 04:20 PM
j dizzle

Default Re: (siblues)

bullet proof vest? good luck
Old 10-24-2006, 04:49 PM

Default Re: what makes bullet proof 600plus b series (sloweredcivic)

nothing makes anything 100% safe.

oil pump failure

shitty tuning

ect

there are many variables to a failure not just the main things you think of ie: bearings,sleeves,ect

its the little things you overlook oil pump,cooling the motor, oil temp,water temp ect
Old 10-24-2006, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

wich is why i started this thread this may be dumb but latley in parts magazines i have seen those electric water pumps but i never see anything on here about them are they worth a **** or is it only necessary on a all out drag car???
Old 10-24-2006, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those electric pumps nees lines ,fittings,brackets and all kinds of fab to make them work really well and on anything but a drag car its overkill the same as mechanical fuel pumps.I dont understand the whole topmount with ac and powersteering thing either but thats just me I guess
Old 10-24-2006, 08:31 PM

im neither ofr nor against the whole water pumps, however im with the other poster they need tooo much work to get them going right and i dont see anything with with regular water pumps

i would say it really depends on what type of sleeves you are going with i know the darton pro sleeves( which i dont tihnk they sell anymore) had alot of overheating and cooling problems)

closed deck blocks normally tend to other than open deck blocks (some people do some people dont have problems with that

cooling would definitly be on my list also what type of turbo kit are you going with i would make sure my stuff is up to par as far as if my motor is bullet proof i would want my turbo kit to be the same as well

you wouldnt want a GREAT MOTOR and a crappy turbo kit as im sure you have some good stuff
Old 10-24-2006, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have been talkig to bryson on here about a top mount set up just because its an ef although i am still unsure of turbo sizing still its all greek to me, i know a little bit but not alot my last setup had aa t3/t04e but i know that is way to small for my next setup and i know i want ball bearing because of how much more lag they have to compensate any suggestions feel free
Old 10-25-2006, 12:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bullet Proofing a motor is a big myth. What I mean is there are so many factors involved in making a motor last.

1. Proper tuning is what can make or break ANY motor. Even some "great" tuning, can have some flaws that can destroy a motor. It's hard to say even that a tune is 100% fool proof. Anything can happen.

2. Parts that match the type of abuse you are putting the motor through. Choosing the right combination of parts is what will hold it together. You dont get 'softer' All Motor valve spring rates in a high Hp big boost turbo setup. Thats why when you plan your build, you make sure that you are choosing the parts that will hold up to the power and abuse you plan on making the engine go through.

3. Bearing tolerances make a difference in how long the motor will last even at the best tune possible. Improper measurements can destroy/seize up a motor within minutes of starting it up. Precise measuring tools and a person that is experienced in using it to fit the application is one way of building a good engine.

4. Machining can also make a difference in tolerances and quality of the build. The quality of the machining determines the friction between the internal parts. Bad cylinder surfaces or unpolished cranks can cause premature damage to bearings and other parts. Also, precise machining makes a difference. We always do a final check on bore and hones before assembly. You want a consistent bore from top to bottom of the cylinders. You dont want different clearances for each cylinder.

There's so much more factors, so you cant really say you can Bullet Proof a motor. There is just too much things that can happen to prevent any damage to a motor. The only thing you can do is build it the right way, without sacrificing quality.