Notices

what is it like for all you turbo hondas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2004, 03:11 PM
ludetech

Default what is it like for all you turbo hondas?

I just have a few questions,

what is the power like on a fwd drivetrain?
does it put you in the seat?
what do other people say about it?
what do people say when you race and beat them?
what kinda expereinces have you had with it?
do you feel like it was a good thing to invest in? ( not with a money aspect but did it fullfill your need?)

anyone who answers these questions let me know what your running 1/4 mile or hp wise. Thanks
Old 06-25-2004, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what is it like for all you turbo hondas? (ludetech)

It was deff. worth it IMO
I'm onlying pushing 220 hp in a tank of a car, and it pushes me back in the seat
People that see turbo Hondas always seem to respect them. Most the time I hear, "Oh **** you got turbo??? That **** must be hella fast!" Even though its not...
I wouldn't say it's a good investment, because you're not going to make any money off it. But it deffinatly fun and I would do it again.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is it like for all you turbo hondas? (xPRELUDEx)

The power to weight ratio on hondas makes them seem very fast. A 350+hp honda will definently put you back in your seat. Espcially if it only weighs 2000 pounds.
Old 06-25-2004, 03:33 PM
ludetech

I have an 00 lude. Im expecting to run around 400 whp at track and just daily drivin at around 300whp. 7-9psi on sc61 built motor with 1fab manifold full 3" exhaust to 3" apexi turbo muffler
Old 06-25-2004, 03:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is it like for all you turbo hondas? (yimmy)

my one friend was running a dohc ZC turbo, junkyard setup, and when that spooled up that thing but you back in the seat like it was rwd. Never took it to the track though, too ghetto to pass any sort of tech inspection
Old 06-25-2004, 03:40 PM

Default Re: what is it like for all you turbo hondas? (ICeDoUt)

It's nothing like I had imagined. When the turbo comes to life (4500-5000), it's hold on time.
I think my whole perception of fast cars has changed.

This may give you an idea of what is possible:
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=905477
Old 06-25-2004, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is it like for all you turbo hondas? (rondigs)

in my opinion it gets good/decent traction at least from a moving start, so much so that its hard to notice that its a fwd every time.

way fun g-force puts you in your seat every time.

some say "incredible" "fast as ****" "scary fast" "amazing" "its like porsche twin turbo speed for a fraction of the cost" "I cant believe its a 4cyl"

others say "wtf!" "wtf do you have in there?!" and "I **** my pants, I need to go change them now"

to sum it up, its a blast to drive. Only down side is I wish I could slide out the back on a turn like in a rwd turbo silvia or actually get a decent launch like in a rwd.

its funny cause everyone thinks my car is "maxed out" when in fact theres alot more to come *evil grin* 500 hp here i come.

hp in sig.......1/4 not times yet, should be somewhere in the 12s

Modified by Turbo Chris at 8:05 PM 6/25/2004
Old 06-26-2004, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

- traction becomes interesting. you can make changes to help such as traction bars, different springs/struts, tires, LSD, stronger axels....but most of all improve your lauch techniques
- yes, boost has that surging feeling that becomes addictive.
- open minded people are suprized of the results, close minded people still think it is just a honda
- depends on who you are racing......see above
- becomes a more maintainence needed car, but the payoff is worth it.
do you feel like it was a good thing to invest in? ( not with a money aspect but did it fullfill your need?)
- sure why not, there are plenty of other things that I could do with my time that are less productive.

Boosting a Honda is fun, alot of work.....but you will learn alot about engine systems once your done. Got for it
Old 06-26-2004, 08:39 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ludetech &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just have a few questions,

Like most have said its difficult to launch and first gear is merely spinning, but once it hooks up then you know. A good suspension setup, traction bars, tires (drag radials), an LSD definately and some good driving is the key to everything. You could be handed to buy a stock 4 cylinder if you sit there and spin in 1st/2nd, but if you can handle it and you know how to drive you can put people to shame. A race from a roll is definately the cream
Yes, as you approach full boost you can feel yourself kind of pushing yourself back because you know its going to pull you back a bit. Its a crazy feeling to because at WOT with vtec kicking in and your externally wastegated and the cops from 3 miles away can hear you stomping on it. Im pushing 7.25psi on a stock b18c1 in my GSR that weighs 2,440lbs, with a sc34 and a custom kit around it. That puts me back in my seat, around 250whp give or take. It pulls
"Give me a ride", "Can you beat a ferrari", "How fast does it go?", "How much did that cost", "Take off so I can hear the Blow off Valve", "You should race my buddy, blah blah"
"What the hell is in that thing", "Are you spraying nos?", "They shake there head and just fall back and don't come back for a exchange of words", "They say it sounds awesome and give me thumbs up"
The buildup was fun as hell and I learned a lot. Definately found some great info on honda-tech and found all my deals/parts on here. I met a ton of people I would have never met. It gives me the best feeling everytime I step foot in my car, whats wrong with enjoying your car at all times! Its the best feeling to accomplish something and be proud of it.
It was worth every single penny invested. I'd do it over again 100 times.

anyone who answers these questions let me know what your running 1/4 mile or hp wise. Thanks </TD></TR></TABLE>
Ill know what Im pushing to the wheels next weekend when I hit the dyno. Right now I am street tuned on a wideband by Phiz , car pulls great and its very smooth. Running a consistent 12.5:1 afr, Im guessing around 250whp +/-....Its very addicting and im already tempted to crank up the boost. But this power is very good and will keep me tamed for the rest of the summer/fall. Until the winter when I build up the internals and run anywhere from 10-15psi.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is it like for all you turbo hondas? (patdemps)

good thread
Old 06-28-2004, 10:32 AM

Default Re: what is it like for all you turbo hondas? (patdemps)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by patdemps &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
"Take off so I can hear the Blow off Valve"</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hahhahahaha. Yea, I get that one a lot too.
Old 06-29-2004, 10:20 AM
ludetech

thanks alot guys for the posts. This makes me even more excited to be boosting