Notices

WHAT KIND OF MUFFLER TO USE FOR WASTEGATE DUMPTUBE? SEARCHED

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 11:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT KIND OF MUFFLER TO USE FOR WASTEGATE DUMPTUBE? SEARCHED

I just did a search for 1/2hr and never got a solid answer. I found out that open dumptube is very loud like open downpipe. I'm trying to stay away from loud exhaust as much as possible. I read that a lawnmower muffler was used and I seen in a MAG. before that a guy used a Yoshi BIKE pipe for his dumptube. I'm not trying to spend alot of $ and I read that merging it into the downpipe can cause loss of HP. They say 18"s is a good length to join. Is the open dumptube that loud? I heard a couple sound clips but never noticed it. If I ran a dumptube down towards the wheel would it still be RFL? I have searched everything I could name.

What's everyone do for this? And is open dumptube that bad?

Thanks to all that give me a good reply.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT KIND OF MUFFLER TO USE FOR WASTEGATE DUMPTUBE? SEARCHED (dan_w_82)

The small engine muffler works good to take the edge off the noise.If your not running a small exhaust system adding the waise gate to it will not hurt at all.As long as you add it downstreem (like you say around 18" or so) it won't slow down the turbine.
Glenn
Old 02-01-2005, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT KIND OF MUFFLER TO USE FOR WASTEGATE DUMPTUBE? SEARCHED (dan_w_82)

You do realize that it is only loud when the wastegate opens right? It sounds nothing like an open down pipe. It just sounds like a really loud obnoxious fart when wastegate opens. I think you are going a little nuts with a bike muffler if you think it is going to be that loud run it back into your downpipe. I highly doubt you are going to loose that much power. Do you think you will not loose any power putting a muffler on it?
Old 02-01-2005, 05:54 AM

On my car, the more boost I run the quiter the WG dump is.. 10+psi isnt really that loud.. and as underpressure02 said, it'll only open when your at or near full boost.

Old 02-01-2005, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: WHAT KIND OF MUFFLER TO USE FOR WASTEGATE DUMPTUBE? SEARCHED (underpressure02)

for real... mine's not loud at all - and I've got a short *** dump tube.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: WHAT KIND OF MUFFLER TO USE FOR WASTEGATE DUMPTUBE? SEARCHED (dennis)

i am just having my dump tube welded into my downpipe.........quite easy
Old 02-01-2005, 06:42 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not too loud.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT KIND OF MUFFLER TO USE FOR WASTEGATE DUMPTUBE? SEARCHED (Muckman)

Mine's not that loud...

I kind of like the sound of it... call me a ricer!

Like said before, you only hear it when you are at full boost, and at that time noise is the last thing on your mind...

I really wouldn't worry about how loud it is... you will get used to it, and if you don't It's not that hard to route it into your downpipe.

Oh, but to answer your question, if you really want to use a muffler of some sort, use a dirt bike muffler, they are about the right size and do a good job of controlling the noise...
Old 02-01-2005, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT KIND OF MUFFLER TO USE FOR WASTEGATE DUMPTUBE? SEARCHED (EJ1 wilcox)

The sound can be described as a lawnmower on crack sort of thing... at least for my drag mani since it only feeds of a runner or two.

I loved the sound at full throttle because it sounds so meen, but after a while it gets really really old. Trying to pull on the highway or whatnot or boost part throttle, the turbo would spool and the gate would open and make all this noise when I wasn't really on it all that hard. It also made it very obnoxious around town, and late at night in residential neigborhoods

I re-routed it into the downpipe and couldn't be happier with my decision.

Matt
Old 02-01-2005, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT KIND OF MUFFLER TO USE FOR WASTEGATE DUMPTUBE? SEARCHED (Johnyquest)

Thanks for the replys I was going to just use the dumptube for now and see how it sounds and then change it later but just wanted an idea on what everyone uses.

Thanks
Old 02-01-2005, 09:58 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dan_w_82 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the replys I was going to just use the dumptube for now and see how it sounds and then change it later but just wanted an idea on what everyone uses.

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was just gonna say that . Don't use a muffler on the dumptube though. I had my dump tube too long and it would always over boost by a couple PSI. As soon as i got it shorter it was fine. A muffler may really really overboost so watch out for that
Old 02-01-2005, 10:08 AM

Default Re: WHAT KIND OF MUFFLER TO USE FOR WASTEGATE DUMPTUBE? SEARCHED (adseguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I had my dump tube too long and it would always over boost by a couple PSI. As soon as i got it shorter it was fine. </TD></TR></TABLE>

so what was too long? I was thinking of making mine 14" long to make it to the bottom of the eng bay... would running a wider dia pipe also cure the overboost?

oh and to the guy who posted this thread... I say run open dump it's not like an open DP because thats loud all the time, dump tube is only loud when you get on it... you can tell people it's your VTEC kicking in
Old 02-01-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: WHAT KIND OF MUFFLER TO USE FOR WASTEGATE DUMPTUBE? SEARCHED (turbosi03)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbosi03 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so what was too long? I was thinking of making mine 14" long to make it to the bottom of the eng bay... would running a wider dia pipe also cure the overboost?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine was like 4 feet long! It's now about 3 feet.

Yes get the largest size piping you can. I used 1.5" flex tube piping from JC whitney.com

P.S. I love your car....sooooooooo sexy and clean.....I can't hate anything about it. Awesome work!
Old 02-01-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Re: WHAT KIND OF MUFFLER TO USE FOR WASTEGATE DUMPTUBE? SEARCHED (adseguy)

holy **** thats a long dump!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by adseguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

P.S. I love your car....sooooooooo sexy and clean.....I can't hate anything about it. Awesome work! </TD></TR></TABLE>

you talking about my car? if so, thanks man!

I'm trying... hopefully I'll start her up in two weeks

Old 02-01-2005, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT KIND OF MUFFLER TO USE FOR WASTEGATE DUMPTUBE? SEARCHED (turbosi03)

here's what I had on my car.... nice and quiet except when the cutout was open lol..

Old 02-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT KIND OF MUFFLER TO USE FOR WASTEGATE DUMPTUBE? SEARCHED (accordfreak)

Thanks again for the replys and the pics. Hopefully I'll have it up and running in a month.