Notices

WHAT I SHOULD DO<how reliable are high boosted turbo hondas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT I SHOULD DO<how reliable are high boosted turbo hondas?

im in the prosess right now of getting everything in the works to build a honda civic si that im sure will make way over 550whp,

i have the motor and turbo and everything to do it, with hondata and all,
im starting to wonder if its worth it,

im sure that the car will be ****** crazy fast, but how long will it last? i want it to be a daily driver. or at least a car i can drive everyday if i want to . i dont wana throw all the money into the car and then a month down the road the motor blows, i have seen almost EVERY honda that is boosted like this with a blown motor. i guess it seems that every car that gets boosted with alot of boost,. no matter how built the motor is, isnt gona last long.

i have the chance right now to sell all my stuff, and buy an evolution 8 or sti., or something else. i want to have the fastest honda but im worried about it blowing up.

i need some peoples opinions, and if anyone has a fast boosted honda let me know how reliable it has been for u.

thanks all.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT I SHOULD DO<how reliable are high boosted turbo hondas? (1fastcivicsi)

You got to pay to play. And I doubt you will ever have the fastest honda. remember there is somone that is always faster stronger smarter richer then you are.

You don't need to drive it around at high boost pressure all the time. You can drive it at 5 psi 10 psi or whatever you want to set your b/c at. Motors will last a good deal of time if
A they are built right
B they are tuned right
C if you take care of them and maintain them.

What is your setup that will get you well over 550HP? Have you ever driven a FWD car with that much power or with even 300HP? You don't need much more then 300HP to beat most cars on the street.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:26 AM

Default Re: WHAT I SHOULD DO<how reliable are high boosted turbo hondas? (underpressure02)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by underpressure02 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You got to pay to play. And I doubt you will ever have the fastest honda. remember there is somone that is always faster stronger smarter richer then you are.

You don't need to drive it around at high boost pressure all the time. You can drive it at 5 psi 10 psi or whatever you want to set your b/c at. Motors will last a good deal of time if
A they are built right
B they are tuned right
C if you take care of them and maintain them.

What is your setup that will get you well over 550HP? Have you ever driven a FWD car with that much power or with even 300HP? You don't need much more then 300HP to beat most cars on the street. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well said.... i'd like to know too

and if your so unsure about it then keep it stock
Old 08-19-2004, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT I SHOULD DO<how reliable are high boosted turbo hondas? (GS-Rdriven)

**** I only have about 250hp and you just walk all over most cars on the street. 550hp is too much for a daily driver i think, you can't even use all that power unless your on the highway... 550hp daily driver honda just isn't practical. If you want a fast daily driver, get a BMW M3, 330hp and is just as quick as my 250hp del sol, but without turbo lag, and it has all the cool features such as the sequential (paddle shift) 6 speed, killer stereo, and reliability. Personnally, when I get my real job and the money starts flowin, I will have a nice (BMW most likely) daily driver, and a project honda on the side for fun.
Old 08-19-2004, 09:40 AM

Default Re: WHAT I SHOULD DO<how reliable are high boosted turbo hondas? (GS-Rdriven)

well i bought a motor , JGracing dynamics 2.0l gsr built enough to handle the power

i have hondata instlled and obd1 computer, swapped from obd2
crane ignition, custom 60-1 turbo, 1000cc injectors, ect ect,
lsd is a must of course

the car was makin 290whp before, on 12 psi and diff motor. and regulat t3/t4 turbo,
i know that it will be hard to drive lol,
i cant say it will be the fastest, but probally will make the most power here in san antonio.

im just wondering if its wort the risk of it blowing up sometime in the near future lol. the motor was not cheap

Modified by 1fastcivicsi at 11:24 AM 8/19/2004
Old 08-19-2004, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: WHAT I SHOULD DO<how reliable are high boosted turbo hondas? (1fastcivicsi)

I wouldn't trust that JG engine at all. Do a search and you'll see the shitty work that place does and how many people have been ripped off. If you have the money, buy an STI!
Old 08-19-2004, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT I SHOULD DO<how reliable are high boosted turbo hondas? (B16A Grenade)

STI's aren't any better. Get that thing up to 550whp and see how expensive that becomes, except you already payed 30k for a car and need to add a lot on top of that.

BTW we are talking about power wise, there are plenty of features that an STI has that a boosted honda will never beat.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:26 AM

Default Re: WHAT I SHOULD DO<how reliable are high boosted turbo hondas? (m R g S r)

yes true that, but if i buy an evo or sti im not gona mod it, ill just keep it stock till the warrenty is gone

but i dont belive the honda is the way to go , unless its was gona be a RACE car
Old 08-19-2004, 10:42 AM

You don't daily drive a 550 WHP honda, because your 550 WHP car becomes a 400 WHP car or less on pump gas, unless you're a sucker who likes to pay 8 dollars a gallon to make 150 more unuseable WHP for the street. My hatch makes a solid 433 WHP on pump gas and spins 225/50/15 BFG drag radials like they're butter. Just be prepared to break a **** load of parts, and go through a shitload of tires.

Also, keep in mind that unless you're a ricer that likes to go WOT everywhere and show off, your 500 WHP turbo honda will drive like a stock car off boost, without putting any more wear and tear on the drivetrain.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

**** man, if you have the $$ get an STi for sure...

Especially if you don't want to be worrying about blowing up your engine...that's pretty much a fact with any 550hp Honda.
Old 08-19-2004, 10:44 AM

seriously 550whp on street? I dont see how that is streetable nontheless daily driven. With 550whp you must be running race fuel and those things dont come cheape per gallon. With 250whp-30whp thats what 8-9psi tuned on a GS-R roughly you can beat 97% of the cars in ANY CITY. If you don't believe me then ask all the boost guys out there. How many times a day do you see a boosted honda? Keep it at 10psi or so and get it tuned for up to 20psi and turn the boost up when that 3% of those cars come rolling around on the freeway.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:29 AM

Default Re: WHAT I SHOULD DO<how reliable are high boosted turbo hondas? (toolowsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by toolowsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">**** I only have about 250hp and you just walk all over most cars on the street. 550hp is too much for a daily driver i think, you can't even use all that power unless your on the highway... 550hp daily driver honda just isn't practical. If you want a fast daily driver, get a BMW M3, 330hp and is just as quick as my 250hp del sol, but without turbo lag, and it has all the cool features such as the sequential (paddle shift) 6 speed, killer stereo, and reliability. Personnally, when I get my real job and the money starts flowin, I will have a nice (BMW most likely) daily driver, and a project honda on the side for fun. </TD></TR></TABLE>

my thoughts exactly. id like to replace my pistons and rods and boost around 350 but right now at 290 i beat 95% of the cars out there. 330ci's are fast but in a few years i would love to have my black m3 and my project weekend honda turbo.
Old 08-19-2004, 11:34 AM

Default Re: (Ceres)

and you have to relize that 550whp is going to be with an enormous turbo and all your power is gonna come in high rpms. when people mess there motors up its generally in very high rpms so if u want a reliable, fast, daily driver why not just build it rock solid and use a moderat turbo and just not push it to redline every time. 300-400whp is ideal for the street, good clutch, good tires, good tuning and your set.build her right and with that power it will last a long time and u will crush any car out there even most supras. u have to keep in mind how light these cars are... anyways good luck and gitrdun
Old 08-19-2004, 01:00 PM

Default Re: (donkiman)

Okay let my drop my 02 pennies on this. I had 8 psi on my teg ls and on straight t3 turbo. I used to walk all over mustangs, cobras, i had it up against lt1 vette.....killed all of them. There was no traction in first and second gear. going 30 mph and flooring the pedal in second would just spin the tires and they were 215's good year gd1's. So making more than 300 whp on honda is just impractical on street. Of course you are planing on driving around with big old slicks.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (blown_LS)

haha have fun payin 5-8 bucks a gallon for race fuel to run 550 hp daily
Old 08-19-2004, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1fastcivicsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> i want to have the fastest honda but im worried about it blowing up..</TD></TR></TABLE>

do us a favor and buy a subaru.
Old 08-19-2004, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alot people in this thread seem to be saying that a Honda is not the way to go because you're going to break ****. That's because you want 550whp daily. How many other freakin cars do you see on the road pushing 550whp RELIABLY on the street?

I bet there are more Hondas than Suburus doing it.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:02 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: WHAT I SHOULD DO<how reliable are high boosted turbo hondas? (RyanCivic2000)

fantasy whp owns.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:22 PM

Default Re: WHAT I SHOULD DO<how reliable are high boosted turbo hondas? (RyanCivic2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alot people in this thread seem to be saying that a Honda is not the way to go because you're going to break ****. That's because you want 550whp daily. How many other freakin cars do you see on the road pushing 550whp RELIABLY on the street?

I bet there are more Hondas than Suburus doing it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

negative. an sti with a boost controller can hit 500
Old 08-19-2004, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT I SHOULD DO<how reliable are high boosted turbo hondas? (donkiman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by donkiman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

negative. an sti with a boost controller can hit 500</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't say an STI can't hit 500whp. I said there a probably more Hondas making that much power reliably on the street.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: WHAT I SHOULD DO<how reliable are high boosted turbo hondas? (donkiman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by donkiman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

funny. i havent seen one. all stock too huh
Old 08-19-2004, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I hope your joking.
Old 08-19-2004, 03:23 PM

You do not know Sti's that well, Although they are a awesome car and
like someone mentioned the car will do things a boosted honda never
will, they have there problems. My friends Sti only had 6000 miles on
it before 4th and 5th gear started to grind, tranny had to be torn out
and syncro's replaced. This is now a common problem amoung Sti
owners. Also people who have strapped on bigger turbo kits also
seem to have a fairley low power threshhold before the rods break.
My friend plans on building his Sti up in a year and he will be dropping
about as much as me and his car cost 14k more and was turbo charged from
the factory. It's a amazing car but it is not "easy" to have a 500whp sti or any
car for that matter.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am currently running 310 whp daily on low boost (15psi ) with a built b18c in a hatch. I have a quaife and a koni/h&r suspension set up, and i still have no traction in 1st/2nd and 3rd is borderline. As someone has said above, If you have never driven or been in a 300 WHP honda, try to find one. I doubt you or anyone really needs more...especially on the street. As for turning up the boost/race fuel, get ready to make sure you have a serious suspension/traction set up to get it to the ground! good luck!
Old 08-19-2004, 05:01 PM
New User

Default Re: WHAT I SHOULD DO<how reliable are high boosted turbo hondas? (markaria)

Why does everyone have such a hardon for the STI? I drove one, and while it doesn't handle as poorly as the WRX, it's still and understeering *****. IMO the EVO8 is such a better car overall. The STI seems watered down almost...

Honda's are cheap, light, and have so many options for making handling/power improvements... I love my hondas.

JMO of course. :D

Quick Reply: WHAT I SHOULD DO<how reliable are high boosted turbo hondas?