Notices

What head gasket to buy on boosted b18a on 8 psi?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What head gasket to buy on boosted b18a on 8 psi?

the stock head gasket is f**cked and i want the best head gasket to get for boost. im also getting eagle rods and je low compression pistons soon and turning up the boost but i cant figure out what or WHERE the best turbo low compression head gasket is. its got bigger injectors, tuned/chipped ecu, intake manifold, external wastegate, and turbonetics t3/t4 turbo...just need to know what the BEST head gasket is for boost AND WHERE TO BUY IT ive looked everywhere. am i right that a 2mm headgasket is low compression?
Old 12-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What head gasket to buy on boosted b18a on 8 psi?

OEM Honda or Cometic headgasket im putting down 479whp on a Cometic headgasket I have seen 800whp on oem headgasket. but make sure you resurface your head before you use either. good luck.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chriscool888
the stock head gasket is f**cked and i want the best head gasket to get for boost. im also getting eagle rods and je low compression pistons soon and turning up the boost but i cant figure out what or WHERE the best turbo low compression head gasket is. its got bigger injectors, tuned/chipped ecu, intake manifold, external wastegate, and turbonetics t3/t4 turbo...just need to know what the BEST head gasket is for boost AND WHERE TO BUY IT ive looked everywhere. am i right that a 2mm headgasket is low compression?
I see alot of bad decisions and wasted money in your future LOL

You dont need low compression pistons, its 2012 not 1980. You dont even need anything for a stock motor on 8 pounds of boost. Do your research before just buying parts.

And to answer your question stock gasket is all you need. If your current gasket is as you say F--ked then you have other issues you should straighten out before doing anything else
Old 12-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im running a felpro from advanced auto parts on 10psi with ARP headstuds and it works great. if i take it apart again id get an OEM but the felpro will do just fine
Old 12-15-2011, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thomass
im running a felpro from advanced auto parts on 10psi with ARP headstuds and it works great. if i take it apart again id get an OEM but the felpro will do just fine
Felpro is good too but most people give me weird looks when i tell them im running a felpro. LOL 400whp and not a darn problem
Old 12-15-2011, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha yeah felpro make great gaskets Im running one on my wifes built gsr and no issues! Just for piece of mind I went with cometec for my fully build H22 Turbo but at the same time I have heard bad things about cometec failing. But as long as you take all the precautions you need to ensure your headgasket gets a good seal you should be fine. just get the head resurfaced. If and when i have to replace the headgasket again I will go with OEM. I think you have all the Input you need to make your decision good luck
Old 12-15-2011, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
Felpro is good too but most people give me weird looks when i tell them im running a felpro. LOL 400whp and not a darn problem
yup, people are like " Whaaaat, you used an advanced auto parts head gasket"? i tell them yes, its worked great for V8 cars for many years so they gotta be doin somethin right.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

haha yeah they have been in the gasket game for years! even back when my dad was my age building his Chevy Nova
Old 12-15-2011, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by H22AFerio
haha yeah felpro make great gaskets Im running one on my wifes built gsr and no issues! Just for piece of mind I went with cometec for my fully build H22 Turbo but at the same time I have heard bad things about cometec failing. But as long as you take all the precautions you need to ensure your headgasket gets a good seal you should be fine. just get the head resurfaced. If and when i have to replace the headgasket again I will go with OEM. I think you have all the Input you need to make your decision good luck
your wife drives a built gsr? turbo? that is amazing and I'm jealous, my wife wont even drive in my car, i always have to drive her stock ek
Old 12-15-2011, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oem gasket.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we only use oem 813 hp 34 psi
Old 12-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oem 532hp
Old 12-15-2011, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn i thought so, so why the hell do they even sell aftermarket headgaskets lol if the oem ones are better...turbo-ls why the hell wouldnt you buy parts to upgrade your engine with pistons and rods if you have the chance that makes no sence and if u knew how to read you would have seen i am boosting it alot more once i get the rods and pistons. ive done tremendous amounts of research on everything i even think about buying. i only asked because i seen everyone saying oem when doing my RESEARCH and thought hmmmm why do oem head gaskets go out on stock engines, maybe theres a reason why they make aftermarket ones but that was just a couriosity...anyone know what the difference is between the buddy club head gaskets and oem??
Old 12-15-2011, 10:31 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

The aftermarket ones outside of OEM are used to change compression ratios to an engine that may need the change for a different purpose or in order to salvage a setup that may otherwise not be worth it.

Buddy Club, Toda Racing, and Mugen have thinner gaskets to raise compression. For your purposes don't use them.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thomass
not sure about every engine but fel pro is who makes the honda replacement head gasket for the b18c

next time you can get a felpro and honda gasket next to each other. the felpro is identical even down to the tab honda stamps the number
Old 12-15-2011, 10:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by racebum
not sure about every engine but fel pro is who makes the honda replacement head gasket for the b18c

next time you can get a felpro and honda gasket next to each other. the felpro is identical even down to the tab honda stamps the number
i'v noticed that there were identical just never put anytought into it
Old 12-16-2011, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just go with what works everytime...OEM. If felpro is identical and thats who makes honda gaskets then Those should be fine as well. Also Golden eagle are OEM gaskets, but i would only use those if youre overbored more then 81.5mm
Old 12-16-2011, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you've done a tremendous amount of research then why still go with a low compression piston setup? Do you want a laggy setup? you are fine with mid 9's and up to mid 10's compression on pump gas. 8:1 is a dog out of boost
Old 12-16-2011, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by olddohc
your wife drives a built gsr? turbo? that is amazing and I'm jealous, my wife wont even drive in my car, i always have to drive her stock ek
hahah no no no just built all motor gsr! I wish it was boosted!! im going crazy without my car i had to send out my turbo for a rebuild... but i found out today it was not my fault and precision is covering the whole cost!

Originally Posted by Turbo-LS
If you've done a tremendous amount of research then why still go with a low compression piston setup? Do you want a laggy setup? you are fine with mid 9's and up to mid 10's compression on pump gas. 8:1 is a dog out of boost
yes sir! there are many different aspects that could cause quicker spool or slower spool like cams, cylinder bore size, turbo manifold, turbine housing. but compression plays a big role! I have 2 buddys with very similar setups one has a boosted GSR running 8:1 ish compression paranoid cuz he is on stock sleeves and the other with an LSV with 9.5:1 compression also stock sleeves. both on stock cams. stock port gsr heads, both running a precision 6262 the LSV spools almost 1000rpm sooner than the GSR go figure?

Last edited by H22AFerio; 12-16-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock OEM or OEM replacement. I am using a FelPro B18B1 head gasket on my LSV soon to be boost. No issues so far with daily NA beating.
Old 12-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the slightly longer stroke of the LS crank will help with spool but 8:1 is terrible for spool. I know its not the only thing that plays a role but it does play a good portion of it
Old 12-16-2011, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by H22AFerio
hahah no no no just built all motor gsr! I wish it was boosted!! im going crazy without my car i had to send out my turbo for a rebuild... but i found out today it was not my fault and precision is covering the whole cost!

yes sir! there are many different aspects that could cause quicker spool or slower spool like cams, cylinder bore size, turbo manifold, turbine housing. but compression plays a big role! I have 2 buddys with very similar setups one has a boosted GSR running 8:1 ish compression paranoid cuz he is on stock sleeves and the other with an LSV with 9.5:1 compression also stock sleeves. both on stock cams. stock port gsr heads, both running a precision 6262 the LSV spools almost 1000rpm sooner than the GSR go figure?
that is sick, I finished my build had the car for a week and sucked up a rock, ffed my turbo, currently I have an ebay one and when I got that the outlet was too small for my DP so i had to get a new DP as well
Old 12-16-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum

Not from my experience, and I have plenty of people at the Honda warehouse just south of Dayton and they can attest to this fallacy. That Ohio warehous is one of two in the whole country that is used to supply every honda dealership in the nation.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yah i think 9.5:1 will be what im going with but what brand do u all thinks the best to go with for the pistons? havnt really researched rods except for Eagle...is there any other rods out there that can put up with the HP that eagle rods do but for less money lol? buying the rods next month..oh and kinda random but if anyone knows where to get a strut rod bushing for a 90 integra you should let me know i know there only like 25 bucks for aftermarket but im lookin for just one someones got sittin on a car or something and a dash gauge cluster for a 90 integra 5 speed