Notices

What happens when you have too much fuel?

Old 02-20-2002, 10:02 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What happens when you have too much fuel?

If you run a turbo with too much fuel, and you jam on the gas, will the car sort of stall out, or misfire. Also, how bad on an engine is this?
Old 02-20-2002, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What happens when you have too much fuel? (BlowOff)

dude, you wash the cylinders of oil, contaminate your oil, lower its lubricity causing excessive wear to parts, you screw your O2, you backfire, you explode your cat or blow your turbo if it ignites in there etc.......you misfire causing excessive strain on reciprocating parts, you polute the environment, take some pressure out already I hope you got the idea, ......and do an oil change.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:32 AM
New User

Default Re: What happens when you have too much fuel? (rtype11)

damn!

I'm going to get it dynoed as soon as the weather gets nice, but last year I got the turbo on the car, built bottom end (pistons, block, rings, rods), AEM fuel rail, RC 370cc injectors, B&M regulator, Holly FI fuel pump, Apex SAFC, AEM fuel filter, and the boost regulated fuel pressure riser. I only got on the car a little last year after breaking it in (turbo off the car) before the weather got bad, but it would run fine until I down shifted and got on it. It would go BA..BA...BAAAA....BAAAaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA !! (you get the point), and the A/F ratio guage was all the way green (I know it is not accurate). Now I'm only running 7PSI, but will go 12PSI when I dyno the car.

Here is another question. Will I be OK with just the SAFC or should I go Hondata to tune fuel? Thanks again
Old 02-20-2002, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Uhm you may be okay after reading your follow up, you want to be rich when you are on boost, I was under the impression your car is stalling out on fuel, and that you smell it everywhere etc...the autometer is junk, get on a dyno with wide band you want to pull 12's:1 A/f range, If you are like 10's at that boost then it is too much,...........get it tuned, you dont really need hondata with your setup for that boost level. I say this only because you have all the stuff already.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:24 PM
New User

Default Re: What happens when you have too much fuel? (rtype11)

Cool.

Yeah, the car runs great and real strong except when I am say in 4th gear at 35 MPH and I throw it into 2nd gear and stomp on it. That's when it studders and takes off. Oh yeah, and my friend said I shot flames out the tail pipe too!!! Wish I had it on video (don't worry about the cat either...there is a test pipe on it).

I also have an extra bung on my down pipe so I can run a dyno with a wide band. I just didn't get the time to go before the SNOW and SALT came. I can't wait for spring.

Thanks for the help. I am pretty sure it's my boost fuel pressure riser being at 10:1.....hey, will the 10:1 be good for 12 PSI, or should I go 12:1 since I'm running all the other fuel stuff? LATER.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

With 370cc injectors you're going to want to fun an 8:1 or 6:1 FMU disc.
Old 02-20-2002, 12:43 PM
New User

Default Re: What happens when you have too much fuel? (ben@importparts.com)

Crap! Even with the SAFC?