Notices

What engine to turbocharge for daily driven Street/Strip 96 Civic Hatch

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What engine to turbocharge for daily driven Street/Strip 96 Civic Hatch

Stupid question I know. Car will be daily driven and performance and price are the concern. Car will be full weight 96 hatch street/strip car.

I have a friend with a $300 f22 motor, and also a $2000 jdm b16a w/ lsd swap, or I could just boost the d16. All the motors will be boosted, so that's static, as well as the daily driven for both comfort (full interior, A/C stereo, ect), but also the occasional strip. I know the b series will be about 75 lbs heavier, and the f22 about 125 heavier and the h22 about 150 heavier, so weight penalty for performance gain should be considered.

Thanks in advice for my stupid question, but I just can't figure it out, i've been going back and forth on this for some time now.

Christ, I can't edit the polls, anyways, h22 swap would cost $3000 for a shipped and LSD tranny h22 from hmotors. B20 would cost $900 shipped plus the b16 swap would come to $2900. Not sure how much an h22 tranny would cost from a local guy, then another $950 for the quaife lsd. And the d16 is free cuz its in the car.
Old 04-19-2006, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What engine to turbocharge for daily driven Street/Strip 96 Civic Hatch (rice is nice)

go with what you like and can afford, and do it right. do buy a more expensive swpa and half *** the turbo kit and tune because well see you back here in a couple months asking us to tell you what you should do
Old 04-19-2006, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What engine to turbocharge for daily driven Street/Strip 96 Civic Hatch (tuck'd98)

Well I kinda want to just boost the d16, but if I were to buy a jdm b16a with lsd and shipped to my city, would cost me $850 more than this particular swap does. So from an economical standpoint, if I was going to go b series now would be the time to take advantage of the $850 savings, plus I can get this motor compression and leakdown tested before I buy it.

Maybe I've already talked myself into this route.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What engine to turbocharge for daily driven Street/Strip 96 Civic Hatch (rice is nice)

anybody else wanna contribute?
Old 04-20-2006, 05:44 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What costs less to blow up: A D16, or a B16? Which engine is easier to source a replacement for when you blow it up?
Old 04-20-2006, 05:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What engine to turbocharge for daily driven Street/Strip 96 Civic Hatch (Targa250R)

just boost what you got, i heard you could make up to 200-225 whp and be safe
Old 04-20-2006, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What engine to turbocharge for daily driven Street/Strip 96 Civic Hatch (djsire)

Yeah, but lots of people are boosting b series and not blowing them up. Some guys have gone years on boosting 12psi (irrelevant without knowing what turbo I know) on their b16 and not had any problems.

Or are you implying that whatever motor I go with I will get tired of the lower boost level and will want to crank it up, then i will adventually blow the motor?
Old 04-20-2006, 06:19 AM

eventually get tired of it, not exactly.
but everyone in the game wants to progress. so lets say, you want 250whp out of your stock d-series (easily attainable)... once you get the 250whp and have fun with it, what to do next? go faster/make more power.

it doesn't mean you'll blow your motor. hopefully by that time you'll have learned enough to keep it safe, and if more power means another motor/built motor then there you go.

goodluck
Old 04-20-2006, 06:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm, maybe i'll go with the b16, leave it stock for a bit, then boost it, that way i'll have some time for the progression path that you talked about, and that I know I will want to travel.

It'll take some time, but i'm tired of these dam DSM's in town badmouthing all the Hondas. Sure a b16 civic won't beat them, but a turbo b16 would beat all but 2 of them.

Lol, anyways, thanks guys for the help. Guess its more sole searching time.

One last question, nobody seemed to like the f22 or h22 route. Why is that? Because they're heavier? Or because you can make the same amount of power out of a b series, with more availability for aftermarket parts?
Old 04-20-2006, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rice is nice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hmmm, maybe i'll go with the b16, leave it stock for a bit, then boost it, that way i'll have some time for the progression path that you talked about, and that I know I will want to travel.

It'll take some time, but i'm tired of these dam DSM's in town badmouthing all the Hondas. Sure a b16 civic won't beat them, but a turbo b16 would beat all but 2 of them.

Lol, anyways, thanks guys for the help. Guess its more sole searching time.

One last question, nobody seemed to like the f22 or h22 route. Why is that? Because they're heavier? Or because you can make the same amount of power out of a b series, with more availability for aftermarket parts?</TD></TR></TABLE>

it weighs like 30 pounds more.... thats not even an inssue.... people just dont have respect for the power that a H series motor makes... go look in the hybrid forum and u will find out all about the H

it makes more horse power and torque then a b series and parts are just as easy to come by
Old 04-20-2006, 07:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What engine to turbocharge for daily driven Street/Strip 96 Civic Hatch (BALLIN H22 EK)

But is it as reliable? Thought it had thinner cyinder walls
Old 04-20-2006, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've been running a y7 for years now at 8 psi every single day.

It's held up great and when it finally does crap out, I'll just toss another in for like 100 bucks.

I have like 150 or 160k on it now.
Old 04-20-2006, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rice is nice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But is it as reliable? Thought it had thinner cyinder walls</TD></TR></TABLE>

i kno nothing about boosting the H lol a good sleeving of the block would help that tho just like on any other motor

my friend is runnin 10psi on his completely stock h22a
Old 04-20-2006, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What engine to turbocharge for daily driven Street/Strip 96 Civic Hatch (Ricey McRicerton)

True true, well I'll give this some more thought fellas. I have dreams of big built motor turbo power, so any mods I do to a b series now I could swap onto a built B in the future. And since building a motor up costs basically the same for a d and a b series, its smarter to buy a stock b from the get go.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rice is nice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">True true, well I'll give this some more thought fellas. I have dreams of big built motor turbo power, so any mods I do to a b series now I could swap onto a built B in the future. And since building a motor up costs basically the same for a d and a b series, its smarter to buy a stock b from the get go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats not true d series build will cost way less the a b series build... u can make 300 easily on a d series with forged rods and pistons on a STOCK BLOCK.. and a turbo kit for a d series cost around 1000 as for a b series will usually run you around 2000
Old 04-20-2006, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What engine to turbocharge for daily driven Street/Strip 96 Civic Hatch (BALLIN H22 EK)

But i'd be parting my own turbo kit together. So it would cost the same either way for the turbo kit. Though the d series comes with the car, and the b series i'd have to buy for $2000 and then tear it down to build it up. So I guess the b series sets you back about $2000, but has a higher hp potential, and makes power more easily.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:44 PM
be professional

Look, either you have the money to do an engine swap or you don't. I don't see why this is a difficult decision. If you have the money to do a swap, and you want to do a swap, then do a swap and turbocharge that. If you don't, then turbocharge the stock engine.
Old 04-20-2006, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What engine to turbocharge for daily driven Street/Strip 96 Civic Hatch (Targa250R)

Just cuz you have the money to do anything doesn't mean there aren't pros and cons to doing that act.

This isn't a light switch, off and on, there is fuzzy gray zone to a motor swap decision.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:02 PM
be professional

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rice is nice &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just cuz you have the money to do anything doesn't mean there aren't pros and cons to doing that act.

This isn't a light switch, off and on, there is fuzzy gray zone to a motor swap decision.</TD></TR></TABLE>
What's the fuzzy gray zone? The B swap makes more power, but requires more effort and expense. The stock D will make less power but at minimal effort and expense.
Old 04-20-2006, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Man I wish I lived in your decision making shoes. If this is a no question decision for you, then mad props to you
Old 04-20-2006, 03:13 PM

Answer me one question: How much money do you have/how much money are you willing to spend on the swap/possible boost? That will help narrow down some stuff.
Old 04-20-2006, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (professor poon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by professor poon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Answer me one question: How much money do you have/how much money are you willing to spend on the swap/possible boost? That will help narrow down some stuff.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so true if u only have like 3000 then rebuild the D and boost it

if u have like 4000+ then swap and turbo
Old 04-20-2006, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BALLIN H22 EK)

run what ya got. my good friend boosted his y8 at like 95K miles, and ran it to somewhere around 120K+ miles with a t3 and 12 psi daily 17 for the track. now it is in his 90 hatch and might be getting some n2o love
Old 04-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Slosc2)

I would 10000 times over swap an h22a and boost it.

If you can get the Type S euro spec h22a, it comes stock with 220hp. Regular h22a is 200 hp.

Either way thats already 40-80 more hp than a D or B series. Boost it and your easily at 270-290hp.

Cost more, but major gain from it.
Old 04-20-2006, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drumminforev)

And you can get an h22a for around 2700 full swap.

Quick Reply: What engine to turbocharge for daily driven Street/Strip 96 Civic Hatch