Notices

what do you think of this oil pressure sender mounting configuration?

Old 04-30-2006, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what do you think of this oil pressure sender mounting configuration?

I have the same sender.

Is this configuration going to give proper pressure readings?
Would you have to use a specific sized braided line to get the correct reading?

I want to mount my sender on the firewall since its so bulky. I have the GE sandwich which I plan to use for the turbo feed(the large port I assume), so Ill either be running a line from the other port on the GE adapter to the sender, or just run it from the stock block location. Im not positive, but it appears the smaller port on the GE plate, and the stock pressure location on the block have the same size thread (1/8 NPT?). If anyone can confirm I would appreciate it.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:01 PM

Default Re: what do you think of this oil pressure sender mounting configuration? (clip the apex)

Get one of the sandwiches on ebay. Those have 4 ports in them.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what do you think of this oil pressure sender mounting configuration? (Steve91)

I have heard of cracking issues with the plastic line, I replaced mine with stainless braided brake line and one adapter. Peace of mind

That looks as good as any place to me
Old 05-01-2006, 05:33 AM

I had mine mounted in the same location and occasionally got no readings after driving sometimes (gauge read 0 psi).

So I mounted it lower in the firewall and have had no problems since.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: what do you think of this oil pressure sender mounting configuration? (clip the apex)

That looks great. I zip-tied mine to my intake manifold, ran the oil line off of a hose barb on a Greddy sandwich plate using NAPA 90-PSI rated fuel line. Works great, looks ugly.
Old 05-01-2006, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what do you think of this oil pressure sender mounting configuration? (rmcdaniels)

LoL.

That's a picture of my car.

I was using a Fast-Turbo (not sure if they are still around) firewall kit that came with a block fitting which is NOT 1/8 NPT, it's BSPT something, I can't remember the exact size.

As far as oil pressure readings go. It did read a bit low, like 18 psi idle (warm), and about 80 psi at WOT.

The readings went up a bit when I plugged the oil feed so I could take it in for emissions. I think it read a few psi lower with the turbo feed because a bit of the pressure was bleeding off to the turbo.

Anyways, I didn't mind because the gauge would still tell me if I were to suddenly lose pressure, which was why I had it.

You could always do the sandwich adapter, but I got this setup for cheap and it worked great, plus I didn't have to get behind my block to get to it.

Oh, I never had it read zero, never. Mounting it high or low on the firewall should not affect the readings at all because the oil inside the lines is pressurized when the engine is running.

Old 05-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what do you think of this oil pressure sender mounting configuration? (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LoL.

I was using a Fast-Turbo (not sure if they are still around) firewall kit that came with a block fitting which is NOT 1/8 NPT, it's BSPT something, I can't remember the exact size.

As far as oil pressure readings go. It did read a bit low, like 18 psi idle (warm), and about 80 psi at WOT.

The readings went up a bit when I plugged the oil feed so I could take it in for emissions. I think it read a few psi lower with the turbo feed because a bit of the pressure was bleeding off to the turbo.

Anyways, I didn't mind because the gauge would still tell me if I were to suddenly lose pressure, which was why I had it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

im using the same kit and get results identical to you. i feel it reads a little low but it still shows the patterns im looking for. pressure builds on start up, the gauges flutuates with rpm, and i can even see the relief valve open, even though on my gauge i only get like 65psi at WOT.

mounting location should not affect readings. but like wilcox said i think the turbo bleeds a little pressure off. my sendor was in the same spot and i think when the turbo spools it pulls just a little bit of pessure of the sending unit. no big deal though.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

almost like mine

steathmode firewall kit
Old 05-01-2006, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what do you think of this oil pressure sender mounting configuration? (EJ1 wilcox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1 wilcox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LoL.

You could always do the sandwich adapter, but I got this setup for cheap and it worked great, plus I didn't have to get behind my block to get to it.

Oh, I never had it read zero, never. Mounting it high or low on the firewall should not affect the readings at all because the oil inside the lines is pressurized when the engine is running.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes I stole that pic from a thread of yours awhile back I think

anyway thanks for all the input. I was more worried about if different size lines affect the pressure readings or not because I dont know which ports Im going to use on the GE plate (large or small). Since Im using a ballbearing turbo, I know those dont need much oil, so I was probably going to use the small port for that. Then tap into the larger port for the oil pressure, but dont know if that port is too large, and dont want to have a thousand adapters to make it smaller. I would assume that the more lines you have tapped into the pressure line, you will lose some reading at the gauge but as long as its consistent then thats not so bad.

Since Im still waiting on my block and turbo setup to arrive, I havent had a chance to even mock up any test mounting or check fitting sizes because I dont know what/how everything is going to be run yet. I have a feeling all these fitting sizes and angles are going to drive me crazy.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats mine, works great.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have it setup the same way..

Line from block to firewall... Line to turbo from there, line to stock pressure gauge, line to aftermarket sender.

I lost a few psi with the turbo install, but it still works normally.