Notices

What do you recomend i buy to finish my turbo kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you recomend i buy to finish my turbo kit?

so far this is what i have:

turbonetics t3t4
turbonetics mark2 wastegate
rev hard turbo manifold
drag 3 intercooler piping
drag 3 spearco intercooler
hks ssqv
drag 3 downpipe
dumptube
hks turbo timer
cartech fmu

what else do i need to finish this up? i have a idea i just want other peoples advice to see if im forgetting anything

also i will have like 700-800 to finish up the turbo kit

things i was thinking of is:

oil line.
return line.
boost controller.
all gaskets and fittings.
boost gauge.
greddy oil adapter.
low psi wastegate spring.
inline fuel pump.
missing link.
vacuum manifold.

what else?
Old 06-01-2006, 07:55 AM

Default Re: What do you recomend i buy to finish my turbo kit? (b18sihatch)

Might need a vacuum manifold and some sort of fuel management.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:35 AM

Default Re: What do you recomend i buy to finish my turbo kit? (PhatBoy5015)

How much pressure you planning to run?
Anything over 7psi you need to:
ditch the FMU
get bigger injectors
and get some sort of EMS
Old 06-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you recomend i buy to finish my turbo kit? (dcturbols)

For the price you paid for the FMU (if it wsa new) you could have gotten a good set of DSM injectors, and the equipment to chip your ECU in order to run a real form of engine management.

I think that most people will recommend NOT going the FMU route.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you recomend i buy to finish my turbo kit? (VTteg)

Also, you might have trouble with boost creep using the rev hard mani combined with the deltagate.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:16 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also, you might have trouble with boost creep using the rev hard mani combined with the deltagate. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Whats wrong with a RevHard manifold?
Old 06-01-2006, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the wastegate placement sucks cause it is only two of the runners not at the collector region
Old 06-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you recomend i buy to finish my turbo kit? (Soccerking3000)

Although, revhard is miles above the drag manifolds, so you may be all set.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea it is better than the drag but still not ideal
Old 06-01-2006, 11:34 AM

So is an Inline Pro not good either?

Nevermind. I see the difference.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:10 PM

i only plan to run 5.5 lbs so a fmu would be reasonable and a inline fuel pump, it isnt going to max anything out, and as far as the rev hard wastegate placement, it is miles about the drag but yea i know what u mean
Old 06-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it will be much more reliable with a chipped ecu and not the fmu even at 5.5 pounds
Old 06-02-2006, 06:53 AM

well that is true, but i have the 88-91 ef with obd0 so i would have to

get a virgin p28 ecu-130.00
get the p28 chipped 100+
get obd0 to obd1 pigtails 100.00
inline or intank fuel pump 100.00

that could be expendsive i havent looked into chipping ecu but i will it does sound more relieable than fmu
Old 06-02-2006, 07:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you can chip obd0 ecu's you know that right

and chipping costs all of 25 bucks, pigtails are5 bucks a piece from rc
Old 06-02-2006, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18sihatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well that is true, but i have the 88-91 ef with obd0 so i would have to

get a virgin p28 ecu-130.00
get the p28 chipped 100+
get obd0 to obd1 pigtails 100.00
inline or intank fuel pump 100.00

that could be expendsive i havent looked into chipping ecu but i will it does sound more relieable than fmu</TD></TR></TABLE>

forget all that manthat would only be reliable if you got tuned by a "good "tuner,,with only 6psi you'll be fine with the fmu/inline pump setup....because even after all that chipping,this and that,you still have to find a good tuner,,people say oh yeah turboedit is free,crome is free,,blah,blah,,but its only the software thats free..after all the ****,,injectors,drop the tank and install the fuel pump,open up the ecu and chip it,blank,chips,,then you gotta find a tuner on top of it and hope he knows what the hell he's doing....you say to yourself "i did all this **** to run only 6psi?.."
Old 06-02-2006, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you recomend i buy to finish my turbo kit? (Mr.speaker)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.speaker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">forget all that manthat would only be reliable if you got tuned by a "good "tuner,,with only 6psi you'll be fine with the fmu/inline pump setup....because even after all that chipping,this and that,you still have to find a good tuner,,people say oh yeah turboedit is free,crome is free,,blah,blah,,but its only the software thats free..after all the ****,,injectors,drop the tank and install the fuel pump,open up the ecu and chip it,blank,chips,,then you gotta find a tuner on top of it and hope he knows what the hell he's doing....you say to yourself "i did all this **** to run only 6psi?.." </TD></TR></TABLE>

no offense but that is one of the most stupid things i have heard, injectors and an in-tank pump are easy to do and last time i checked you dont need to drop the tank to install it. Also i forgot how hard it is to open up the ecu, aka all 5 screws god forbid he has to do that. Tuning is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF TURBOING A CAR, plain and simple, it may just be 6 psi but if its shitty management it very well be 20 psi and your engine will pop...
Old 06-02-2006, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

no offense but that is one of the most stupid things i have heard, injectors and an in-tank pump are easy to do and last time i checked you dont need to drop the tank to install it. Also i forgot how hard it is to open up the ecu, aka all 5 screws god forbid he has to do that. Tuning is THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF TURBOING A CAR, plain and simple, it may just be 6 psi but if its shitty management it very well be 20 psi and your engine will pop...</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont know if you know about 88-91 civic/crx or 90-93 integra but you do have to drop the gas tank to change the fuel pump,,,its not like 92+ civic or 94+ integra where all you have to do it take out the backseat and its right there..

Talking about the fmu...like i always say not everyone lives by tuners and id rather have fmu/inline pump then some shitty base map at 6 psi of boost.....and alot of people that blow their engines up with the fmu setup is because they are complete retards that dont know **** about anything...they're first to say,,"oh its the fmu that blew my motor"...no its not,, its you that blew your motor..i see many guys at the track all the time that have thousands of miles on fmu setups without problems..run 6psi,12:1 fmu and inline fuelpump setup and get a wideband and tell me what the a/f reads at...Oh thats right you dont have this setup and are probably basing your info on heresay from honda-tech,,
Old 06-02-2006, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea thats right i never had an fmu setup because i was smart enough in the first place to not use one, an fmu setup is just like having a shitty basemap where timing even isnt adjusted so its even worse. I dont even know how you can say that an FMU isnt what blows the motor when there really isnt any way of tuning them its like a fixed system, hardly something good.

Lasttime i checked i hada chipped ecu and my a/f ratio's are PERFECT 11.8:1 and odd i dont have to bump my fuel pressure up to around 90 psi to do it. Go stick to yuor fmu if you want a shitty halfassed setup or do it a more intelligent way and get it chipped
Old 06-02-2006, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when did i say the fmu was better then a custom programmed ecu? i never said that,,i said for his 6psi goal he can have the fmu setup running his engine right..

and exactly,, you never ran the fmu so dont talk about it if you never used it..ive installed fmu's on turbocars for people,,,but i also have a turboedit chipped pm6 right now..ive used both and have experience with both ..luckily i live like 30min from xenocrom if i ever need tuning but not everyone lives by a great tuner,,so what do you do??
Old 06-02-2006, 08:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This is starting to turn into a pissing contest.

To the OP, if you are set in running an FMU, there isnt much that a few annonymous people on the internet can tell you to change your mind. Run the setup and cross your fingers. If your engine breaks, investigate and find out why it broke (an expensive lesson to learn).

From what most turbo guys on here say, once you get used to driving a boosted car, your gonna want to crank up the boost pressure. Which is something that you wont be able to do with your FMU setup.

But back to your original question:

Get the oil feed and return line kit from stealthmode, you dont NEED the vacuum manifold, you also dont NEED the boost controller, you can skip the missing link if you feel like installing a check valve assembly.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.speaker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when did i say the fmu was better then a custom programmed ecu? i never said that,,i said for his 6psi goal he can have the fmu setup running his engine right..

and exactly,, you never ran the fmu so dont talk about it if you never used it..ive installed fmu's on turbocars for people,,,but i also have a turboedit chipped pm6 right now..ive used both and have experience with both ..luckily i live like 30min from xenocrom if i ever need tuning but not everyone lives by a great tuner,,so what do you do?? </TD></TR></TABLE>

you said you'd rather run an fmu over a basemap, which is still retarded, an FMU only deals with fuel and it does that fairly poorly, he has no control over timing where at least a basemap can have a step retard so he doesnt melt anything. Also you installed some fmu's, good job you want a cookie, you are able to connect 3 lines congrats.

FMU's are poor excuses for engine management period.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Soccerking3000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you said you'd rather run an fmu over a basemap, which is still retarded, an FMU only deals with fuel and it does that fairly poorly, he has no control over timing where at least a basemap can have a step retard so he doesnt melt anything. Also you installed some fmu's, good job you want a cookie, you are able to connect 3 lines congrats.

FMU's are poor excuses for engine management period.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no,no you're missundertanding me...i said id rather run an fmu then some shitty basemap....let me give an example of what im talking about...you have 2 turbo setups,,one is 12:1 fmu,high flow inline pump and msd boost retard..turbo boost is set at 6psi...you're done,,all you do is drive it..and it will run fairly well.................
now the other setup is also at 6 psi...but has 255 walbo,450cc injectors,and hondatat s200b piggyback setup ..now your thinking oh yeah this is way better but it was tuned by joe crackhead....now tell me which setup will last longer,,,get my point? and not everyone lives by good tuners and they have to deal with these joe crackhead tuners
Old 06-02-2006, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

[QUOTE=Mr.speaker]

i dont know if you know about 88-91 civic/crx or 90-93 integra but you do have to drop the gas tank to change the fuel pump,,,its not like 92+ civic or 94+ integra where all you have to do it take out the backseat and its right there..

Talking about the fmu...like i always say not everyone lives by tuners and id rather have fmu/inline pump then some shitty base map at 6 psi of boost.....and alot of people that blow their engines up with the fmu setup is because they are complete retards that dont know **** about anything...they're first to say,,"oh its the fmu that blew my motor"...no its not,, its you that blew your motor..i see many guys at the track all the time that have thousands of miles on fmu setups without problems..run 6psi,12:1 fmu and inline fuelpump setup and get a wideband and tell me what the a/f reads at...Oh thats right you dont have this setup and are probably basing your info on heresay from honda-tech,,[/QUOTE

This is a pretty stupid thing to say. He seems to have put together a decent turbo kit, so why half *** the tuning?? I see this all the time as people put thousands into a kit and then run an fmu or basemap and it runs like **** and/or blows.

And everybody says "yeah, i only want a little extra power", or "I'm just gonna run 6 psi", but after a few months of running 6 psi, almost everybody wants more. Then you have to buy what you should of in the first place and get it tuned.

This is 2006, get it chipped and spend a little $$ getting it tuned, it will be well worth it. The days of FMU's and missing links are long gone.

just my opinion, though
Old 06-02-2006, 03:09 PM

a rev hard manifold works with a drag down pipe? dont think it will but i could be wrong
Old 06-08-2006, 03:03 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mr.speaker &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no,no you're missundertanding me...i said id rather run an fmu then some shitty basemap....let me give an example of what im talking about...you have 2 turbo setups,,one is 12:1 fmu,high flow inline pump and msd boost retard..turbo boost is set at 6psi...you're done,,all you do is drive it..and it will run fairly well.................
now the other setup is also at 6 psi...but has 255 walbo,450cc injectors,and hondatat s200b piggyback setup ..now your thinking oh yeah this is way better but it was tuned by joe crackhead....now tell me which setup will last longer,,,get my point? and not everyone lives by good tuners and they have to deal with these joe crackhead tuners</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who the hell spends the money for Engine Management (wheter its standalone or just a chip) and then tkaes it to "Joe Crackhead" to tune it???

For not all that much more money you could get a Wideband with Datalogging and tune it yourself if you are so far away from a decent tuner (which I find hard to beleive, unless 4 hours is a long way to tune your $2k plus investment).