Notices

What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc...

List all the problems you have had since turboing your car. CELs, bogging, extra maintenance, shitty mileage, and whatever else you can think of. I'm still trying to decide if turbo is worth it or not, and I'd like some feedback from those already on the darkside. Thanks.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:06 AM

Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (fnananon)

Build it right, and dont abuse it... I've had no problems.
Old 10-14-2002, 08:36 AM

Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (hatchy)

same here....... except one plug the insulator fell out, it was defective
Old 10-14-2002, 08:47 AM

Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (hatchy)

Exactly...me too.
Old 10-14-2002, 09:13 AM
New User

Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (ski_rebel_3)

agree
Old 10-14-2002, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (fnananon)

oil consumption, I have to check my oil every day or two, other than that everything is great.
Old 10-14-2002, 09:32 AM
Trial User

Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc...

No problems, no issues... do it right the first time, take good care of it and it will take good care of you ---
Old 10-14-2002, 09:37 AM

Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (LEON)

No problems, no issues... do it right the first time, take good care of it and it will take good care of you ---
Old 10-14-2002, 09:44 AM
New User

Driving in Stop and Go Traffic using my ACT Extreme Clutch with 6-puck. Other than that everything going great!
Old 10-14-2002, 09:49 AM

Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (slowcivic)

i hate the fact that on every open stretch of road.. i get the craving for boost

i hate the fact that the sound of my BOV in a tunnel makes me giggle like a little sissy

i hate the fact that i have low end torque

i hate the fact that i was actually forced to learn about my car

Old 10-14-2002, 10:02 AM
New User

Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (BoostedEX)

every now and then, you gotta check things here and there. mainly oil and make sure nothing is leaking. goin turbo only sounds bad when you think of the bad things that can happen. install it right... stay away from WOT near cops... and youll be fine. boost is addictive.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:24 AM

Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (slowcivic)

This doesn't happen unless you have a hondata or other EMS but if not tuned perfect for part throttle than you run into a little bit of problems. Well not really problems, my car when it's REALLY MUGGY and HUMID outside between 10 vac. and 0 boost it hesitates because it starts to add the fuel too early so it's rich, but under full throttle acceleration not a damn problem, it's all beautiful.... Never even a puff of smoke under full throttle! All you get is a big one of these: And your passanger gets one of these I love it and would never go back with my car... Godo luck with your decision man.

Later,

Sean C.
Old 10-14-2002, 10:24 AM
New User

Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (dlplayboy)

I hate that I'm so PARANOID. Always looking under the car for leaks, checking the oil, checking the water. Idles funny for a second, pop the hood, check vacuum lines. Hear a sound in the middle of the night... Is that my exhaust?! RUN outside, and look.. car's still there. Whew! I'm PARANOID!!!

I love my car to bits now that it's back together, and it's FUN FUN FUN, but I want my g/f to drive sometimes, and she's always begging to ride in my car...

Lets burn your gas for a change, honey

Also, anyone else notice how impossible it is to spend money on anything but the Honda once it's together?
Old 10-14-2002, 10:46 AM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (SiR Kid)

ahh the joys of owning a 175hp/liter car. i cant wait.
Old 10-14-2002, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (falconGSR)

heh take that ford probe (2.5l v6 160hp at the f/w)
Old 10-14-2002, 01:38 PM

Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (falconGSR)

I've only had problems with the water getting too hot, but, it was soon fixed with a simple flush and fill.

Also, always worrying about where I leave my car. I get so scared everytime I leave it for more then 2 minutes.

Old 10-14-2002, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (E Swift)

any problems when switching to a civic half-length radiator?
I heard it actually cools as good as the full length one (same volume, less surface area). Is it true?
Old 10-14-2002, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (Quick 200k Mile Mo

one thing most of you forgot...wheelspin
Old 10-14-2002, 02:54 PM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (Quick 200k Mile Mo

I hate the way it makes me feel the need to beat up on every mustang I see. I already know im going to win, yet I feel the need to ruin their day anyways. I guess its like revenge for the 4-5 times I got picked on by a 5.0 when i was stock. <issues hehe

but for real. keep everything as stock as possible when u go turbo and u will be VERY happy with purchases. meaning keep the motor stock until u HAVE to build it.

[Modified by DIRep972, 11:57 PM 10/14/2002]
Old 10-14-2002, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Things I hated.

Oil Feed line that came with the kit leaked, my own didn't.

For some reason my Mani to Head gasket ALLWAYS had major leaks.

6 puck clutch caused loose ground wire, which made engine run like ****, and I spent 200 bucks on stuff I didn't need to only find out a wire was loose!!!

My tuned Hondata gave me CEL 1 for some reason I couldn't figure out.

I worried too damn much. Worried so much I sold the setup. Do kinda regret it now.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:04 PM
What is this crap?

Received 57 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (HXMan)

I worried too damn much. Worried so much I sold the setup. Do kinda regret it now.
regret what? turbo? worrying? or selling it?
Old 10-14-2002, 03:20 PM

The only problem I had was trying to keep it out of boost...it's really hard.
Old 10-14-2002, 03:43 PM

Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (SiDESLiDE240)

Well the downsides are I MIGHT have a slightly blown headgasket (and my car only has 46k miles so likely a warped head if thats the case). ummmm I've thrown a few misfire codes for my injectors.... I no longer leak oil after 6 months of leaking (no return line related ironically).

Benifits? I own a 189whp 167lb ft of tq automatic honda that can run better then a 14.8 (that time in my sig is PRE tuning).

A automatic teg that smoked: Type R numerous times (same one), supercharged grand prix, older v8 stangs, bmw, and your usual ricers all day is priceless in my eyes..... :D
Old 10-14-2002, 03:55 PM

Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (shadowdawn)

just a random question here- but how much whp would i have to put down in a fwd car to reach low or mid 12's?
Old 10-14-2002, 04:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc... (irdprelude)

open w/g is kinda noisy, but it's not all that bad

Quick Reply: What do you hate about daily-driving a turboed Honda/Acura? Problems, etc...