Notices

What to do after installing turbo, but before starting car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What to do after installing turbo, but before starting car?

I have a greddy 18g turbo kit for my itr, but haven't installed it yet.

I have to finish wiring up the resistors for the injectors, but before I actually do the install I want to know what's up with the horror stories I hear about people installing their turbo and the turbo immediately goes bad?

I've heard you have to pre-oil the turbo or pressurize the turbo system before anything... how so? Is there a proper way to do so? Are there instructions available somewhere online?
Old 05-26-2004, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i believe people will disconnect the power to the distributor or ECU then crank the moter a few times repetedly to get the oil flowing to the turbo. then plug in what you unplugged previously and start er up
Old 05-26-2004, 03:49 PM

Default Re: (Turbo E 604)

to get oil in your turbo before starting it up, just turn your key to the on position w/out cranking it, and let it sit there for about 1 minute. after that tune the car off, tune it back to the on postion for about 30 seconds and then crack it. this should feed oil to your turbo.

you should do the same thing after you do an oil change if you got a turbo.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:53 PM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (TurblowR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurblowR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to get oil in your turbo before starting it up, just turn your key to the on position w/out cranking it, and let it sit there for about 1 minute. after that tune the car off, tune it back to the on postion for about 30 seconds and then crack it. this should feed oil to your turbo.

you should do the same thing after you do an oil change if you got a turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How is not cranking your engine going to feed oil to the turbo. Your oil pump depends on engines RPMs to pump. It's not electric like your fuel pump.
You have to disconnect your coil wire and crank the motor a few times. Look here for instructions. They're towards the end of the write up.
http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~yele....html
Old 05-26-2004, 04:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurblowR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to get oil in your turbo before starting it up, just turn your key to the on position w/out cranking it, and let it sit there for about 1 minute. after that tune the car off, tune it back to the on postion for about 30 seconds and then crack it. this should feed oil to your turbo.

you should do the same thing after you do an oil change if you got a turbo.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I think you are thinkin about the fuel pump not the oil pump
Old 05-26-2004, 04:19 PM
HELLO,GOOD MORNIN'

that does not work at all. no enough oil pressure.

Before you put the turbo on. Just prime it. Run some oil through it with a squirter of some sort. Then just put everything together, it takes a sec fr the oil to get there. not hard at all.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:37 AM
H-T White Ops

pull out all 4 spark plug wires. Then crank the motor for 5 seconds. Then stop. Then repeat that 4 times. Now, there should be oil in the oil line for the turbo and there should be oil for the turbo.
Old 05-27-2004, 04:57 AM
i my honda
Global Mod

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pull out all 4 spark plug wires. Then crank the motor for 5 seconds. Then stop. Then repeat that 4 times. Now, there should be oil in the oil line for the turbo and there should be oil for the turbo.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
That will do it

-Also makeshure ALL your vacume lines have tie wraps on them.
-Make shure you have all lines hooked up corectly then DOUBLE CHECK

Hope this helps