Notices

What is the deal!? Oil restrictor or not!? (Extreme anger)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the deal!? Oil restrictor or not!? (Extreme anger)

So what is up with this Fu@k!ng oil restrictor BS! I just read for about an hour through old threads and websites about this damn thing and I have ten different answers. I just bought a brand new GT28RS and I really dont want to ruin the motherfu@ker and waste a $1000. I read on Garrett's website anything over 60 psi oil pressure requires a restrictor. So WTF!! Which one? Some people say you dont need it, some say you do? If so which one? Somebody with EXPERIENCE with GT series let me know what you have on your setup. Thanks.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Better than steak

Default Re: What is the deal!? Oil restrictor or not!? (jdmtegra666)

use a restrictor.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the deal!? Oil restrictor or not!? (Arturbo)

Which one do you prefer? The ATPturbo style?
Old 03-06-2006, 09:20 PM
Better than steak

They all do the same same thing. ATP has worked for me.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the deal!? Oil restrictor or not!? (Arturbo)

If thats what you use then thats good enough for me. But where do you install it? In the end of the oil line at the turbo or off the brass fitting on the back of the block?
Old 03-06-2006, 10:10 PM

Even though i have mine at my fire-wall "t" (my turbo bearly spins off idle anyway) Id probably recommend putting the restrictor closest to your turbo.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: What is the deal!? Oil restrictor or not!? (sohc_turd)

The common answer seems to be just a -3an oil feed line (small enough to not need a restrictor) <U>for journal bearing turbos</U>, but a restrictor with a 0.060" hole in it works well enough for ball bearing turbos.

I'm planning on using the .060" hole with a -4an line since I'm stuck with a junkyard turbo until I work out the specifics...and save up a bit more cash.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the deal!? Oil restrictor or not!? (HiProfile)

Sounds good.
Old 05-18-2006, 11:56 PM
BCICAN

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What is the deal!? Oil restrictor or not!? (HiProfile)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HiProfile &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The common answer seems to be just a -3an oil feed line (small enough to not need a restrictor) <U>for journal bearing turbos</U>, but a restrictor with a 0.060" hole in it works well enough for ball bearing turbos.

I'm planning on using the .060" hole with a -4an line since I'm stuck with a junkyard turbo until I work out the specifics...and save up a bit more cash.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And what if you're seeing 80psi of oil with -3AN lines?
Old 05-19-2006, 12:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the deal!? Oil restrictor or not!? (AF-P Dunc)

They have one built in. All GT turbo's do.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:09 AM
BCICAN

Default Re: What is the deal!? Oil restrictor or not!? (turbozxi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They have one built in. All GT turbo's do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I was refering to a journal bearing turbo. Specifically the Garrett T3 60-1 .82. 80psi just seems incredibly high to me. My current turbo started leaking, but I don't know if it was just old or if it was the oil pressure that did it. Sooo obviously I don't want to screw up a brand new one.
Old 05-19-2006, 03:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AF-P Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And what if you're seeing 80psi of oil with -3AN lines?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The -3 hose cuts down on the volume of oil flowing in at 80 psi. If you have a garden hose for a feed line flowing at 80 psi, your going to have a lot of volume of oil. Shrink that hose down to a -3AN, and you cut down on the volume.

And aparently, the reduced volume is still enough to keep the bearings lubricated enough.

Unfortunatly, this seems to be a trial and error process to try and find the correctly sized oil lines. Take advantage of other peoples failures and successes and use a -3 line, or a -4 line with a restrictor.
Old 05-19-2006, 06:40 AM
BCICAN

Default Re: What is the deal!? Oil restrictor or not!? (VTteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The -3 hose cuts down on the volume of oil flowing in at 80 psi. If you have a garden hose for a feed line flowing at 80 psi, your going to have a lot of volume of oil. Shrink that hose down to a -3AN, and you cut down on the volume.

And aparently, the reduced volume is still enough to keep the bearings lubricated enough.

Unfortunatly, this seems to be a trial and error process to try and find the correctly sized oil lines. Take advantage of other peoples failures and successes and use a -3 line, or a -4 line with a restrictor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea that's the only thing though, the current turbo began leaking with a -3AN @ 80psi so I'd guess I'd be leaning toward using one. I called a Garrett dealer and he told me to not use one and to look for signs of leaking. Now hold up there dude, why would I do that because by then my seals are f-ed up What suppliers need to do is tell people what the minimum required and/or the maximum required amount of oil is needed in terms of psi and stick to one common -AN size hose. That would solve all of these stupid oil restrictor threads and debates.
Old 05-19-2006, 07:01 AM

I ran a 4AN line NO restrictor to my 60-1 for about 2 years never saw a single drop of oil out of it when I took it off and inspected it everything was perfect

Maybe I was just lucky?
Old 05-19-2006, 07:06 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: What is the deal!? Oil restrictor or not!?

If all GT turbos have restrictors built in then why are we having this dicussion? Why would anyone use an additional restrictor?
Old 05-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the deal!? Oil restrictor or not!? (Muckman)

yup tru... alll gt and greddy turbo's have restrictors built in,.,,, jus make sure ur oil return can flow everything out ,, u shouldnt have problems bro..
Old 05-19-2006, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the deal!? Oil restrictor or not!? ()

Garrett ball bearing turbochargers require less oil than journal bearing turbos. Therefore an oil inlet restrictor is recommended if you have oil pressure over about 60 psig. The oil outlet should be plumbed to the oil pan above the oil level (for wet sump systems). Since the oil drain is gravity fed, it is important that the oil outlet points downward, and that the drain tube does not become horizontal or go “uphill” at any point.

Reduced Oil Flow – The ball bearing design reduces the required amount of oil required to provide adequate lubrication. This lower oil volume reduces the chance for seal leakage. Also, the ball bearing is more tolerant of marginal lube conditions, and diminishes the possibility of turbocharger failure on engine shut down.

-turbobygarrett.com
Old 05-20-2006, 12:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the deal!? Oil restrictor or not!? (Muckman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If all GT turbos have restrictors built in then why are we having this dicussion? Why would anyone use an additional restrictor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://forums.freshalloy.com/u...37624

They reccomend the use of an additional restrictor most factory turbo cars use one in the stock oil lines...
Old 05-20-2006, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AF-P Dunc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yea that's the only thing though, the current turbo began leaking with a -3AN @ 80psi so I'd guess I'd be leaning toward using one. I called a Garrett dealer and he told me to not use one and to look for signs of leaking. Now hold up there dude, why would I do that because by then my seals are f-ed up What suppliers need to do is tell people what the minimum required and/or the maximum required amount of oil is needed in terms of psi and stick to one common -AN size hose. That would solve all of these stupid oil restrictor threads and debates.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agree completely with you. I don't want to deal with this down the road either. I am going to get one but maybe open the hole up. Who knows, this **** sucks..

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!
Old 05-20-2006, 11:18 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbozxi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> most factory turbo cars use one in the stock oil lines... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Which cars would that be? I've never seen that before.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What is the deal!? Oil restrictor or not!? (stealthmode62)

Nissans are what I am familiar with, Subarus and there IHI turbo have a restrictor as the bolt which holds the oil line in.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:40 PM

The banjo bolt is considered a restrictor?
Old 05-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealthmode62 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> The banjo bolt is considered a restrictor? </TD></TR></TABLE> Yeah why not, if you ever get the chance check out the difference between a BB and plain bearing ihi turbo.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:31 PM

I guess, if that's the way you look at it. My honda came with a fuel restrictor on it too.
Old 05-20-2006, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stealthmode62 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I guess, if that's the way you look at it. My honda came with a fuel restrictor on it too. </TD></TR></TABLE>Haha I'm not going to spell it out for you, think what ya will.

Quick Reply: What is the deal!? Oil restrictor or not!? (Extreme anger)