Notices

WHAT CLUTCH IS BETTER 4 TURBO ?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT CLUTCH IS BETTER 4 TURBO ?!?!

well i have a 99 gsr and im about to throw a turbo kit on it, i was wondwering what clutch would be good for it?
clutchmaster, act? what stage?
i found an "action" clucth for 370, but i have neva herd of "action" clutches so im real skeptical bout that
sum1 help i need a clutch kit asap!
Old 10-10-2003, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT CLUTCH IS BETTER 4 TURBO ?!?! (GSRHATCH187)

I ran an act xtreme pressure and 6 puck unsprung... held the power like no other but it tore through the flywheel friction surface as well as the pressure plate surface within about 8 thousand miles - definatly not a great street clutch.

Currently im running the act xtreme pressure plate and street disc - holds 311 ft/lb of tq... that's more than enough to hold thep power.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT CLUTCH IS BETTER 4 TURBO ?!?! (tegasaurus)

Clutchmasters Stage 4 with Clutchmasters Flywheel 7.5 lbs
Old 10-10-2003, 08:46 AM

Default Re: WHAT CLUTCH IS BETTER 4 TURBO ?!?! (CRV Monster)

Clutch Masters Stage 3 should be plenty for your setup
Old 10-10-2003, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegasaurus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I ran an act xtreme pressure and 6 puck unsprung... held the power like no other but it tore through the flywheel friction surface as well as the pressure plate surface within about 8 thousand miles - definatly not a great street clutch.

Currently im running the act xtreme pressure plate and street disc - holds 311 ft/lb of tq... that's more than enough to hold thep power.</TD></TR></TABLE>

This is interesting because I was thinking of ditching my street disc for a 6 puck since I will be making a hell of a lot more power when the motor goes in. ACT even recommended I get the 6 puck. Got pics of what happened?
Old 10-10-2003, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT CLUTCH IS BETTER 4 TURBO ?!?! (ladysman)

im running the act extreme holds great.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT CLUTCH IS BETTER 4 TURBO ?!?! (turbod16y8)

Action Clutch 2MD. Run it in my 380+hp setup and works great. Super Streetable.
Old 10-10-2003, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: WHAT CLUTCH IS BETTER 4 TURBO ?!?! (GSRHATCH187)

are you throwing it overhand or underhand? I've always wanted to "throw" a turbo kit on my car, I just installed it like the instructions told me to.
Old 10-10-2003, 12:01 PM

Default Re: WHAT CLUTCH IS BETTER 4 TURBO ?!?! (BodyKits NW)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BodyKits NW &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Action Clutch 2MD. Run it in my 380+hp setup and works great. Super Streetable. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Not to hijack thread(still on topic)

Does anyone have personal experience with action vs act. I have always ran act clutches and never had any probs, but now that im in the market for a new clutch I have only heard good things about them. I like to stick with what works, but was considering giving action a try. How is pedal stiffness compare to a act/ hd and xt/ss?
Old 10-10-2003, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT CLUTCH IS BETTER 4 TURBO ?!?! (ladysman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ladysman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This is interesting because I was thinking of ditching my street disc for a 6 puck since I will be making a hell of a lot more power when the motor goes in. ACT even recommended I get the 6 puck. Got pics of what happened?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't have pics right now cuz i don't have a digital camera (gotta borrow friends)... The disc was fine, has plenty of meat left on it, but the friction surface of the stock flywheel and the friction surface on the pressure plate are worn down quite a bit. Unless you're making more than 300ft/lb stay with the XTSS... i loved the 6 puck, it grabbed SO hard every shift felt so crisp and i could still feather it out if i launched a little higher But the 6 puck was just a little overkill (lolz... more like WAY overkill for 10 psi) And i bit it in the end.

I wonder If sprung 6 puck discs grab as nice as normal 6 pucks, but are a little more cushy on the fw/pp durring normal day driving.

ryan
Old 10-10-2003, 09:55 PM
Better than steak

You guys should check out competition clutches. Started by the same guy that started clutch masters.

I am personaly running a tilton twin disk on a stock flywheel.

art
Old 10-10-2003, 10:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT CLUTCH IS BETTER 4 TURBO ?!?! (Arturbo)

i'm runnin an Exedy stage2 with a sprung 3puck cerimetalic plate. love it. its' really easy to drive daily. would deffinately reccomend it.

and a few of my buddys ran ACT unsprung 6pucks and they were very hard on there trannys.

My old shop sells Action clutches and have not had any come back and no complaints, all they sell now are Action clutches.

good luck
Old 10-10-2003, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT CLUTCH IS BETTER 4 TURBO ?!?! (reaction360)

We just broke in a Actionclutch stage 1md which is a 6 puck sprung and it grabs hard spinning the tires through 3rd gear. I'm definately going with the Action unsprung when my Exedy starts slipping.
Old 10-11-2003, 03:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WHAT CLUTCH IS BETTER 4 TURBO ?!?! (roydogg)

im running ACT XT/SS, extreme pp with street disk.. it holds the power pretty well... i'll probably go with the same the next time around, but the pedal is VERY stiff, i personally love the pedal feel though..
Old 10-11-2003, 04:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegasaurus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't have pics right now cuz i don't have a digital camera (gotta borrow friends)... The disc was fine, has plenty of meat left on it, but the friction surface of the stock flywheel and the friction surface on the pressure plate are worn down quite a bit. Unless you're making more than 300ft/lb stay with the XTSS... i loved the 6 puck, it grabbed SO hard every shift felt so crisp and i could still feather it out if i launched a little higher But the 6 puck was just a little overkill (lolz... more like WAY overkill for 10 psi) And i bit it in the end.

I wonder If sprung 6 puck discs grab as nice as normal 6 pucks, but are a little more cushy on the fw/pp durring normal day driving.

ryan</TD></TR></TABLE>

ACT told me that the XTSS was good for only 270 ft lbs and that was pushing it.
Old 10-11-2003, 08:28 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tegasaurus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ryan</TD></TR></TABLE>

I think I recall dirk recommending an after-market flywheel with his clutches.