Notices

What can I do to boost more on JRSC SOHC

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can I do to boost more on JRSC SOHC

I got a 1997 Del sol with a 92-95 civic front conversion with a d16y7 engine. My friend is selling me:
Jackson racing Supercharger kit for SOHC
AEM Fuel rail
RC 750cc fuel injectors
JR Fuel pump
Greddy headers
MSD Box

All this for $700

I know this is a hell of a deal but if I get the supercharger, I probably can only get 6-7 psi out of it. I need help because I want to boost more but dont know what to buy exactly. I have about $1000 to spend
Old 01-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What can I do to boost more on JRSC SOHC

iirc there is a 12psi pulley available for the b16a kit not sure if there is one available for your kit, hopefully someone with more versed in JRSC's will post...
Old 01-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by blinx9900
iirc there is a 12psi pulley available for the b16a kit not sure if there is one available for your kit, hopefully someone with more versed in JRSC's will post...

I was researching and came to find that I can upgrade my pulley and get some extra power. Do you think my car will be reliable? I mean I know Ill get a significant gain but I dont want to blow my engine. Do you think Ill have to upgrade some internals if I put the jrsc?
Old 01-07-2009, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

First thing you should do is get some engine management, so you can use those rc750"s, something like hondata, neptune, apexi etc...

Replacing the supercharger nose pulley with a smaller pulley will increase the drive ratio and spin the supercharger faster (this is how you up the boost on a supercharger), which ultimately increases psi and power, but if you make the pulley too small the belt will slip.
Another way to go about spinning the supercharger faster is to change the crank pulley to a larger pulley.

All in all, you will need to tune it very well to make or keep it reliable, and im not quite sure that $1000 will get you the power and reliability you want, so if you spend a bit more then you can have both.

enjoy.
Old 01-07-2009, 01:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can use the higher boost pulley but as stated it must be tuned!! Also consider an aftercooler. Basically what i suggest is you decide how much power you want, then ask yourself (or us) is the JRSC setup capable of making the amount of power you want/need. like if you want 300whp this setup is probably not for you at all...
Old 01-07-2009, 03:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use that money for Hondata and a tune.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Get yourself an oversized crank pulley.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blinx9900
You can use the higher boost pulley but as stated it must be tuned!! Also consider an aftercooler. Basically what i suggest is you decide how much power you want, then ask yourself (or us) is the JRSC setup capable of making the amount of power you want/need. like if you want 300whp this setup is probably not for you at all...
How would you go about intercooling it? IIRC there is no intercooler setup avail for the jrsc. It would be nice. One way to help keep the temps down is to spray water/meth or alky. Some of my friends with D16s did this when running the smaller pulley.

Good luck. I think a light weight supercharged car would be fun but they just dont make the power i want.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by oneoverwrx
How would you go about intercooling it? IIRC there is no intercooler setup avail for the jrsc.

There sure is little buddy: http://www.lhtperformance.net/Superc.../upgrades.html
Old 01-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for everyones help.
Right now my goal is 200 to 210 whp. What kind of power do you think Ill get with the stuff Im buying from my friend?
Old 01-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 01-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CivicSi95
150 whp does not sound impressive at all. I read that with this supercharger I can get a great amount of gain but that seems low. Hopefully with the upgraded pulley I can boost more and at least keep up or beat gsr's. How much money do u think I would need to achieve my goal of 200 to 210 whp? can someone give me a list of parts I will needto achieve my goal as well.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Icon5 Re: What can I do to boost more on JRSC SOHC

$700 is a deal. For $1k you could get the kit going and make 175whp with a better pulley (at best; I think their name is PulleyBoys), but the small blower and crappy Y7 head will really be holding you back. The most obvious is the block - unless you're built, consider 200whp your [long-term] safety limit. Your best bet is to get a turbo in the 60trim T3 range. You'll be able to run more power with more safety, since very high IAT's won't be a concern. Honestly $700+street tune should be enough until you save more up for a built bottom end and a turbo kit. At that point you can definately recover 100% of your cost on the JRSC+parts.

As far as JRSC's making power - a B-series JRSC can make decent power with enough mods, but the SOHC kit uses the M45 blower, not the M62. Its undersized for a stock 1.5L motor, let alone a 1.6L with extra boost. The aftercooler will help, but as you see - not by a whole lot.

One other thing to note about the M45 - due to its small size, you don't get instant boost. Its much quicker than most turbos, but if you used a GT28R with a mini-me/elf/short runner manifold, you'd almost out-spool it and definately out-power it. IIRC it was Jeff Evans who compaired a B18C1/modded JRSC and a B18C1/Evo9 turbo with a divided manifold, both ~300whp. The JRSC only made more power below ~3k - and not by much!

FYI there is a thread with something crazy number of posts (>5k?) all about JRSC setups. You'd do well to find it.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by HiProfile
$700 is a deal. For $1k you could get the kit going and make 175whp with a better pulley (at best; I think their name is PulleyBoys), but the small blower and crappy Y7 head will really be holding you back. The most obvious is the block - unless you're built, consider 200whp your [long-term] safety limit. Your best bet is to get a turbo in the 60trim T3 range. You'll be able to run more power with more safety, since very high IAT's won't be a concern. Honestly $700+street tune should be enough until you save more up for a built bottom end and a turbo kit. At that point you can definately recover 100% of your cost on the JRSC+parts.

As far as JRSC's making power - a B-series JRSC can make decent power with enough mods, but the SOHC kit uses the M45 blower, not the M62. Its undersized for a stock 1.5L motor, let alone a 1.6L with extra boost. The aftercooler will help, but as you see - not by a whole lot.

One other thing to note about the M45 - due to its small size, you don't get instant boost. Its much quicker than most turbos, but if you used a GT28R with a mini-me/elf/short runner manifold, you'd almost out-spool it and definately out-power it. IIRC it was Jeff Evans who compaired a B18C1/modded JRSC and a B18C1/Evo9 turbo with a divided manifold, both ~300whp. The JRSC only made more power below ~3k - and not by much!

FYI there is a thread with something crazy number of posts (>5k?) all about JRSC setups. You'd do well to find it.

Thanks for the advice!!
I always wanted a turbo too. But this deal was to sweet to just walk away from. Last night when I posted this thread, the search engine was down and Im new to this whole scene. I feel dumb now for getting that JRSC.. Ill probably get lucky if I beat a b16.. My neighbor just sold me a hondata s300 for $300 and I ran into a problem. The JRSC did not come with the Boost Timing Controller because someone stole it from my friend who sold it to me and now I dont know if I can use the ecu instead of buying the btc.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why dont you just sell the kit and get a turbo setup? It sounds like you want more power than this blower can produce anyways.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TehGhett0P1mp
Why dont you just sell the kit and get a turbo setup? It sounds like you want more power than this blower can produce anyways.
Is there anyway I can change the blower?
Old 01-08-2009, 04:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by CPT Del sol
Is there anyway I can change the blower?

There is a company by the name of Endyne dynamics that made a conversion kit that allowed the m62 blower to bolt to a SOHC engine.
I am not 100% sure if they still produce this kit but it's worth a try...
But even if they have discontinued the kit, they do still modify the m45 blower to flow better and produce more power at lower temps, but im not sure of the cost.

Have a bit of google time and see if you can find their website.

enjoy
Old 01-08-2009, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

endyn's site is theoldone.com and there sohc supercharger is long discontinued.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/official-sohc-supercharger-thread-1745564/

this is for sohc but there is a general JRSC thread real big thread. Last time I talked to LHT the will not make anymore d series intercoolers even though its still on thier website. You can get blower pulleys from ENDYN and some other places. Crank pulleys pight be a problem for the Y7 y8 kit as seen in the link above the manifold is slightly offset to for clearance issues. So it comes with a offset crank pulley. Shimming could work.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone know if the jackson racing idler pulleys and supercharger belt will give me more boost?
Old 01-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, sell it, it won't do what you want to do.
Old 01-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

honestly, your HP goals are the problem right now. i think if you set them lower to about 160-170whp it may be reached and that should be enough to keep up with or beat a stock gsr. on a budget of $1200 (SC kit, hondata and decent tune) thats not bad at all but keep in mind, your probably gonna want more power out of that SOHC which is just a matter of selling a SC kit and purchasing a turbo kit being as you already have the ecu and injectors. so bottom line, the SC may be a fun little daily until you get the itch for more power but then again, so would a 50 shot..........
Old 01-09-2009, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got 175 whp from my M45 JRSC kit on my D16A6 block/D16Y7 head setup. I was running about 15 psi of boost with an Endyn modded M45 at the time. You do not need the BTC if you are tuning using the S300. You have a lot of reading to do. Go find the big JRSC thread. It's about 300 pages long, and full of very good info.

175 whp is do-able, but I don't think you'll get much higher than that without changing to a Vtec head. I would concentrate on a smaller blower snout pulley to raise my boost before considering a larger crank pulley. The bigger crank pulley will make your alternator spin faster as well, shortening it's life. If once you've gone to the smaller blower pulley (www.pulleyboys.com or www.endyn.com), you still don't have enough boost or power, then look at shimming things to try and fit the OEM D16Y7/D16Y8 crank pulley. That'll get you to about 15 psi of boost.

Don't give up on the JRSC just yet. Even though the "numbers" might not end up as high as what you're after, the instant throttle response and torque down low will be an absolute blast. You will giggle your *** off, and be spinning tires at will in the lower gears (1st and 2nd). I now have one of the Endyn M62 D series kits, and will be running 17-18 psi.