Notices

What c/r to run on a boosted B18C???

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 07:20 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What c/r to run on a boosted B18C???

Yes, i could've done a search, but the server was down for some reason. Anyway, I want to boost my B18C in my 97 GSR. After talking to a few people on here, I have decided to save up more cash and get my bottom end built up. I was going to boost it stock block, but with the power I want to make I know i'll be on the border of blowing it up and I don't want to do that. So I decided to build up the bottom end by buying forged rods and pistons.

My question is what compression ration of pistons do I buy? I know a stock B18C1 has like 10.4:1 c/r. I want to know what c/r pistons to order. Also, what brand would yall recommend? i want something that's good and strong and reliable, but that won't wind up leaving me eating Ramen noodles for months. A friend of mine bought some CP pistons for like 400-500 bucks with a 9:1 c/r, but he's trying to get around 500-600 hp.

I want to reach around 350 whp and be able to drive my car daily. I know for the street I would have to turn down the boost and have lower power, but i don't mind as long as I know that when I need the power, its there.

This is what I want: if possible----350 hp to the wheels, daily driven GSR.

What c/r would recommend?
What brand of pistons would u recommend?
What rods what u recommend?

Thanks 4 the help.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:23 AM
Trial User

Oh, I forgot to add that I'm planning to use a Garrett T3/T4 turbo with a 60 trim/.63 A/R. is this turbo overkill for my motor or is it a good choice?
Old 12-15-2004, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What c/r to run on a boosted B18C??? (mugenda6)

bump i would like to know also
Old 12-15-2004, 07:46 AM

Default Re: (mugenda6)

9:1 compression, eagle rods, T3/TO4E 60-trim will do alright, but you could go smaller and still hit your goal easily. I would just stick with it though.

Don't bother running high compression, IMO. I have an 83MM sleeved motor with 9:1 CP's, and a friend of mine has an 84.5MM sleeved motor with flat top CP's, or about 10.5:1 compression. Honestly, even with a 1.5MM difference in bore and a full point and a half more compression I could not tell any difference in spool driving each car back to back. If you looked at the logs, his car might make boost 200 RPM's quicker, but nothing worth writing home about. High compression has been very pumped up as being the new great thing on H-T, but for 99% of people I feel the cons outweigh the pros.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:53 AM

Default Re: (turboEGsedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboEGsedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">9:1 compression, eagle rods, T3/TO4E 60-trim will do alright, but you could go smaller and still hit your goal easily. I would just stick with it though.

Don't bother running high compression, IMO. I have an 83MM sleeved motor with 9:1 CP's, and a friend of mine has an 84.5MM sleeved motor with flat top CP's, or about 10.5:1 compression. Honestly, even with a 1.5MM difference in bore and a full point and a half more compression I could not tell any difference in spool driving each car back to back. If you looked at the logs, his car might make boost 200 RPM's quicker, but nothing worth writing home about. High compression has been very pumped up as being the new great thing on H-T, but for 99% of people I feel the cons outweigh the pros.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes but at what psi did he make his peak h-power and what was yours?

pros of high c/r: make full boost at a lower psi
cons of high c/r: will need race gas to go higher boost

pros of low c/r: turn up boost on pump gas
cons of low c/r: more boost to match hp of high c/r

Please correct me if I am wrong or add to the list. . .I prefer in between, something like 9.8:1
Old 12-15-2004, 12:05 PM

Default Re: (4-banging)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4-banging &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

yes but at what psi did he make his peak h-power and what was yours?

pros of high c/r: make full boost at a lower psi
cons of high c/r: will need race gas to go higher boost

pros of low c/r: turn up boost on pump gas
cons of low c/r: more boost to match hp of high c/r

Please correct me if I am wrong or add to the list. . .I prefer in between, something like 9.8:1</TD></TR></TABLE>

I made 480 WHP at 18 psi, he couldn't run 18 psi on pump gas. At 14 psi I made 432 WHP, and he made 447 WHP at 14 psi. There was about a 15 WHP difference, but he couldn't push it any higher than 14 or he was starting to see some knock on the street. I add one more pound of boost and I'm making more horsepower than him, plus I can go a few pounds higher if I wanted to. He mixed in some C16 but once he turned up the boost it kept blowing out the spark. I keep it at 14 psi to drive it on the street, but I would feel more comfortable in hot weather pushing that much boost into a 9:1 83MM motor instead of a 10.5:1 84.5MM motor where if a piston lets go you're screwed and need to get it resleeved.

With a big turbo and if you have good gas and a great tuner, high compression turbo setups work great. But for people who may only get 91 or 92 octane, people who are running smaller turbos that heat up the air more and take more boost to make X amount of horsepower I would strongly recommend the 9:1 route.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turboEGsedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turboEGsedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I made 480 WHP at 18 psi, he couldn't run 18 psi on pump gas. At 14 psi I made 432 WHP, and he made 447 WHP at 14 psi. There was about a 15 WHP difference, but he couldn't push it any higher than 14 or he was starting to see some knock on the street. I add one more pound of boost and I'm making more horsepower than him, plus I can go a few pounds higher if I wanted to. He mixed in some C16 but once he turned up the boost it kept blowing out the spark. I keep it at 14 psi to drive it on the street, but I would feel more comfortable in hot weather pushing that much boost into a 9:1 83MM motor instead of a 10.5:1 84.5MM motor where if a piston lets go you're screwed and need to get it resleeved.

With a big turbo and if you have good gas and a great tuner, high compression turbo setups work great. But for people who may only get 91 or 92 octane, people who are running smaller turbos that heat up the air more and take more boost to make X amount of horsepower I would strongly recommend the 9:1 route.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Were you using the same turbos? There's alot of variables here that makes this comparison kind of useless.
Old 12-15-2004, 12:44 PM

Default Re: (4-banging)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4-banging &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">something like 9.8:1</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree.. I am setup to run 9.8:1 compression on my turbo motor.. The lowest I would go is 9.5:1 compression..
Old 12-15-2004, 01:33 PM
Trial User

well, we have 93 octane pump gas out here...does that help determine the c/r i should choose?
Old 12-15-2004, 01:38 PM

Default Re: (RyanCivic2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RyanCivic2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Were you using the same turbos? There's alot of variables here that makes this comparison kind of useless.</TD></TR></TABLE>

We're both running cheapturbo T3/T67's with stage 5 wheels and .63 housings. I am running a neukin equal length manifold, he is running a peakboost. I'm running a PTE 600 HP intercooler, he's running a big PWR cooler. I'm on Hondata, he's on Uberdata. I didn't say which one felt faster because his is in an 1800 pound CRX and my car is a 2500 pound sedan, so obviously the CRX is going to feel significantly faster.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

9 to 1 is good