Notices

What am I missing from my turbo setup...?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What am I missing from my turbo setup...?

Hey guys. So, Ive got my first turbo build underway, and was wondering if there is anything that I might be missing before I put everything together and head down to my tuner. Here is what Ive got/what my goal is/some quick questions...

My setup so far:
1994 Civic Cx Hatchback
1994 B18B1 with an 01 GSR Tranny
TD04L WRX Turbo (non sti) with an internal (factory) wastegate
Log style Cast Exhaust manifold
DSM OEM Side mount intercooler
Home made downpipe with flexpipe section and bung for O2 sensor
Home made IC piping
Silicone Couplers
Greddy RS BOV
RC 310cc Injectors

My goal:
180-200hp to the wheels. My car will be mainly street driven with some occasional autocross usage. Id like to get as close to 200whp without going over 8psi worth of boost. Since Im not shooting for a lot of horsepower, I figured the TD04L would be perfect for my goal since its factory ratings were that it started spooling around 2300-2500 rpms and holds its boost good untill 6800 rpms, which is the rpm limit on my motor. The HP rating on the turbo is also a max of 200 (from the research Ive done, I could be wrong though) But yeah, my main goal is to have a somewhat reliable street car that would be fun at autocross events.

Questions...

Question one:

With a lower HP goal, will I need to upgrade to a bigger MAP sensor?

Question two:

Will a Hondata S200 with the boost option be a sufficient enough management system, or would the S300 better suit my setup?

Any help would be awesome! Thanks in advance.

Modified by daluv at 9:36 AM 6/25/2008
Old 06-24-2008, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What am I missing from my turbo setup...? (daluv)

The Turbo should produce more than 200whp on your motor. Stock turbo wrx's can put down around 240ish whp, and they have more drive-train loss than an LS motor/tranny would. Now would I choose that turbo for your setup? Probably not, they run out of steam pretty early in the rpm band, but hey you have the turbo already, give it a shot. And before you get tuned, grab at least a 2 bar MAP, it would suck to be limited by such a small part and have to go back for a re tune.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:56 PM

Answer to Question 1: No you will not need to upgrade to a larger MAP sensor...im sure you will be making 200whp before you reach 11.2 psi (Which is what the stock MAP can read)

Answer to Question 2: Hondata s200 w/ boost option will be fine for what you are trying to do...however, unless you can find someone selling it for pretty cheap, I think it's worth the extra few bucks for an s300 unit.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1995Civic)

Awesome, I think that pretty much gives me what I was looking for. Thanks guys!
Old 06-25-2008, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (daluv)

Crome+Freelog FTW.
For such a small goal, I wouldn't spend all that money.
Don't forget couplers on your list.
Also, you'll need a flex pipe if you don't have one already.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (reactone)

Lol, Ive got couplers already and a flexpipe in the downpipe I fabbed for the setup. Ill edit it lol. Educate me a little on the chrome and freelog since Ive never heard about freelog. Ive heard of chrome, just not freelog.

have you heard of any good tuning shops in Rochester? (im pretty close to rochester and go out there to check out the car shows at charlotte beach once in a while)
Old 06-25-2008, 08:29 PM

Default Re: (daluv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daluv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lol, Ive got couplers already and a flexpipe in the downpipe I fabbed for the setup. Ill edit it lol. Educate me a little on the chrome and freelog since Ive never heard about freelog. Ive heard of chrome, just not freelog.

have you heard of any good tuning shops in Rochester? (im pretty close to rochester and go out there to check out the car shows at charlotte beach once in a while)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've never heard of Freelog either...maybe someone who knows a little more about tuning will chime in.

However, Crome Pro is a great program if you just want a simple chip since your goals are not very big. I ran that on my last Single Cam turbo setup, and it worked out very well
Old 06-25-2008, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What am I missing from my turbo setup...?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Love