Notices

What all do I need to tune Hondata?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What all do I need to tune Hondata?

I have the Hondata S200b and a FJO WB...
Whats all do I need to tune beside a laptop? And is datalogging necessary for tuning? Or can you get away with it? Cuz my tuner doesn't use it? I thought you need it? Let me know thanks!
Old 10-13-2003, 09:51 PM

Default Re: What all do I need to tune Hondata? (9psiTurboSI)

If you're an authorized precision dealer, you should do some more personal research, to better inform your customers... my .02

Browse the tech section at hondata, it's very informative, and fun.

to tune yourself with the s200b

You need datalogging, you need the romeditor software, and you need a chip burner.

You already have the WB, and you know that you need a laptop.

-PHiZ
Old 10-13-2003, 09:54 PM

You just need the ROM editor software and a chip burner to tune your car. You won't actually hook your laptop up to the hondata, but you will need it at the dyno place so you can change fuel/ignition tables and burn new chips.

Datalogging is cool to have (monitors sensors and records everything while your on the dyno), but not required to tune your car. You will need your hondata upgraded with the datalogging hardware and you will need the hondalogger software to be able to use the datalogging feature.

I just got my hondata the other day so I am still learning myself (correct me if I am wrong hondata experts ).
Old 10-14-2003, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: What all do I need to tune Hondata? (beerbongskickass)

First you have the most important componets already, the S200 and wideband. If you don't have the software, you will need rom editor and Hondalogger software. YOu will also need a chip burner (Eventually) but I HIGHLY recommend the Romulator. It will save you a ton of time tuning.

I learned and tuned all on my own. It really isn't hard as long as you have H-T.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few things on tuning Hondata:

1. If you arent using the Romulator, your wasting your time. It used to take me 3-4 hours to street tune a car, it now takes me 1-2 hours to have a car fully tuned on the street.

2. Datalogging is necessary. When tuning partial throttle/WOT throttle maps plotting the lambda and rpm on graph mode is very beneficial to see how well the fuel maps are working. The ability to monitor all the sensors is key if you are having issues with a sensor, or an electrical related problem.

3. You need a eeprom burner. The pocker programmer is a bit overpriced, there are other burners on the market but since you are forced to buy the pocket programmer with Hondata just use it.
Old 10-14-2003, 07:39 AM

Default Re: What all do I need to tune Hondata? (boosted hybrid)

Thanks Alot guys
Old 10-14-2003, 10:14 AM

I'd like to re-iterate, you DO absolutely need the datalogging.

-PHiZ
Old 10-14-2003, 11:27 AM

Default Re: (PHiZ)

is there an alternative for the pocketprogrammer/romulator??? i know that its pretty much just a rom burner/programmer. ive been doing a little research and was jsut wondering if maybe you can just use some off brand burner/romulator or would you need some kinda special hondata software for that. i know you will need the rom editor and datalogging, but do they run only with the hondata brand programmer/romultor or can you put one together yourself??? just curious
Old 10-14-2003, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
3. You need a eeprom burner. The pocker programmer is a bit overpriced, there are other burners on the market but since you are forced to buy the pocket programmer with Hondata just use it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually you don't. Any programmer than supports Amtel chips will do fine. Just create & dump the BIN.

Then load the BIN (buffer) to the programmer of choice and burn or re-flash if EEPROM, instead of ROMEditor's program (burn) feature ...

BTW: if you buy from the company directly is only $150.00 vs $180.00 from Hondata.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:29 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted hybrid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">2. Datalogging is necessary. When tuning partial throttle/WOT throttle maps plotting the lambda and rpm on graph mode is very beneficial to see how well the fuel maps are working. The ability to monitor all the sensors is key if you are having issues with a sensor, or an electrical related problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay that makes sense. I just bought a used hondata and I have the ROM editor software, but I don't have the datalogging function. I understand what I need to use the datalogging feature and why it's beneficial, but I thought I would be able to go to any dyno shop and I could tune it myself with what I have. I figured they dyno shop would be able to record certain sensors and whatever I need so I would know where to change the fuel maps and if they are working well.
Old 10-14-2003, 01:53 PM

Default Re: What all do I need to tune Hondata? (beerbongskickass)

I see what you're saying. And I think you have a valid point.

From the hondata website:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">$200 ROM Editor V3 (requires datalogging). Required for tuning yourself. </TD></TR></TABLE>

MAYBE you can use some other standalone datalogging, I don't know for sure if the romeditor relies on the datalogging feature, ask someone with some practical hands on experience, boosted-hybrid is an excellent example.

-PHiZ
Old 10-14-2003, 02:16 PM

Default Re: What all do I need to tune Hondata? (PHiZ)

Well I have been talking with a guy that is going to help me with tuning and he said datalogging wasn't "required" for tuning, but it was cool to have. I have hondata 2b with ROM editor software version 2.5 if that makes any difference. I have never had my car dyno tuned and I really don't know exactly what all you need to monitor when tuning, but I just thought that was the point of going to the dyno shop.