Notices

what about kinugawa turbo parts?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what about kinugawa turbo parts?

Hello guys.
i already have a b16a2 engine that makes 605 hp on 100ron with a garrett geniune GT3582R 63AR (1.7bar).

i want to upgrade my turbo with 0.82AR turbine house.
i saw into garrett online site that the normal cover compressor housing(like mine)
give 400-600 hp.
i checked the antisurge cover and it give 400-675 hp.
75 hp more from antisurged cover? is this normal??

i run into the shops to search about anti-surged compressor housing
and i saw this KINUGAWA company.

very good prices...
site--> http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/

i want to buy this turbine housing
AR82 turbine housing

and this antisurge compressor housing
antisurge compressor housing

can you please give me your opinion about this Kinugawa?

i communicate with them and they told me :

the turbine housing was made in Taiwan, instead of CHINA.
I can't make sure what' different between our brand and Garrett.
But we sold these housing for many years, they are high quality products.
and
Yes,a turbo with anti surge can support more power than a normal cover.
Our compressor housing also have this benefit.

what do you believe guys?
Old 07-01-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: what about kinugawa turbo parts?

I believe you're being sold some BS.......... You want real turbine housings, get the real thing.

This is what makes the Garrett turbine housings different. ( *HINT* Burst containment)
http://turbobygarrett.com/turbobygar...ontainment.pdf
Old 07-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm so you said that the performance maybe is the same.
but we have to talk about safety and quality of the materials?
Old 07-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never ran there turbo but use there turbo parts and everything is made pretty damn well.
Oil lines where great and flanges nice and heavy.

And I think anti surge turbos breath a lil better so they can output a lil more power.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by Nick_p
hmmm so you said that the performance maybe is the same.
but we have to talk about safety and quality of the materials?
No. I didn't say performance was the same. Said that the difference in materials can affect longevity and safety.

You want to take the risk, give it a shot... I wouldn't, but I'm not you..
Old 07-01-2013, 08:01 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They are a very reputable company, especially among the evo crowd. They have very quality materials and from what I've seen of their turbine housings (mac lol) they are direct Garrett copies, material type and thickness so I doubt burst containment would be as issue with this companies offerings.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:50 AM

I know they're popular with the Evolution crowd, but that doesn't mean to me that its a good idea. And material Burst containment is very important. That's why I won't take the risk. Popular is different from reputable. But again, that's just me
Old 07-02-2013, 06:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Another good idea turbo shop said me about the compressor housing, is that
He can modifie the normal cover into antisurge cover.
Worth it? Or no?
Old 07-02-2013, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by Nick_p
Another good idea turbo shop said me about the compressor housing, is that
He can modifie the normal cover into antisurge cover.
Worth it? Or no?
It depends upon whether or not you're going to go past the surge limit of the turbos capabilities (or even close), then sure, its worth it. Just remember the purpose of the anti-surge cover.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/do-all-bb-turbos-sound-like-2754533/

But it can have some benefits, sure.
Old 07-07-2013, 12:23 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

I wish I could modify my evo 8 to a ported shroud cover, but there simply isn't enough room ( I think) as an outer piece would need to be welded to the cover, forming the inlet while the oem inlet is machined with a MWE groove

The evo 9 covers have aftermarket options for ported shroud/anti surge but my 20g wheel is 5mm taller overall (hub height, main and secondary blades are also 5mm taller) this means I would have to fill in the existing groove, machine it flat and add a new groove higher up in the inlet. I would also need an evo 9 CHRA (100 dollars) everything else from my 8 turbo swaps over.

I know that with a true twin scroll turbine side response will be so fast that I'll have surge issues. Most evos running the same combo also have low rpm surge issues because of the incredible response and airflow.

Mac I need to pick your brain on AIM when I get more info on this wheel (20g with extended tip exducer, same exducer tip height, 7/7 blade config but the hub is 5mm taller than a standard 20g, which means the inducers are also 5mm taller. It has a very aggressive blade profile and thinner hub for increased surface area

The company has an evo making 600whp with this billet wheel

They made 493whp and 466tq but found the limit of the factory td05hra turbine wheel (55mm ind, 49mm exd, 12 blades. They say the best upgrade is the reverse td06sl2r turbine wheel (61mm ind, 54mm exd, 11 blades) they retain the factory 10.5 twin scroll housing but I'm wondering on my 1.8l ls/vtec if I need the bigger wheel and how much response and low/midrange torque will suffer
Old 07-07-2013, 01:31 PM

All that mumbo-jumbo from them about that 20g upgrade is just that; mumbo-jumbo. they could never repeat the results and they also sell the wheel stating that it doesn't have to be balanced when installed. The sl2R tubrine wheel was something FP used to use until they were stating to destroy themselves after using their own compressor wheel upgrade. It just wasn't worth all that mess with a honda when a good 50 trim is easily larger and in better standing (I would still put those in 20g td06 housings) than all that nonsense.

It was actually entertaining to see.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Well I've decided to use my evo 8 turbo for the civic. After all I'm wanting the best response possible and midrange torque.

I am debating about getting a 9 chra so I can have access to the larger compressor cover but this wheel is definitely the way to go as far as 20g wheels are concerned. The plus side is it requires no extra machine work if you already have a cover machined for a 20g wheel.

The 601whp evo used a 14cm mhi diesel turbine housing to fit the td06sl2 and you could tell it was too laggy. Everyone that upgrades to the sl2 wheel while keeping the factory 10.5cm twin scroll housing says that little is lost in the way of response, especially on motors with ported heads and cams. The extra head flow counters the larger turbine wheel.

I'm talking with the guy about his extended tip, 5mm taller 20g wheel to get some more detailed info, he showed a dyno with the billet 20g and the stock td05hra turbine(unclipped) and the car (stock motor) was making 466ftlb by 4500ish rpm and 493whp, car dropped off after 6500 because of the turbine wheel but said when cams were installed the car carried the power and torque across the rpm range.

It sounds perfect for what I'm wanting but trying to relate evo results to the honda world is a crap shoot, as we have a better flowing stock intake ports by over 50cfm(b16) but the evo has a better flowing stock exhaust port by 50ish cfm.

I know with a light port and the gsc t1s my car should have all the head flow it needs, which will be a huge benefit to midrange torque production, especially with my 46mm itbs and semi-elaborate meth injection setup
Old 07-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Oh and these aren't kinugawa parts, compressor wheel is machined here in the US out of 7075 T6 and I would use a genuine MHI TD06SL2R turbine wheel IF I went that way

Hell the billet wheel is only 185

And with how cheap I got this turbo, I can do everything I want and have a new custom evo turbo for sub 500 dollars and when I decide to change the setup I can sell the turbo to the evo crowd and make a decent profit