Notices

Went to the dyno today, came back a little disapointed

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2004, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to the dyno today, came back a little disapointed

http://www.we-todd-did-racing....D.jpg

That link will take you to a scan of my dyno plot. It's huge and I have no way of resizing it, so copy and paste (or resize if anyone feels like being really nice).

Now, here's the dyno from the Jackson Racing site:

http://www.jacksonracing.com/S...c.gif

As you can see, I missed the mark by quite a bit. My max hp was 178.3, with max torque of 160.0.

WTF happened, why such a difference? I wasn't expecting the 230-ish JR claims, but I was hoping for atleast 200. The difference in power isn't what really bothers me though. When I asked the owner of the store what I could do to make 200whp, he told me it'd be just about impossible.

So, is there anything I can do to make 200whp? I was thinking of building the bottom end, and going with a direct port nitrous system, along with a bigger throttle body, and helping the gasses escape with 2.5 or 3 inch piping. I've also been told that at great expense and with a great deal of custom fabrication, it would be possible to add an intercooler to the setup.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 06-08-2004, 08:16 PM

Default Re: Went to the dyno today, came back a little disapointed (Panda-san)

vtec?
Old 06-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would hardly say that its impossible. Who ever told you that is very miss informed. What is your setup?
Old 06-08-2004, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Went to the dyno today, came back a little disapointed (InfamousGSR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by InfamousGSR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">vtec?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep, but I can't hear it kick in anymore because of the SC. I assume it's still engaging.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by quik1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would hardly say that its impossible. Who ever told you that is very miss informed. What is your setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>

'01 Prelude with SS tranny (the guy told me it's robbing 35% of my power), DC 4-2-1 headers, AEM CAI (had to saw off quite a bit of it to get it to fit the SC). That's it, really. The JRSC kit came with a new fuel pump and FPR, along with an engine management system.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

*edit* pic 2 big

im not to familure with supercharging, but how many pounds of boost?

Modified by b20boost at 12:01 AM 6/9/2004
Old 06-08-2004, 09:04 PM

Default Re: (b20boost)

[QUOTE=b20boost
im not to familure with supercharging, but how many pounds of boost?[/QUOTE]

Seven lbs of boost at full throttle.

Old 06-08-2004, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Panda-san)

something not right... You aren't making much more than stock horsepower and 30ft lbs more torque.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm not too famaliar with superchargers, but isn't a 13.0 A/F
a little lean for the jrsc?
what is your current exhaust setup after the header?
if you have a good tuner in your area
i would consider running a different ems
Old 06-08-2004, 09:22 PM

higher octane gas, better fuel management and better tuner, &lt;---- with that boost more than 7.5. if the guy at the shop says its impossible for a supercharged prelude to hit 200whp then he is not experienced enough with four cylinders to tune your car. call jackson racing and ask them. impossible ha. people make all motor with more power than that. just my 2 cents.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:28 PM

Default Re: (SKDRCR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SKDRCR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm not too famaliar with superchargers, but isn't a 13.0 A/F
a little lean for the jrsc?
what is your current exhaust setup after the header?
if you have a good tuner in your area
i would consider running a different ems </TD></TR></TABLE>

I can't answer the A/F question, but they assured me it was fine. I was told that anything in the 14.0 and up range might cause damage to the engine.

I'm not positive about the diameter of the Mugen pipes, but 2.25 is popping into my head. The opening on the canister is over 3 inches, but I really doubt that all of the pipes are that big.

The name escapes me, but I've heard of a really good tuner in Houston that's a member hear. I think his name is Jason. And as to a different ems, I'd planned on Hondata, but I'm told it's not possible with a SS tranny. I'm thinking about Uberdata or a VAFC, or maybe the AEM EMS.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:36 PM

Default Re: Went to the dyno today, came back a little disapointed (donkiman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by donkiman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">higher octane gas, better fuel management and better tuner, &lt;---- with that boost more than 7.5. if the guy at the shop says its impossible for a supercharged prelude to hit 200whp then he is not experienced enough with four cylinders to tune your car. call jackson racing and ask them. impossible ha. people make all motor with more power than that. just my 2 cents. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm running 93 octane right now, so the only thing to do would be to run race gas or go with an octane booster. Would these really help?

See my previous post for thoughts on engine management and tuning.

I'd like to go with smaller pulleys, but the JR tell me that the blower and engine won't safely handle more than what comes stock. IIRC, they told me that the blower can handle a max of 9psi, but I'll kill the engine before killing the blower by running that much boost.

The shop I went to is called Carboy. This is my first time dealing with them personally, but I've never heard anything bad about them. They supplied the suspension and exhaust systems for my cousin's '99 Si, and he didn't have any problems with them.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MachAF)

first off your vtec crossover is waaay off. what is it at? 5100? you see how the crurve goes down then jumps like hell. lowering the crossover to 46-4800 will gain a great bit of midrange power. the ss tranny is hurting you, but not that bad. there are h22's w/bolt ons over 200 whp.

first suggestion, dont ever go back top that shop...except to show them your 200+ dyno.

second, get a real ems, and some bigger injectors. tuning is a big problem

third, get a better header, exhaust, highflow cat (strait pipe).

biggest problem w/jrsc is the hot air it blows. i heard of some sort of aftercooler for it, but i dont know much about it, im a turbo guy. a small shot of n2o will cool it down quite of bit, but isnt goods for a full time fix.
Old 06-08-2004, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fastludeh22)

damn i took so long to reply ther was like 5 between mine and the last one i read...lol but you get the tuning point im sure
Old 06-08-2004, 10:39 PM

Default Re: (fastludeh22)

I agree on tuning, and it's a priority as soon as I have money for it.

I don't know what the VTEC is set at. I haven't been able to feel/hear it kick in since I put on the supercharger, and I don't remember when it engages.

Yeah, I'd like larger piping and a test pipe in place of the cat. I suppose I need to measure the diameter my my current setup first though.

Yeah, I lost power by the third dyno pull, and at the races a last Sunday (I think it was last Sunday) the blower got hot enough to make me call it quits. Aside from some sort of custom inter/aftercooler, and besides running nitrous though it, the only way I've heard of to cool it is with methanol injection. Well, unless you wanna drive around with a bag of ice strapped to the thing.
Old 06-09-2004, 03:01 AM

there ****** idiots if they told you 14.0 is fine. i would not drive that car tuned like that.

Landon
Old 06-09-2004, 04:02 AM

Default Re: (boosted_dc2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by boosted_dc2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">there ****** idiots if they told you 14.0 is fine. i would not drive that car tuned like that.

Landon</TD></TR></TABLE>

Definately do not drive the car until its tuned correctly. Unless you want something going wrong. Also, like suggested above your going to need a bigger exhaust setup for sure, however, that isn't what is causing your problem. Talk to some people in the area and find a good tuner, im sure you won't have trouble seeing where you are from. Thats the biggest key to forced induction and seems to be your main problem. Also, go back to that dyno shop and punch the guy in the face....and if you know anyone going to his shop for services point them in another direction. . You need to figure out where you vtec is engaging and get the x-over correct. Im sure you won't have trouble finding a great tuner in your state, you may have to travel...but its worth it.