Notices

Went to the dyno! Sohc powa.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to the dyno! Sohc powa.

**EDIT** The issues with Groundzero Motorsports have been resolved

Hey guys, I'm a newbie when it comes to dyno sessions and tuning(this was my first time at a dyno). Anyway, InfamousRS and I went to portland yesterday to have my car tuned at Groundzero motorsports. We were able to put the injectors in at Groundzero since I had a bad basemap. And thankfully the stock sleeves held up fine We were having boost spike problems however. Not sure if it's the spring in the wastegate or the boost controller.
I want to see what your opinions are of the air/fuel ratio.

After getting off the mustang dyno at groundzero we went over to Torque freaks to do a back to back comparison from mustang dyno to dynojet. To me customer service is important and it was night and day between groundzero and torque freaks. The facility at torque freaks was clean and the guys there were very informative and friendly. They explained everything that was going on for the dyno pulls even though I wasn't having tuning done there. That is when we saw the air/fuel ratio and how lean it looked in spots. The pulls from Torque Freaks dyno are at the bottom of the post

I decided that I will go back to torque freaks next week and get the map richened up, smoothed out a bit and up the boost to 15psi. The guys at torque freaks even hooked me up with race gas for the ride home

We got to talking so much I forgot to have the pulls printed up from torque freaks, but I will post them when they are emailed over to me. Low boost was set at 8psi and high at 12. It would spike to 14 real quick then come back down to 12. Not bad for a sohc though Cat is coming off, get the spike problems solved, tune for more boost and maybe hit 300whp The car is actually scary to drive, LOL. Torque steer up the ying yang and with a stock suspension even more scary. I've never driven a car that pulls so hard. the pull feels very linear. I'll also post up video footage soon.

My setup is here http://www.5thgencivic.com/myride.htm Here are the graphs. Oh and the difference between the mustang dyno and dynojet was around 25whp at 225whp. Thanks for looking and thanks to the guys at torque freaks, groundzero, and InfamousRS for all the help he has given and for building my motor Nice to meet you Kataku2K3 and CrazyCompression. I slept very good last night knowing the sleeves held up

This was on 8psi.

Here are the Dynojet plots from Torque Freaks. We stopped the pull before redline. These pulls were done no longer than 1.5 hours after the tune at groundzero Click on the thumbs for bigger pics. I usually thumb everything, but forgot to on this post If these graphs aren't scary I don't know what is

Modified by 5thgencivic at 6:23 AM 3/21/2004
Old 02-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to the dyno! Sohc powa. (5thgencivic)

Nice sohc setup! Bet it feels good to see the hard work paying off! TorqueFreaks
Old 02-06-2004, 07:00 PM

your A/F line is gross.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Vice President/CEO

Default Re: Went to the dyno! Sohc powa. (hpfsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hpfsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nice sohc setup! Bet it feels good to see the hard work paying off! TorqueFreaks </TD></TR></TABLE>

haha, totally good #'s man... i heard those folks at GZ know their stuff...

sohc@!
Old 02-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hell yeaa! sohc fo life!!
Old 02-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Horrible A/F .......

Fixe that & then make more ponies ....
Old 02-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Cruiser G)

dude, no offense, but that **** isnt tuned for a damn.

you need to go back and have that **** tuned to a straight 12.0 curve, not a 13 to 10 to 13 and ****.

if your afr looks like that, id be afraid to see your ignition curve.

i would seriously do something about that.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to the dyno! Sohc powa. (5thgencivic)

Was your Hondata even tuned or were those runs on the startup map?
Old 02-06-2004, 07:34 PM

Default Re: (Mase)

Very nice! The sohc's are popping up all over lately! I'll have to dyno mine soon.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dude, no offense, but that **** isnt tuned for a damn.

you need to go back and have that **** tuned to a straight 12.0 curve, not a 13 to 10 to 13 and ****.

if your afr looks like that, id be afraid to see your ignition curve.

i would seriously do something about that. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's the kind of feedback I'm looking for. I'm pissed. I paid $400 for the tune 0x64. Called the shop back and the guy said if I brought it back for tuning he would charge me. He said I should have disputed it there(which I should of, but he wasn't even going to print me an a/f readout until I asked for one). Seemed to me they should have been using a romulator as well for a shop of that caliber... again, my opinions only.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Went to the dyno! Sohc powa. (0x64)

Thanks for posting a pic of my tall white ***, Nate...

As for the tuning....I didn't care for the method they were using... After they finally got the car to start on a base map, they did a few low RPM pulls on the mustang dyno (to simulate street drive, from what I gathered). After each pull Kenny would pull the rom out of the ECU and walk across to the other side of their shop, to their computer/rom burner. He would make a few adjustments with the rom editor, re-burn the chip, walk back to the car, install it the rom, and make another run. He did this about 15-20 times (wasn't counting), to achieve the above numbers and a/f ratio.

I expected that he would be using the romulator, or at least a laptop in the car.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to the dyno! Sohc powa. (InfamousRS)

No problem

I'm trying to remember, but I honestly don't think he reburned the chip more than 10 times after getting the car to initially idle good. Not to mention when he took off for about 20 minutes during the tuning session....
Old 02-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (5thgencivic)

Sorry to hear that man. I know there are some members from GZ on the board so I will wait until they reply.
Old 02-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (0x64)

What was the max hp at what psi? 229whp (aka ~250whp on dynojet) @ 14psi??

THose are some damn good numbers. Like the setup ! GL with it, can't wait till the next tune man!

sohc POWER
Old 02-06-2004, 09:05 PM

Default Re: Went to the dyno! Sohc powa. (InfamousRS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by InfamousRS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">As for the tuning....I didn't care for the method they were using... After each pull Kenny would pull the rom out of the ECU and walk across to the other side of their shop, to their computer/rom burner. He would make a few adjustments with the rom editor, re-burn the chip, walk back to the car, install it the rom, and make another run</TD></TR></TABLE>

This allows the car to cool down inbetween runs, I don't see anything wrong with it.

But for 15-20 runs, that A/F is ******* unacceptable.
-PHiZ
Old 02-06-2004, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to the dyno! Sohc powa. (PHiZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

This allows the car to cool down inbetween runs, I don't see anything wrong with it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

actually your wrong, if you were to watch your live coolant temps and intake temps, you will see they wont change much at all in a few minutes (unless you sit there and do a **** load of pulls continuous) after a dyno run when the car is fully warm....

if you want to cool the motor, it needs more than a couple minutes....

its best to operate the dyno at the same temps each dyno pull.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:26 PM

Default Re: Went to the dyno! Sohc powa. (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

actually your wrong, if you were to watch your live coolant temps and intake temps, you will see they wont change much at all in a few minutes (unless you sit there and do a **** load of pulls continuous) after a dyno run when the car is fully warm....

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Where's my OWNED pic when i need it......
Old 02-06-2004, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Went to the dyno! Sohc powa. (Del_Slowest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Del_Slowest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Where's my OWNED pic when i need it......</TD></TR></TABLE>

theres no need for an owned picture. we are all here to learn, not make people feel stupid.
Old 02-06-2004, 11:54 PM

Default Re: (b18b1hmtlove)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18b1hmtlove &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your A/F line is gross.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i said it first god damnit!
Old 02-07-2004, 12:00 AM

Default Re: (b18b1hmtlove)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b18b1hmtlove &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i said it first god damnit!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Why did you reply/quote yourself? Wow...you must me lost...
Old 02-07-2004, 01:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

very impressive numbers!
long live the d series kings.
i hope to have similar number come from my zc this summer
Old 02-07-2004, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it's sad when so much hard work goes into a sweet set-up, then to have a shop mess up a tune so bad.

Old 02-07-2004, 06:06 AM

Default Re: Went to the dyno! Sohc powa. (Mase)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mase &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, that's your opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.
-PHiZ
Old 02-07-2004, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ELSpool)

Sweet setup! I hope the new shop gets your **** together!
Old 02-07-2004, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (racinskittle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by racinskittle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What was the max hp at what psi? 229whp (aka ~250whp on dynojet) @ 14psi??

THose are some damn good numbers. Like the setup ! GL with it, can't wait till the next tune man!

sohc POWER</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks guys. racinskittle the max was 227whp mustang dyno/~248whp if I remember right on the dynojet(I'm still waiting for the email) @12psi. It would spike to 14 when full boost came on then drop down to 12 for the remainder of the rpm range.

Quick Reply: Went to the dyno! Sohc powa.