Notices

WELL, I SOMETHING BLEW! D16z6 @ 10psi no more. It's just a little odd.......

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 11:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WELL, I SOMETHING BLEW! D16z6 @ 10psi no more. It's just a little odd.......

HELP! D-series Ninja down!!!!!

Here are the pics....http://www.uwm.edu/~jlradue/da...mage/

Well, I think I blew the motor or POSSIBLY something in the tranny. It's just ****** weird how it went.

Story....
This afternoon I did a compression test. 180 psi across all 4 (nearly perfect)

I was following the GF back to her house. From stop, I slammed on the gas, the revs rose fast like normal, but right at 5500 RPM. KABOOM! Sounded like something POPPED (cept really ****** loud), and then it sounded like a chunk of my downpipe was dragging underneath my car for a while. Sounded exactly like metal dragging and bouncing off the pavement, which I thought was wierd as **** (usually you get the rock sound from the oil pan). The oil light went on, and I believe the car shut off (which made the light go on just like when you kill the car), but something was still spinning(grinding?) and finally the engine just seized.

Almost everytime i've seen or heard a car blow up there was a puff of smoke, the sound of pebbles being ground around in the oil pan, a hole on the block, and **** leaking/stuff on the spark plugs.

Well, there was ******* NOTHING. I pulled out the dipstick. Oil looked perfect, spark plugs were great, No hole in the block. No antifreeze spilt anywhere. No puff or cloud of smoke when it blew. Timing belt seem ok from where I could look at it.

This is what's making me wonder if the pressure plate/clutch/or i guess (although unlikely) the flywheel basically exploded jamming up the tranny and in turned binding up the starter so the car couldn't turn over.

Ill have it back home tomorrow and torn apart by the end of the weekend, I ill let you guys know what happened, but until then.....

ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS OR EVEN EXPERIENCES WITH WHAT THE HELL MAY HAVE HAPPENED?!

Thanks

Dan Any questions feel free to ask. (And I just brought back my spare engine this afternoon, what kinda luck is that? )

Modified by racinskittle at 9:19 AM 6/5/2004

Modified by racinskittle at 12:58 AM 7/1/2004

Modified by racinskittle at 12:58 AM 7/1/2004
Old 06-04-2004, 11:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: WELL, I SOMETHING BLEW! D16z6 @ 10psi no more. It's just a little odd....... (racinskittle)

How does the car drive? you check the drivetrain?
Old 06-04-2004, 11:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WELL, I SOMETHING BLEW! D16z6 @ 10psi no more. It's just a little odd....... (turbogixxer)

Big end bearing gone my guess.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:58 PM

Default Re: WELL, I SOMETHING BLEW! D16z6 @ 10psi no more. It's just a little odd....... (turbogixxer)

Sounds like you may have melted the gears in the tranny...

Check the tranny fluid and see if its really low, tear the tranny apart, i wouldnt even touch the motor its probably ok.
Old 06-05-2004, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies guys!

Haven't checked the drivetrain or tranny yet (it was dark)
I can push the car and roll it around in neutral. it wont roll when its in gear (like normal). The gears seem a little more messy though when your shifting (idk if its just because I didn't notice it)

Oh yeah, 1 more thing about the tranny, it was STILL on the stock clutch (for 6 months). It was whining REAL bad but I never put on the 6 puck because I haven't had time.

So I was running the stocker on 10psi. It didn't seem to enjoy it because It was starting to slip bad.

The engine's probably blown and im just in denial though .
Old 06-05-2004, 12:14 AM

Default Re: WELL, I SOMETHING BLEW! D16z6 @ 10psi no more. It's just a little odd....... (racinskittle)

Did you look in the street where you heard metal on the ground?
Old 06-05-2004, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WELL, I SOMETHING BLEW! D16z6 @ 10psi no more. It's just a little odd....... (sporkcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sporkcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you look in the street where you heard metal on the ground?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, I didn't, but one of my friends was driving behind me at the time.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:11 AM

I know someone who cracked the flywheel on his D or at least that's what he tells me. Maybe it's that.
Old 06-05-2004, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: WELL, I SOMETHING BLEW! D16z6 @ 10psi no more. It's just a little odd....... (Family Guy)

sucks to hear man. lets hope its the tranny and not the motor...keep us posted.

oh, were u detonating or anything, either at the time of this incidient or in the past? if u were maybe it was slowly breaking something.....
Old 06-05-2004, 07:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WELL, I SOMETHING BLEW! D16z6 @ 10psi no more. It's just a little odd....... (blackeg)

So does the motor turn over? We can't just start guessing what happened to your car, pull the head (It takes like 2 hours) and check it out. If the pistons and cylinders look fine then drop the tranny.
Old 06-05-2004, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WELL, I SOMETHING BLEW! D16z6 @ 10psi no more. It's just a little odd....... (m R g S r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by m R g S r &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So does the motor turn over? We can't just start guessing what happened to your car, pull the head (It takes like 2 hours) and check it out. If the pistons and cylinders look fine then drop the tranny. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I already said the motor didn't

lol i know you can't guess It just seemed too weird until I thought about the timing belt. I was asking for ideas

But on a side note, I think I know what happened. I think the timing belt skipped a bunch of teeth. That would explain the loud pop and then the metal scraping sound (more like pistons hitting the valves).

Thanks guys! Im getting it back home today I believe
Old 06-05-2004, 11:44 AM

damn that sucks.
i ran the same setup (boosted del sol si) for around a year or two and luckily i had no problems. i was pushing around the same boost, but i had a smaller snail.
if you have a spare engine, then do like me and throw the working one in and rebuild the other one for more boost!!
hope u get it fixed and running soon. good luck

-Alan
Old 06-05-2004, 01:54 PM

Default Re: WELL, I SOMETHING BLEW! D16z6 @ 10psi no more. It's just a little odd....... (Pengo)

Ok I'm subscribing to this one b/c I want to know what happened

I would of definitely looked on the street where you heard the sounds.
Old 06-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Brrraaaap!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: WELL, I SOMETHING BLEW! D16z6 @ 10psi no more. It's just a little odd....... (sporkcrx)

I want to see pics of this once its all torn apart!

Blaze
Old 06-05-2004, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WELL, I SOMETHING BLEW! D16z6 @ 10psi no more. It's just a little odd....... (Blaze45)

keep us updated
Old 06-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: WELL, I SOMETHING BLEW! D16z6 @ 10psi no more. It's just a little odd....... (NewOldSkoolr)

lol...

Here's the update.

Got the turbo stuff off, head, and oil pan off. 6hrs wasn't too shabby

The #4 rod is in pieces, the wristpin was blown off, and that whole oiling assemby or whatever it is in the oil pan was busted to hell in the #4 cyl. Also the bottom of the sleeve was busted off too. (prolly where the rod hit it). (pistons did make contact w/the valves in #4 as well. OHH WHAT A SITE IT WAS!!

The top of the pistons were in great shape thought which was odd i thought. Block MAY be salvagable too, ill have to see.

Ill have pics tomorrow, just haven't gotten them uploaded quite yet. 138,000 on the motor. 10psi. I was at about 24+ degrees on the uberdata map at 10psi. I

There's no wear on the bearings or rods though which is screwy, so I dont think I spun a bearing.

Modified by racinskittle at 8:19 AM 6/7/2004
Old 06-06-2004, 11:55 PM

if the bottom of the block or cylinder webbing is broken then the block is trash, they cannot fix busted webbing because that is the main support for the sleeves and the block. go to the junkyard get a newer D16Y7 or * block (same block except Y7 has lower compression than Y8 so might be a better choice not to mention Y7 is cheaper because it doesn't have v-tec head attached) You would spend like $350 or so for a Y7 short block, and it bolts right into your car. no worries no fuss you can have the car back on the road in a weekend.

Tune that car. it detonated due to proper tuning and blew the motor.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"24+" degree's of timing owned you
Old 06-07-2004, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Blind Fashion)

lol shitty about that gay webbing. I thought that just bolts up. Ah well, onto the spare block. Time to find another I guess

350's a rip for a short block around here too. i wouldn't pay over 300 for a complete motor+tranny.

About the timing......I wanted the car fast.......didn't say it had to be reliable
Old 06-07-2004, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

damn man. were you detonating at all before or when this happend? did you ever get a chance to grab your air fuel ratios with the .bin file that you were using?
Old 06-07-2004, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sucks
i have done that 3 times

hopefully no more

anyways good luck

i have valves (brand new OEM) for the Z6 head (same for Y8) that i will be willing to sell for a very cheap price
ill ask something around 30 bucks or something... i beleive all is missin is 4 exhaust and 2 intake ones...
if u want more details or pics,. holla at me tonite and ill show them to ya
Old 06-07-2004, 10:49 AM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (USDM 4G VTEC)

at least your upbeat about it and are not suprised about the timing , timing owne me as well just not as bad , i jsut melted a piston.

pics !!!
Old 06-07-2004, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I heard that same thing at the track with my D series civic. Mine was the diff separating and launching through the tranny case. At the time I had a ACT 6 puck w/ Extreme PP. Nastiest engagment in the world no slipping ... AT ALL!!!

The tranny just couldnt hold up and when I tried to restart the twisted metal in the bellhousing wouldn't let the starter free so it was busted. I replaced 4 trannies in 6 months. But I was really hard on mine so it was expected, just expensive.
Old 06-07-2004, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

at least you sound good about it...
if that was me...it'b be shitting already...good luck and keep us informed
Old 06-07-2004, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BoostedH22Accord)

lol thanks for the reply's guys Pics are coming!

I can't really bitch though Putting the turbo on and running timing like that was asking for trouble. I knew it, but was hoping it'd hold It was definately fun!

Im happy the head isn't all wacked though.

On the plus side it allows me to put on a thicker gasket, change the anti-freeze, change the oil, rip out the Power steering, put in a manual steering rack, put in the walbro fuel pump, and lastly put in the 6 puck that I never put in. haha all at once

Quick Reply: WELL, I SOMETHING BLEW! D16z6 @ 10psi no more. It's just a little odd.......