Notices

Well I had to ask...PCV setup/removal questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Well I had to ask...PCV setup/removal questions...

I've been reading thru the archives for the past week getting mostly condradicting info. It seems like there are about 8 ways to set this damn thing up...so I can see why so many people get confused with this "so called simple" system.

I'm looking into doing a "Endyn" style of setup kinda based off of what Art has said only minus the drain back...

"This can be hard to describe with out a pic. But look at this pic below and notice where the black box used to be? I used a freeze plug and honda bond to cover it up. You then see the barded fitting just under the water pipe? Well that is going to the 2 fitting on the catch can. On the bottom of the catch can there is a drain where I tee'd off one of the lines going into the catch can so it can drain back in."

Questions...
1. I'm going to be driving around N/A for a few hundred miles before I put my turbo setup on. Will this setup still work for me with just vaccum?
2. Does this style of system eliminate the 1 way PCV valve?
3. What is the part# for the honda freeze plug?
4. Do I just connect the valve cover to the catch can as well?

It would kinda look like this...only minus the vaccum pump stuff (courtesy TrueNorthstar)

My local shop has a baffled catch can with 2 inlets and a filter on top for about $65, so I think I'm just going to buy that and make my own lines.

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-07-2004, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No love?

Old 04-07-2004, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Bryson)

I saved that pic so I could use the number later here u go.

You might wanna check out this thread also on catch cans. It will help you out a little on how to run everything.
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=722482

Old 04-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet dude...thanks for the pic.

but thats not the freeze plug tho. That is the barbed fitting that goes in the hole underneith the water pipe. I'm looking for info on the plug that goes into the stock PCV oil can part on the block.

Old 04-07-2004, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bryson)

I will try to look for the pvc plug. I have it some where, the exact size.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well I had to ask...PCV setup/removal questions... (Bryson)

For plugging the hole that originally led to the black box/breather - just go to your local car parts store and pick up a rubber plug. I don't remember the size off the top of my head, but any decent place will have it for a couple bucks- no need to order it.
I got the kind with a screw in the center - just hammer the rubber plug in and tighten the screw a little bit and you'll be all set.

Ben
Old 04-08-2004, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Well I had to ask...PCV setup/removal questions... (Bnjmn)

I believe it's ~34.2 mm. I'm having problems finding a place that still sells freeze plugs though
Old 04-08-2004, 07:33 AM

on my D serie I just let the black box open with no line... and I put a breather on my valves cover.

Why a breather tank ???

Old 04-08-2004, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well I had to ask...PCV setup/removal questions... (Bnjmn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bnjmn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For plugging the hole that originally led to the black box/breather - just go to your local car parts store and pick up a rubber plug. I don't remember the size off the top of my head, but any decent place will have it for a couple bucks- no need to order it.
I got the kind with a screw in the center - just hammer the rubber plug in and tighten the screw a little bit and you'll be all set.

Ben</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah thats prolly what I'll do. Ace hardware has these plasitc plugs that look they should work.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-08-2004, 12:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Well I had to ask...PCV setup/removal questions... (Bryson)

to remove the 2 hex bolts on the back of the block you will definetly need to buy the 30 dollar 14 mm allen hex key from snap-on /// I tried to remove it the ghetto way without any good results .... finally broke down and bought the snapon part which uses a 3/8" socket
Old 04-08-2004, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Well I had to ask...PCV setup/removal questions... (dasher)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dasher &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">to remove the 2 hex bolts on the back of the block you will definetly need to buy the 30 dollar 14 mm allen hex key from snap-on /// I tried to remove it the ghetto way without any good results .... finally broke down and bought the snapon part which uses a 3/8" socket </TD></TR></TABLE>

I just dealt with this issue a couple weeks ago. According to this thread: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=820006
the tool may be available cheaper. Of course, I spent the cash at snap-on already...
Old 04-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the info guys. yeah, I just checked it out and it fits the head of a 14mm bolt just perfectly.

I wonder if my autozone has it.