Notices

Well I WAS gonna turbo my GSR but...

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2002, 09:13 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Well I WAS gonna turbo my GSR but...

On April 5th my 2000 GSR was totaled by an idiot drunk driver. Do a search for the whole story... I think it was moved to the Kills forum... but anyway...

I got my "replacement" on Wednesday of last week and wanted to share it with you guys...
1997 Eclipse GST... When I bought it, it had 17" chrome Neepers (BLING!), Stillen front bumper, clear corner lights, Greddy SP exhaust and Extreme intake...
My current mods as of today are:
17x7 Volk GTNs with Nitto555, HKS Type1 timer (us spec), Tanabe Super Racing medalion (full 3"), Apex N1 dp (which I'll be switching to a Top Speed b/c the Apex won't bolt up to the Tanabe), Greddy upper and lower i/c piping with HKS SSQV flange welded on, HKS SSQV, Defi D Series Boost and EGT gauges...
Bought all of those in the past few days but I haven't had any time to get everything bolted on. Some parts are still in the mail being shipped but I should have everything by next weekend. Profec B, SAFC, Walbro pump and ACT 2600 will be next. Here's some pics I took today after I washed it!

I'm no longer a Honda guy But I'll still be around b/c this is still the best forum for turbo related information Honda or not! Lemme know what you all think.

EDIT: Forgot to add that it was already lowered with Eibach Sportline spring (1.6" drop).

[Modified by Tanabe'd GSR, 1:40 AM 4/28/2002]
Old 04-27-2002, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well I WAS gonna turbo my GSR but... (Tanabe'd GSR)

nice car
if i were to ever get my car stolen or get into a accident(hoping i would survive) i would go over to the dsm side. can't beat factory boost. Nice choice, just becareful with the tranny
Old 04-27-2002, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well I WAS gonna turbo my GSR but... (willyboyD16)

nice car should if got the AWD GSX , ahhhhhhhhhhh awd and boost!!! yum
Old 04-27-2002, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Well I WAS gonna turbo my GSR but... (Civ-JDM)

NICE!!!!
Old 04-27-2002, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Well I WAS gonna turbo my GSR but... (Accord94DX)

NICE!!!!
Yup, now just get a CF hood, paint that sucker green, put on some funky stickers, a big aluminum wing and you'll be set

J/K
check out http://www.dsmtalk.com for good info on DSM's

[Modified by BlueShadow, 6:33 AM 4/28/2002]
Old 04-27-2002, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well I WAS gonna turbo my GSR but... (BlueShadow)

WOW, you bought all that in a few days. Nice car.
Old 04-27-2002, 09:47 PM
New User

Default Re: Well I WAS gonna turbo my GSR but... (Civ-JDM)

nice car should if got the AWD GSX , ahhhhhhhhhhh awd and boost!!! yum
I checked one out but it was in terrible condition and the seller was a complete moron. The previous owner of my new car however took GREAT care of this car and was very easy to deal with. It was a perfect find. I was looking for either a GST or GSX... which ever one I found first. GSX = holeshot king... GST = highway roll monster (both with bigger turbos of course) I plan on getting a Forced Performance Green turbo with all supporting mods in the future but the T25 should be enough until I can afford it.

DSMtalk.com does have SOME decent info but there are also alot of moronic riceboys that post there. Lucky for me there's a bunch of knowledgable DSMers in the Orlando area that post on a local board that are cool as hell and are gonna help me out with the hard core ****. Almost ALL of my friends drive DSMs so I was pretty much peer pressured into it... but I'm not complaining until something breaks.

WOW, you bought all that in a few days. Nice car.
I had actually bought some of the **** before I got the car (rims, bov, i/c pipes) but that was after I KNEW I was buying it. It's amazing how quickly purchases can be made when your insurance co. gives you a MULTI (and I mean MULTI) thousand dollar check.

[Modified by Tanabe'd GSR, 1:49 AM 4/28/2002]
Old 04-27-2002, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Well I WAS gonna turbo my GSR but... (Total'd GSR)

i am from orlando also, if you go to the track at bithlo sometimes there is a club there all about dsm's and in fact i think the name is club dsm. also try titan motorsports 976-9sec, there is a guy jesus that is around there and he has a 600whp talon. they mainly deal with supras (some extremly fast 9 and 10 sec street supras but also have some stuff for you) do a search for that club though because i know they have a website. oh yeah nice find with the eclipse.
Old 04-27-2002, 10:56 PM

Nice car. Just curious as to how much you paid and how many miles it has? My buddy is looking into DSM's cause his 95 5 liter stang got stolen, stripped and torched. Also, what should you look for when you are buying one of those (problem-wise)?? Thanks for any help.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:19 PM
New User

Default Re: Well I WAS gonna turbo my GSR but... (d16twannabe)

I've been going to Club DSM's friday night meetings even when I had my GSR. Like I said... ALL of my best friends own DSMs and I know most of the Orlando DSM crew. They're all cool guys. So far, Racing Zone has been my main parts supplier as they have been giving me the best prices. I've been to Titan a few times and have seen their Supras (one of them recently ran 9's in street trim without nitrous). I'm not new to the Orlando import scene... just to my DSM. Thanks for the advice though.

As for what to look for when buying a DSM... I wouldn't be the best person to talk to as I had my boys help me when picking a car that was in good condition. Like any car, just make sure the main components are in good condition (especially the tranny and clutch), the turbo should spool quickly and smoothly and hold steady boost. Brake warpage is pretty common on these cars so a brake upgrade is not uncommon after purchasing a used DSM. Try DSMtalk.com for more specific info on what to look for.
Old 04-27-2002, 11:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

should have got a GSX
Old 04-28-2002, 12:12 AM

Default Re: Well I WAS gonna turbo my GSR but... (BoostinDC2)

Bad ***!! Well worth it, cept it's not a GSX
Old 04-28-2002, 02:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice but definitely needs an FMIC
Old 04-28-2002, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Watch out for crankwalk with that ACT 2600 in there.

That is a damn nice looking car.....that badly needs a bigger turbo. I can't stand the way they die out on the top end. Low end is nice though.
Old 04-28-2002, 09:03 AM
New User

Default Re: Well I WAS gonna turbo my GSR but... (Mad HXMan)

It's easy for everyone to say "you should have got a GSX"... 1st of all, 2nd Gen GSX are more rare than you might think. 2nd, to find one that hasn't been beaten on is even harder... and 3rd, my insurance co. stopped paying for my rental and I had to return it so I had no car to drive and this GST came at a perfect time. I have no regrets about not having a GSX.

Greddy Large core FMIC will prob be on by the middle of summer.

That's so true about dying out on the top end. Spools up so fast and then there's nothing by redline. After I buy all my "stage 1 and 2" mods, I'm gonna start saving for my Green turbo. One of my boys has the ACT 2600 in his 99 GST with a Big 16G and he's had no problems with it so I'm hoping I can get away with it too. We'll see though...

[Modified by Total'd GSR, 1:04 PM 4/28/2002]
Old 04-28-2002, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Beware of the infamous Crankwalk that 2nd Gens have been known for.
Old 04-28-2002, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well I WAS gonna turbo my GSR but... (speedy108)

looks sweet!
Old 04-28-2002, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My friend has a 16g ported by team rip. He has stock cat and downpipe still, but the top end is much improved! And this is coming from a 1st gen dsm that had some top end before...
Old 04-28-2002, 01:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well I WAS gonna turbo my GSR but... (Mad HXMan)

Old 04-28-2002, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Well I WAS gonna turbo my GSR but... (civicefhatchback)

Don't waste any more of your cash getting parts from companies in Japan, there are enough quality US DSM shops that you can get almost anything from for alot cheaper usually. Good luck with the GST!
Old 04-28-2002, 03:03 PM
BMW Güdentyte

Default Re: Well I WAS gonna turbo my GSR but... (ZCTURBO)

sweet!!! Have fun and happy boosting.
Old 04-28-2002, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

looks nice...i also have an eclipse!! I have a GSX though. Welcome to the club!

liam
Old 04-28-2002, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that sux about the gsr, but thats cool you went dsm.... im gettin rid of my crx that i was going to turbo for a dsm soon hopefully..... maybe when i get it ill roll up to the dsm meet up. if i get it its gona be a 1g fwd taht has some work done to it but has been garage kept for a real real eral long time.....
Old 04-28-2002, 10:11 PM
New User

Default Re: Well I WAS gonna turbo my GSR but... (ZCTURBO)

Don't waste any more of your cash getting parts from companies in Japan, there are enough quality US DSM shops that you can get almost anything from for alot cheaper usually. Good luck with the GST!
I somewhat take offense to that statement. It implies that I'm only buying 'name brand japanese' parts because I think they are the cool thing to have or something. That's definately not the case. I've researched many options on EACH part that I've purchased and I've selected what I believe to be the best part for each task at hand. I'm well aware of DejonTool, RRE, Extreme Motorsports, TeamRip and other US DSM tuning companies. Another important thing to remember: You get what you pay for. And I'm willing to pay more for parts that I'm more confident in getting the job done. Thanks for the constructive criticism though.
Old 04-29-2002, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I somewhat take offense to that statement. It implies that I'm only buying 'name brand japanese' parts because I think they are the cool thing to have or something. That's definately not the case. I've researched many options on EACH part that I've purchased and I've selected what I believe to be the best part for each task at hand. I'm well aware of DejonTool, RRE, Extreme Motorsports, TeamRip and other US DSM tuning companies. Another important thing to remember: You get what you pay for. And I'm willing to pay more for parts that I'm more confident in getting the job done. Thanks for the constructive criticism though.
well said....